Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Clown

Mine look like billy's, and were attached with staples to the wood and plastic collar I believe. My first clown also had filament tape holding it down to the collar.

The hat on my second clown was held upright by a thick wire mounted to a small wooden block. That block was nailed to the top of that T post through the head (of course I wouldn't recommend that).

How are you guys mounting the resin heads? I haven't thought about it yet, but I want an easy solution for swapping (probably Velcro or similar).

The hat on my second clown was held upright by a thick wire mounted to a small wooden block. That block was nailed to the top of that T post through the head (of course I wouldn't recommend that).

How are you guys mounting the resin heads? I haven't thought about it yet, but I want an easy solution for swapping (probably Velcro or similar).

The hat on my first clown was also held upright in the same manner. If not mistaken, my second clown is probably the same way. Not sure what they were thinking. I may change it on the second clown to insure the head does not get damaged.

I thought about cutting a piece of plywood and mounting it just inside the neck. A magnet could then be attached to either the plywood or the frame and then a piece of steel to the other. The same could probably be done with vacuum formed heads, but I would definitely use expanding foam to keep the head rigid.

My first clown has a cardboard ring that was placed around the lower "spine." I noticed the same ring in many of the other photos here on the forum. I always wondered what it was for. I originally assumed for mechanism noise containment. I found an article about the 'Harold Gale' Santa that crimsonghost has. In the article it states the cardboard was for catching any grease drippings from the mechanism. Makes sense!

I started doing more research into the Harold Gale Santas. I happened upon a pic that shows its mechanism. It looks very much like the Custom Displays mechanism - more so than even the one posted by crimsonghost.

Harold_Gale_mechanism.jpg Harold_Gale_santa.jpg

Interesting about the cardboard ring. On my clowns the power cord was dangling inside it, so I figured it was related. Maybe I'll tack one on to my clown for the heck of it.

Cool! Were you able to pull that from my previous photo? I was going to try to take a better one, but that looks pretty good already to me. I'll measure the badge and send dimensions tonight.

It's not exactly like the actual tag. I was able to find similar style lettering. It's close, but with a better photo I might be able to get it even closer, particularly the word "Malcolm." The M is different.

Ok, I'll see about getting a square-on closeup photo tonight. Since it's nailed to the base, I don't really have a good way to take it off or hand scan it.

Here are a couple more attempts at a straight on photo. Unfortunately the badge has a little wavyness (probably from being nailed in), so it's hard to get a perfect shot. Hopefully these are good enough to plug into that vector program you mentioned. If it's easier, I can always email higher resolution versions of these.

The dimensions are 2" tall by 3" wide.

DSC_9284_1.jpgDSC_9285_1.jpg

I played around with the pics. Higher resolution is definitely needed. The letters appear fuzzy around the edges when zoomed in. The vector program makes them wavy.

Cool! How long is that hair? Hopefully it can puff up enough to look right. Worst case you can always change it out if we find better hair later.

Seems like every weekend is getting consumed with trips and holiday stuff .. so not much clown work lately for me. I'm hoping after Thanksgiving to finish the base work that I mentioned previously.

I guess everybody is taking a hiatus during the holidays?, I have to admit I haven't got too much done either, just some small details,

I got my power inlets installed in the bases, I tuned up the robots, greased the mechanism, tightened all the bolts, etc., I changed the plywood arms on the one robot to wire ones to be more correct and poseable, he looked like a giant nutcracker with the plywood arms.

I got the 3.5" long, extra shaggy faux fur, it's not only longer but, it's fuller and a little more coarse, I like it a lot better for the PWBA clowns, than the 2.5", which is fine if you're restoring a stock clown.
Finally, I got the teeth and the nose hair painted on the evil clown and clear coated both heads.

I'm waiting on some loose ends, but, I should have both of them finished very soon, stay tuned:

clown hair 001.JPG clown hair 002.JPG clown hair 003.JPG clown hair 004.JPG

done clown heads 012.JPG done clown heads 011.JPG done clown heads 016.JPG done clown heads 021.JPG done clown heads 019.JPG

clowns 004.JPG clowns 005.JPG clowns 007.JPG

Cool! I am definitely being slammed by the holidays, so haven't gotten squat done lately. I did buy a new tool chest since I've accumulated so many random tools in the course of working on these clowns. I'm sure I'll get back to my clowns at some point in the holidays, since I have vacation time - can't wait!

Looking good, billy baloney! The only thing that I have accomplished is buying some 3/4" plywood. Hopefully, I can get it cut soon.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back