Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight (Post-release)

I have to be the bitter old man, again, and with great demise, I have to say what an utterly boring film. Are we all seeing the same movie? Unless I passed out from boredom was the courtroom flashback scene cut? People keep saying, and I quote, "great writing" yet 9 times out of ten it seems everything someone says they do just the opposite in the following scene. This movie reminded me of the rash of Pulp Fiction wanna be movies that came out in the 90's after Pulp Fiction hit yet they tried so hard to be witty with the dialogue and slick with the story it all felt like a student film. This was THAT only with a large budget and for whatever reason, in 70mm.

Now I have to go and watch Captain Ron and Escape from New York back to back to wash this wasted three hours out of my memory.

I went and saw this movie last Sunday. it was a good movie for most of the film. I guess I'm tired of the good guys always winning. I was hoping once major got his nuts blown off and fell to the floor another shot would blow his head apart. Sadly it didn't happen..why? Cause the bad guys can't finish anything in a QT film. I was waiting and waiting for a twist to happen. Maybe Oswald would creep out a bit while the other 2 were hanging daisy up. Blow the sheriff away, leaving daisy free to do some thing crazy in a way to kill the helpless major. Like let's hang him instead.

Kurt & Jennifer were outstanding. I hope this brings Jennifer back into more film rounds.

So sick of seeing Samuel L Jackson in everything these days. I think he could have gone with major being Djanjo in the film. Used Jamie fox again in that role.

Last edited:
I saw this last night. I enjoyed the cinematography and the score...these made the movie beautiful. The exaggerated violence and language made the movie vulgar. In the end I realized I didn't have a reason to care about a single character in it, therefore I didn't care who killed whom. I also didn't like the sudden insertion of a narrator to explain
that the coffee was poisoned.

I know Tarantino has carved out his niche in cinema (as I'm constantly reminded of by my movie buff friends) but I really missed the point of this movie. I really didn't mind the first 30 minutes in the stagecoach and I seriously believed the movie was heading in a direction I could appreciate. Well, I was wrong. I can appreciate the fine cast and the work they did given the dialogue they had. Each character had their fair share of screen time. However, like most Tarantino movies, I found the dialogue totally contrived, juvenile and almost desperate at times. There was so much repetitive dialogue that led absolutely no where. I found no advancement of plot. I saw it with a friend of mine and we were both huffing, puffing, sighing, and looking at each other in disbelief during the last 2/3rds of the movie. The 'flashback' scene seemed to go on forever and in a standard story structure it could have been introduced earlier, but clearly Tarantino didn't want it done that way. The violence is excessive and really ridiculous (in my opinion of course). I love violent movies and I agree with what Tarantino said in a popular interview with Krishnan Guru-Murthy when Django Unchained was released, that violence does 'make good cinema'. However, not quite the kind of violence shown in this movie. I was critical of Krishnan Guru-Murthy's style of questioning and felt that he was pressing Tarantino unfairly and came off pretentious, however now in retrospect I'm happy with how he was questioned. As it's been discussed many times before, I took offence to Tarantino's over use of the 'N-word'. I no longer believe it's just 'his style'. I believe there must be some inherent racism at play when a director seems to have a repetitive agenda they are pushing in movie. The justification that Samuel Jackson was the main character and some of the racist language is somehow forgivable simply because it's set in the 1800s when racist attitudes were more prevalent, doesn't sit well with me. I found the scene where Samuel Jackson tells Bruce Dern the story of how treated his son to be so deliberately contrived and the dialogue was quite simply painful to sit through. I also found it funny that Tarantino had to insert himself as narrator at certain points to explain what was happening, although nothing was really happening. I try to find more depth in the movies I watch and every time I watch a movie I am hopeful that it will make me think about it long after it's over. A good cast alone can't make me praise a movie for its performances. Again, to many actors it's just another paycheque and more exposure for their career. That being said, I liked all the actors in the movie. I am still of the belief that Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown are my favourite Tarantino movies. I have read several reviews of Hateful Eight that seem to echo my exact opinions of the movie so at least I know I am not the only 'crazy' one who didn't like it. Again, good cinematography, good acting, and 70mm film don't automatically add to a movie's appeal, in my opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with the use of the n word in this film. Are we to gloss over how people spoke in these times because of the pc natural of today's world. While this film is fiction that doesn't mean people didn't use those words in this time period.

What I enjoy about his films is the fact that they fly by, 3 hours seemed like half that time. I'm less urged to check my phone and am refreshed that the dialogue and interactions make up the bulk of the entertainment.

Tarantino's films have a different feeling. They're like blockbuster indie films. All different but alike.

The man can write conversations and isn't limited by time period or setting. No matter the placement, the dialogue makes sense and is believable.

I can't wait to see what's next.

For the record QT's not a racist with a hidden agenda. He is a very loose cannon both professionally and personally but has never been a racist.

I came back from a supposed 70mm showing not long ago. I think that neither the sound nor the picture quality at the show I went to was even up to modern standards though. Was the sound an analogue mono track on the film strip itself?
We also didn't get any program but there was overture and intermission and a commemorative poster to take home afterwards.

I agree with earlier posts that the 70mm 2.76:1 format did not add anything. It is a drama set in mostly one room - not a picture that is big on visuals.
It felt as if Tarantino had a few things on his bucket list that he wanted to accomplish in his film-making career and decided to check them off all at once.

I do think that playing on tensions left after the civil war worked great - adding tension and motivation to characters' actions. There are so many Westerns set around that time period that don't even have a passing mention of the civil war, acting as if slavery and war never happened.
The cast and the characters were mostly great. I greatly enjoyed Jennifer Jason Leigh. However, while they used a real Mexican actor to play the "Mexican" guy, I expected for a long time to have the character be exposed as someone only pretending to be Mexican ...

I am also one that thinks that the violence was excessive and ridiculous, which took the edge off the violence a bit and made it feel more like an action-comedy and less of a hard-boiled drama.
I couldn't see that this was supposed to be a homage to any slasher pic or anything, like some of Tarantino's earlier work, so I couldn't see the point.

Went to the theater today to see The Revenant and on the way out asked if they had any left over Hateful Eight programs. Trying to complete my set, so they let me sort through the whole stack that they had. Unfortunately they only had the one with the Kurt Russel centerfold.

Went to the theater today to see The Revenant and on the way out asked if they had any left over Hateful Eight programs. Trying to complete my set, so they let me sort through the whole stack that they had. Unfortunately they only had the one with the Kurt Russel centerfold.

i didn't even know they had different centerfolds. I just looked at my books. I got 2 of the Mexican guy and not sure what my buddies got. Who are you looking for?

one thing that kinda bugs me about the movie. When the soon to be sheriff asked the hangman if he has the paper work for guy that killed the old sheriff. Oswaldo said yes, and shows the guy the paper work. Are we to take it as he had the paper work cause he killed the real hangman? Yet he was riding the same stage coach as the other baddies.

Loved it. Took a little longer than I might have liked getting up to speed, and maybe a few too many people knew each other to be believable, but who cares? The payoff, and the performances, were fantastic. I was hoping for more from the score, but how does Morricone top the legendary scores he's done already? There's no way.

Also, I liked how it was basically a play. Normally, I hate that, a film that is essentially a theatrical production. But here it worked. Also also, it was basically a Western Reservoir Dogs. That's not a criticism :D

Last edited:
one thing that kinda bugs me about the movie. When the soon to be sheriff asked the hangman if he has the paper work for guy that killed the old sheriff. Oswaldo said yes, and shows the guy the paper work. Are we to take it as he had the paper work cause he killed the real hangman? Yet he was riding the same stage coach as the other baddies.

Could have been that their original plan was to free the girl in red rock, and then the "hangman" paperwork could have helped, but because of the snowstorm they got stuck in the house instead.
I was expecting someone to go outside and take a dump and then come back with one one of the guns OB tossed in the ****ter, Rebuilt again covered in ****.

I loved the movie. A buddy of mine did point out that it was odd that Major Warren makes a big point about Minnie absolutely hating Mexicans and yet she didn't bat an eye when Mexican Bob walks in.

She likely didn't really pay too much attention to him. She was busy talking to the 2 stage coach drivers and then boss man guy. Plus they didn't say they were staying there that day if I recall right. So she wouldn't give a crap about 1 guy hanging out for a minute. He didn't sit down or interacted with anyone but sweet Dave & the southern General. Now if a group of Mexicans rolled into the place to rest & eat. Then i would think Minnie would get mean and angry towards them.

It's very possible SLJ's character just told the Mexican sign story to try to rattle a confession out of him. May not have been true. The letter wasn't true. I think it's up for debate about the General's son story being true...the dude lied a lot.

Saw the movie and I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was at least a half-hour too long, it didn't have enough well-placed, subtle humor that you usually see in Tarantino films, and while the actors in all parts were excellent, (especially Jennifer Jason Leigh) I didn't feel any connection to any of them either. I'd also like to know how the Major, who can barely move because his balls have been blown off, and Sheriff Mannix who can hardly stand up got Daisy strung up over a beam with a noose that just happens to be lying around?

I came out of this movie feeling more than ever that Tarantino has some significant mental health issues with violence.

As far as best movies of the year go, The Revenant was a much better film in that western genre, and the movie Room is my choice for best picture....it's brilliant!

Saw the movie and I liked it, but I didn't love it. It was at least a half-hour too long, it didn't have enough well-placed, subtle humor that you usually see in Tarantino films, and while the actors in all parts were excellent, (especially Jennifer Jason Leigh) I didn't feel any connection to any of them either. I'd also like to know how the Major, who can barely move because his balls have been blown off, and Sheriff Mannix who can hardly stand up got Daisy strung up over a beam with a noose that just happens to be lying around?

I came out of this movie feeling more than ever that Tarantino has some significant mental health issues with violence.

As far as best movies of the year go, The Revenant was a much better film in that western genre, and the movie Room is my choice for best picture....it's brilliant!

Not sure I can buy them lifting the weight, but I'm sure there was a TON of rope in a place like that, and anyone can tie a noose. I learned when I was like nine.

Its another one of those films where you think, ah its nearly over, then you realise it still has another hour left.

Some needs to tell QT that long does not always equal epic.

It was ok, but the same story could have been told in less time, I don't think we even needed the flashback at all, it just seemed like an excuse to show more people getting shot.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back