The (Uber) Death Star Laser Tower Project - NOW OPEN SOURCE!!!

Re: The (Uber) Death Star Laser Tower Project

Fantastic, only a minute to decide to subscribe !

Starting on the additional layers of surface plating. The panels were laser cut from single and double sheets of a resin impregnated paper board called Polybak. It's known in some places as "Laser Board" but it's just a cheap sheet material used in the cabinet trade. It laser cuts beautifully (much sharper than styrene) and the resin allows it to take paint beautifully. Before cutting I applied a high tack adhesive transfer tape to the backside so I can just peel and stick. I'm also cutting some of the flat nernie parts out of the same material.

Last edited:

Great build! The laser cutter changes everything! :)

I'm very interested in the Polybak. Do you have a vendor / distributor you prefer?

Great build! The laser cutter changes everything! :)

I'm very interested in the Polybak. Do you have a vendor / distributor you prefer?

Here's the manufacturer's website:

http://www.richwoodind.com/index.php/polybak

They have list of distributors. It is a commercial product and you are unlikely to find an online source unless you want to buy a pallet of the stuff! I found a local lumber and sheet goods supplier in Anaheim, CA that would sell single sheets (4'x8').

Northeastern Scale Models was selling it but you had to be a "manufacturer" (whatever that means) and buy a pack of 25 12"x24" sheets that they marked up at an 800% profit. No thanks!

This is all next level stuff man... Super hero like even.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

I laser cut some plexiglas to build up the box parts of the barrels. The white bits are pieces of Evergreen strip styrene glued to the inside corners to reinforce the joints and help keep everything square. (Laser cut edges tend to be ever so slightly not square and glued butt joints can go out of square unless something is used to help hold the joints at 90 degrees.)

Okay, here's a blast from the past! Back in 1984 I was a recent college graduate with a burning desire to build models for the movies. Shortly before moving to Los Angeles to pursue that dream I made a small 8 inch tall model of the Death Star Laser Tower, based on Joe Johnston's sketch. When I left for L.A. I made a display case for it and gave it to a friend who had helped me out a lot. More than 30 years later he still has the model and it's in almost prefect condition! And it's signed and dated on the bottom.

IMG_0501_zpsfyeeax8w.jpg

IMG_0515_zpswp2xvgzq.jpg

IMG_0519_zpsnwdgy1op.jpg

IMG_0514_zpsdtlz9hpq.jpg

IMG_0522_zpsg2gaxldp.jpg

IMG_0516_zpsdrhlhh2m.jpg

That's a good model there Dave; love the two signatures at the base :)

Molding and casting some of the nernies. The patterns for the rectangular parts were made using a combination of laser engraving and CNC routing.

IMG_0543_zpshhwzrkdk.jpg

IMG_0548_zpsupkqwmmx.jpg

Glad to see that the project is on going:)
Yup, had a little paying gig that was keeping me busy nights and weekends for the last month, but now I'm back on the Tower. Determined to get it done!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back