My Early Disasters pt 2 - A Biker Scout Helmet - How hard can it be?

Thanks Martini Racing! I'm all about the solidarity!

Thanks to a work-related course today, I only had time for one thing, but it's a new direction for me. Instead of covering everything with paper mache and then filler and sanding the heck out of it, I bought some Mod Podge. It's not the material I thought it was going to be, but I got the first layer on, then took the dog for a long walk and put the second layer on. I'm hoping this, plus some judicious sanding, will result in a more useful pre-paint surface than my usual paper-and-glue monstrosities.
WP_20170425_001.jpg
I've still got some building to do at the back of the helmet, and I'd like to lower that brow and re-shape the dome a little too. We'll have to see how that all goes. Before then I have to put together the Star Wars Day display, and this year it's not just going to be the helmets - there'll be figures, toys, posters, stamps and books too. Probably. Ask me about it next Monday night...

Huh. Just spent five minutes wandering the internet and noticed that the point where the brow meets the dome is all wrong. RC helmets have the dome come forward of the brow, not the other way around. Talk about something to fix in post.....

I laid down a layer of paint after two coats of Mod Podge, and it looks like it might make a good surface. There's sanding and stuff to do, and before that I have more detail to construct, plus the amendments thanks to actually researching the damn thing... Ok, this is going to take forever!

WP_20170425_003.jpg

Well you know that old quote from Theodore Roosevelt,

"Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… ."

Just think, you're enjoying yourself, really, you are :D..........

Roughneckone:cool

Careful on the sanding, Mod Podge doesn't sand -it peels away from the surface.

Ah. This might cause some issues further down the line. Thanks for the heads up, Snow Builder! (Incidentally, I went through your TARDIS in a day thread and reached new heights of admiration. That was amazing!)

Today I fitted the next piece onto the back of the helmet. The piece I had measured twice. TWICE! And I cut it out very carefully. Look:
WP_20170426_001.jpgThere's a gap! A sodding GAP! On both sides, naturally.

Sigh. Best I cut some bits out and jam them in to make good...

Oh, and I'll try stretching a piece of thin foam over the whole dome from the brow on over, to correct the brow issue....

WP_20170426_002.jpg
Now it just looks silly. I'll cut vents in to shape the thing.

WP_20170426_005.jpg
That's so much better. Now for that gap on the other side....
WP_20170426_007.jpg
Terrific.

Repeat after me: "I'll fix it in Post. I'll fix it in Post. I'll fix it...."

Beautiful day - walked around downtown Vancouver in the sunshine. Sunshine! It's like dry rain, from a blue sky! We don't see it that often, is my point....
Anyway, back in the workshop, I got the two bracers fitted to the back. I think these are the last major pieces that need fitting. After this it's detail greeblies and surfacing.
WP_20170430_009.jpg
They're not going to stay sticking out like that, btw... By the time I upload the next picture, they'll be glued in place.
WP_20170430_011.jpg
See? And you can also see the last gap in the dome where I have to fit the covering piece because of the brow issue. Measuring for this was of the "hold paper against the helmet and draw rough lines with a marker" variety because I can't figure out any other way to do it.
WP_20170430_012.jpg
But the results aren't bad. Next I slather on more polyfilla in the gaps, and switch to the front view to see if the thing has stopped looking lopsided now.
WP_20170430_013.jpg
Eh. Maybe. The combination of green foam, filler and black paint isn't doing the helmet any favours, and the serious surfacing work is yet to come, but I'm happy with the basic state of affairs. Which is good, because tomorrow I am setting up the Star Wars Day display at the library again and almost everything Star Wars I own had been packed into crates in the back of my car. And then I get to work through til 9pm two days in a row... Progress may stall at this point.

Smiling is not compulsory, but welcome! Here's the pics of the Star Wars Day display at my library*
WP_20170501_001.jpgWP_20170501_002.jpgWP_20170501_003.jpgWP_20170501_004.jpgWP_20170501_005.jpg

*The one I work at. I don't have an entire library of my own. I'm not Michael Jackson. Or someone who owns a library.

I tried a couple of coats of paint over the lousy surface. It does help having the whole thing one colour, I think. Lots of sanding and re-surfacing to do, so I'll have to pick up some more polyfilla soon. Tomorrow I have to dress up in the Shakespearean Darth Vader outfit again and go hang out at the library. What a time to be alive!
WP_20170503_003.jpgWP_20170503_002.jpg

So, yesterday was cosplaying Shakespearean Vader again. Lots of fun. I Mod podged the helmet for a better shine, and also to hold down the decals that were lifting.
Also used some to add shine to the breastplate. It's useful stuff! Wish I'd tried it years ago...

WP_20170504_006.jpg

Today I'm trying to catch up on some paid work before we go away for a week's holiday, but since I had to go to the shops, I picked up a tub of spackle to fill in the more egregious parts of the dome. Also, I came up with a plan for a lighting rig using the cheap Christmas deco LEDs I bought last year.

I cut slots into a strip of foam, then wound the wire in and out, leaving the LEDs on the surface.
WP_20170505_002.jpg
Gives a nice effect when lit up.
WP_20170505_003.jpg
This strip will fit under the brow somehow, ahead of the visor. Right now I'm nore worried about surfacing, so my spackle is the type that goes on pink, and isn't dry until it turns white. Should prevent over-enthusiastic sanding while still damp.
WP_20170505_004.jpg
Dangerously increases bubble-gum cravings though.

I'm actually relieved to know I'm not the only one who's mantra is "I'll fix it in post." For me, it's an excuse to stop sanding. I try to convince myself that enough layers of drywall putty will make it okay. (It never does).

On a serious note, the helmet looks really good. This is a tricky helmet to do because of the angles in the chin and the hollowed out cheeks. So I give you kudos for this. What are you using to power the Christmas lights? I've tried cutting up an old strand in the past without much luck. I either can't run enough power to light the amount of lights I want or I completely drain a 9 volt battery in about 30 minutes.

What are you using to power the Christmas lights? I've tried cutting up an old strand in the past without much luck. I either can't run enough power to light the amount of lights I want or I completely drain a 9 volt battery in about 30 minutes.

This was a set I got from my local supermarket - they were five bucks, and are a string of about 20 LEDS connected to a pack that needs three AAA batteries. I'm not nearly tech-savvy enough to jury-rig an actual circuit, even if it's just lights and a battery. I actually bought a rig designed for a bike wheel, since it's a better colour and waterproof, but it's way too long for the area I'm looking to illuminate. Does that help?

Also, what's the lid in your avatar? Looks cool!

This was a set I got from my local supermarket - they were five bucks, and are a string of about 20 LEDS connected to a pack that needs three AAA batteries. I'm not nearly tech-savvy enough to jury-rig an actual circuit, even if it's just lights and a battery. I actually bought a rig designed for a bike wheel, since it's a better colour and waterproof, but it's way too long for the area I'm looking to illuminate. Does that help?

Also, what's the lid in your avatar? Looks cool!

Okay, that makes so much more sense. I should really check the local dollar store to see if I can find a similar lighting rig because lights, wires and batteries just make my head hurt.

The helmet was a scratch build I did a couple of years ago. It was my first attempt at non-pepakura building. It was my version of a Halo inspired helmet. This was also my first attempt at lighting and the four lights that I used will drain a 9 volt in about 30 minutes.

I bumped into these sets at my local garden centre - they're a "warm white" rather than the clear white of the ones I got, but it's the same idea - a limited number of LEDs connected to a battery pack.
WP_20170508_002.jpg

Progress on the helmet is slow, since I'm adding filler, sanding, adding more, sanding... Tedious, but I got a good look at my previous efforts while the display was up at the library and I'd really like this one to have a smooth surface. Or at least a SMOOTHER surface. I'm going to have to dig out the dremel to address some of the areas, and the departure date for our week in Ireland is looming, plus I have work every day AND other paid work to complete before we go. I don't know, Trump thinks Presidenting is tough, but I haven't even got time for golf.

For giggles, I slotted the visor material in again, because it stops my nose poking out the front of the T-Slit. Really enjoying this build. Hope that doesn't jinx the next one.
WP_20170508_006.jpg

Back from Dublin for a matter of hours and decided to slop some housepaint on top of everything. There's a reason for this, though it may not be a good one:
I can't seem to get a good surface, no matter what I do. So, I'm thinking that a couple of coats of housepaint, plus more sanding, MIGHT give a better result than badly podged filler and/or modpodge. Plus, I had to get the thing down to a white basecoat anyway, so this is killing two birds with one stone. Hoping the stone does not go on to smash a window in the greenhouse of the grumpy man who lives next door....
WP_20170521_003.jpgWP_20170521_004.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back