Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight (Post-release)

Meh. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a complete waste of time, but I couldn't say it rates in my favorite films of all time either. Heck, in my estimation it doesn't even rank very high among Tarantino films. I saw it. I guess that's the best I can say about it.

When Filming, be sure to swap out the actual artifact for the prop...

The guitar Kurt Russell smashes in The Hateful Eight was a priceless antique

Oops. :eek

my biggest hang up with that was perfectly summed up by someone on Reddit. When you make a movie in the 50s and it's time to eat a grilled cheese, you don't get a grilled cheese made in the 50s, you get a fresh one. In that same way there's no reason to use a 150 year old guitar for a movie that takes place 150 years ago. They should have had a luthier/prop designer make a NEW Martin-esque guitar to use.

my biggest hang up with that was perfectly summed up by
someone on Reddit. When you make a movie in the 50s and it's time to eat a grilled cheese, you don't get a grilled cheese made in the 50s, you get a fresh one. In that same way there's no reason to use a 150 year old guitar for a movie that takes place 150 years ago. They should have had a luthier/prop designer make a NEW Martin-esque guitar to use.
Seriously
Hell it looks like they already had Six ready to go . that is is just ridiculousness to even have that come close to happing !

Tarrentino probably left it in the scene on purpose to add to the authenticity.

Remember this is a guy who strangled an actress in a scene until she genuinely passed out.

Knowing an antique Martin was destroyed will spoil the movie for me a little bit every time I watch it now. Heartbreaking. On the other hand, some filmmakers have screwed up and people died, so could be worse I guess. Still, really poor form QT :(

I know Tarantino has carved out his niche in cinema (as I'm constantly reminded of by my movie buff friends) but I really missed the point of this movie. I really didn't mind the first 30 minutes in the stagecoach and I seriously believed the movie was heading in a direction I could appreciate. Well, I was wrong. I can appreciate the fine cast and the work they did given the dialogue they had. Each character had their fair share of screen time. However, like most Tarantino movies, I found the dialogue totally contrived, juvenile and almost desperate at times. There was so much repetitive dialogue that led absolutely no where. I found no advancement of plot. I saw it with a friend of mine and we were both huffing, puffing, sighing, and looking at each other in disbelief during the last 2/3rds of the movie. The 'flashback' scene seemed to go on forever and in a standard story structure it could have been introduced earlier, but clearly Tarantino didn't want it done that way. The violence is excessive and really ridiculous (in my opinion of course). I love violent movies and I agree with what Tarantino said in a popular interview with Krishnan Guru-Murthy when Django Unchained was released, that violence does 'make good cinema'. However, not quite the kind of violence shown in this movie. I was critical of Krishnan Guru-Murthy's style of questioning and felt that he was pressing Tarantino unfairly and came off pretentious, however now in retrospect I'm happy with how he was questioned. As it's been discussed many times before, I took offence to Tarantino's over use of the 'N-word'. I no longer believe it's just 'his style'. I believe there must be some inherent racism at play when a director seems to have a repetitive agenda they are pushing in movie. The justification that Samuel Jackson was the main character and some of the racist language is somehow forgivable simply because it's set in the 1800s when racist attitudes were more prevalent, doesn't sit well with me. I found the scene where Samuel Jackson tells Bruce Dern the story of how treated his son to be so deliberately contrived and the dialogue was quite simply painful to sit through. I also found it funny that Tarantino had to insert himself as narrator at certain points to explain what was happening, although nothing was really happening. I try to find more depth in the movies I watch and every time I watch a movie I am hopeful that it will make me think about it long after it's over. A good cast alone can't make me praise a movie for its performances. Again, to many actors it's just another paycheque and more exposure for their career. That being said, I liked all the actors in the movie. I am still of the belief that Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are my favourite Tarantino movies. I have read several reviews of Hateful Eight that seem to echo my exact opinions of the movie so at least I know I am not the only 'crazy' one who didn't like it. Again, good cinematography, good acting, and 70mm film don't automatically add to a movie's appeal, in my opinion.

I just watched this flick last night and , like so many, I almost felt bad that I didn't like it all that much until I started reading other reviews that all said the same things I was thinking. The movie was right out boring, I mean boring in the your friend is throwing a murder mystery party and you HAVE to participate boring. There was so much available to make the movie interesting but it just wasn't. It was EASILY an hour too long and I agree with the excessive use of the racial slur. Yes this is in a time where that word was thrown around as much as the word "like" is used by todays inarticulate youth. But there was no need for it in the movie, and I find that QT seems to really like using that word in his movies. As said above the intricate detailing of Sam Jacksons character's telling of how he killed the old mans son was just not necessary. As for the violence, that was the only thing that kept me watching.

All in all I wouldn't watch it again and I agree with Caveneau's more articulate review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just watched it and most of the time i was bored. Bloated, pointless wannabe murder mystery. What a waste of time and resources.

[contributes to the necro thread]

I saw it when it first showed up for rent on Amazon, and I certainly enjoyed it. it was slow, and it was long, but it was still enjoyable to me. It was more interesting to me than most murder mysteries. My main take away, is that's it's a movie I will probably only ever enjoy once. The enjoyable part was seeing what it had to offer for the first time. It's a similar thing I run into with reservoir dogs; there are lots of good parts, but they all feel a little to stretched apart for me to want to dedicate myself to just sitting down and watching the whole thing, at any given moment.

I saw it a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it. But I like how QT's movies have a more languid pace. I found it felt like it fit. And the cinematography....hoooboy, it was GORGEOUS. Shame about the Martin, though. That's really, really poor form.

Hmm ... that makes me imagine what QT's Star Trek could be .... perhaps an embellished reboot of Galileo Seven, with the crew stranded on a desolate planet with intricate character dynamics and subplots.

He had mentioned on an episode of the Nerdist podcast back when Hateful Eight came out (or maybe it was Django) that he was really interested in doing something with the Yesterday's Enterprise episode of TNG. Not sure if that's still the case, though.

Yeah, but with a reboot of OT Galileo Seven QT can easily work in a trunk shot.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back