Original Prop Blog

jdebord

Sr Member
Hey All,

I wanted to drop a note to the group here about my blog related to original prop collecting, OriginalPropBlog.com.

The focus of the content is original props, in the form of opinion pieces/editorials, news and events, and resources for collectors. I anticipate adding a variety of new content daily, including interviews with key principals involved in the hobby.

One of the audiences I am writing this for are new collectors - new entrants to the Original Prop Hobby. So perhaps some of you might find the content of interest.

While it may seem overly cautionary from the outset, my goal is to cover a series of very important issues in an attempt to educate collectors about some of the risks involved in collecting these sorts of pieces.

For those who may not know me, I did begin by collecting replica props several years ago, and made a transition into collecting original props. I touch on this briefly in an article I just posted today, Original & Replica Props: The Dynamics of Two Hobbies, which I thought might be an appropriate entry point into the blog for interested members of this forum.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the content of any of the articles, and invite you to reply to the articles on the blog, here, or via e-mail (jason@originalpropblog.com) if you are so inclined.

Thanks for your time,

Jason De Bord

Wow, this topic is on fire! :lol

Anyway, just one last note - I added my first interview to the site late last night, with Tim Ketzer (LINK), so I thought it might be of interest, since I know there are a lot of YourProps.com users here.

Thanks again,

Jason De Bord

I admire your dedication to the hobby Jason. Great idea and a great site. As someone who is very new to original prop collecting I have found it very useful for building my knowledge.

Joe

Some very interesting articles Jason

I think your blog contributes something different to the hobby and therefore should be praised

Well done - keep the good stuff coming!

Cheers

Jez

Again very interesting article

I was especially amused at the dealers who " post preemptive legal threats for merely discussing their offerings on discussion forums

and readily remember an INCREDIBLY bad matte painting which the dealer assured us was original. It was laughable :lol

Cheers

Jez

and readily remember an INCREDIBLY bad matte painting which the dealer assured us was original. It was laughable :lol

This one?

mattepainting.jpg

Top is a screencap; bottom was an eBay offering from e11e (Elstree Props). From the auction marketing description:

This one stood out, and with some research from a friend ......we are sure it's the hold scenes from Star Wars! If you look at the other pictures you can see a much more detailed matte, now in the LucasFilm archive, which has too many similarities to be a coincidence!
So what is it worth? We will give ebayers a chance first, but if it doesn't go for a reasonable amount we will have it framed and lit, then put it into one of the big auction houses.
This is being sent to all our private collectors, so we reserve the right to end the auction early. In other words, if you want it, bid now, if it isn't up to a decent level with 24 hours to go, we may pull it, so don't wait til the end! We haven't had to do that for many years as we usually get a fair price on ebay.
This is easily a four figure piece, and maybe five, lets see if the serious collectors are online.
By the way, whatever happened to the discussion topics here about the R2-D2 dome that was pulled from the December PiH auction?

Jason

Thanks Ben, Kev, and Apollo (sorry, don't know your name!). :)

Today's article is a featured interview with Tom Spina (LINK).

Thanks again,

Jason De Bord

Hi All,

Just thought I'd make a quick note that I just uploaded an interesting interview with Stephen Lane, the founder and owner of The Propstore of London: LINK

Thanks again,

Jason De Bord

I posted an article today that I thought might be of interest to some readers here: Prop Equity.

Funny enough, when I originally started collecting replica props, I sold off many items from unrelated hobbies (my laserdisc collection, part of my vintage gaming "museum", some toys and comics, etc.).

When I got interested in original props, I sold off all but two or three pieces from my replica prop collection, which was fairly extensive at the time (many licensed and fan-made pieces, focused fairly strongly on Star Wars).

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing if this viewpoint and practice I partake in with original props is adopted by any here with their replica collections.

Jason

was really enjoyed the articles, but when I was reading about the Ghost Buster Proton Pack that went missing I clicked to the Movie Prop Forum, and apparently you can't read it unless you're registered... the bite of it is, you can't register... got an error

but great site, well written articles

kudos!

was really enjoyed the articles, but when I was reading about the Ghost Buster Proton Pack that went missing I clicked to the Movie Prop Forum, and apparently you can't read it unless you're registered... the bite of it is, you can't register... got an error

but great site, well written articles

kudos!

Thanks for the comments. Registration has been reopened for the Movie Prop Forum, so you should be able to check out those references now.

Thanks again,

Jason

Thanks for the comments. Registration has been reopened for the Movie Prop Forum, so you should be able to check out those references now.

When I tried to register they had a requirement that you have a personal recommendation from two current members! If you can't look at the forum, how can you possibly know anyone in it? Now THAT'S exclusive!:wacko

When I tried to register they had a requirement that you have a personal recommendation from two current members! If you can't look at the forum, how can you possibly know anyone in it? Now THAT'S exclusive!:wacko

I don't want to speak for the forum admin, but I believe that requirement might have been lifted. I would recommend registering without the references, or type in "RPF OPB Topic", or something of the sort.

Thanks,

Jason

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back