Judge fear

The visors are finished all but priming and painting, they are made from foam board the back is reinforced with fibreglass and resin and the fronts are reinforced with just resin. I added some nicks/cuts to give it a weathered look.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

The helmet wings are also nearly done, I fabricated a mount to connect the wings to the helmet that would be more secure.

q1.jpg

q2.jpg

ill cover them in worbla that way the wings that are mainly worbla will attach then the bolts will go through the helmet and be a secure mount

q3.jpg

cut the wings and copied the damage to them from the comic cover photo, the spines of the wings are bamboo food skewers they were the right diameter and they were already pointed.

q4.jpg

I covered the bamboo spines with worbla made the two top larger spines from just worbla then heated and attached it all together. it will still need a little adjusting once there mounted.

I genuinely can't wait to see all this come together. Whatever convention you wear this to, I'm there, I want to see this beauty up close!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

no pressure then :eek lol the helmet is all fiber glassed and coated in isopon P-38 car filler ( bondo to any one outside the uk ) it was all sanded but i had to build the peak out about 6mm ill add photos at the weekend once the peak is sanded

the helmet is almost finished just a few tiny spots to fill, i have a new appreciation for all you who make helmets with resin and filler its not easy and its hard to see the end result, I looked like a six foot snowman in the garden covered in filler dust from the electric sander but finally it took shape. The visors are not fixed nor is the helmet badge just wanted a mock up of how it would look.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG 4.JPG

now its lots of primer and sanding, working on if i should gloss black and weather down like the dredd helmets or satin black either way i will make it look weathered and worn

Been doing repair work mainly I'm working on the mark 3 visors the other two mark 1 never fit and mark 2 were to weak even after adding fibre glass and filler, the front chin guard also developed a large crack here it joins the main body of the helmet so I had to remove the internal and external parts and start again. glad it happened now rather than when t as all primed and painted.

3.jpg

I did manage to make a mold and cast some spikes from resin and add them.

2.jpg

the wings are now fixed and now its had a leveling coat and three coats of primmer hen the visors are finished ill give it a satin black top coat.

4.JPG

the mk1 helmet with mk2 chin guard and mk3 visors is done (well need a couple of small magnets to stop visors flapping)

IMG_1178.JPG IMG_1181.JPG

when I get some leathers ill make them look mad max style what I would like help/advice on is making the helmet look dusty/dirty below is a rough attempt and is changeable as is the red inside the visors is just for effect.

IMG_1194.JPG

thanks thewingedfox, yeah it would be cool having a dark judges team up. saving for the leathers and mine is done in the meantime with all the spare bits I had left I have built half a judge mortis costume and working out how to make a judge fire.

the mk1 helmet with mk2 chin guard and mk3 visors is done (well need a couple of small magnets to stop visors flapping)

View attachment 610134 View attachment 610135

when I get some leathers ill make them look mad max style what I would like help/advice on is making the helmet look dusty/dirty below is a rough attempt and is changeable as is the red inside the visors is just for effect.

View attachment 610136

Hey Gothic looking good! Cool idea to get some dust in there things look much more real when they've got a bit of crap on them :) A neat trick for dust is using a wax mixed with bentonite or flyash or whatever you've got over there. you can wipe into the low points of the object and the wax will keep it there cheers!

thanks for the tip ootagoota, yeah the dusty/grubby look is cool and more realistic

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Gothic looking good! Cool idea to get some dust in there things look much more real when they've got a bit of crap on them :) A neat trick for dust is using a wax mixed with bentonite or flyash or whatever you've got over there. you can wipe into the low points of the object and the wax will keep it there cheers!

ootagoota flyash seems to be harder to find in small amounts but I found this hope it the stuff you mean and its in smaller amounts

61-d1KGJ5iL._SL1000_.jpg

yeah man that will work! I guess it depends what kind of colouring you are going for. Flyash is a lot more grey/ brown whereas bentonite is more yellow. To be honest I have no idea what flyash and bentonite is actually meant to be used for! I've used it on a few swords and sandals prop making jobs I've worked on it goes great. When you look for a wax make sure it's not got too much solvent in it or it will attack the paint; beeswax is good

thanks thewingedfox, yeah it would be cool having a dark judges team up. saving for the leathers and mine is done in the meantime with all the spare bits I had left I have built half a judge mortis costume and working out how to make a judge fire.

Judge Fire would be cool. I was wondering if a series of small PC cooling fans with red silk to create the constant fire effect, although the cost and workload would be weighty, not to mention that the effect may not work....

Judge Fire would be cool. I was wondering if a series of small PC cooling fans with red silk to create the constant fire effect, although the cost and workload would be weighty, not to mention that the effect may not work....

I worked on it from a different angle I thought more like ghost rider the spirit of vengeance awful film but great effects looks a lot like judge fire. another way I have thought of and tested is a larva effect to give the look of fire
magma_monster_by_pratt_face-d65pnfc.jpg

I cut some EVA foam

IMG_1310a.jpg 1= back 2=chest 3&4=bottom of legs 5&6 cuffs of sleeve

also thought of the use of flame markers they use in Warhammer games to give you a flaming effect

3-Marcadores-fuego-explosion-40k-wargames-fire.jpg

there painted polyester pillow filler but looks cool, got a rough name badge and shoulder bird they need finishing ill post pics soon

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back