1/18 Firefox

I've seen those figures before. Are they from the 1/32 scale build?
Please do a closed visor version too.

Keith

OK got a bunch of parts today. Missing just one or two. After looking over some of the parts, a few im going to scratch build. a couple others will be photo etched and the canopy frame we are still talking over how we want to adjust that. ive got about 2 weeks of just cleaning out the panel lines. then sand and prime. everything fits together great. for the pics the parts are just placed so they may be a little wonky. And theres still some support material on the parts.
Here you go.

There are some 1/18 and 1/20 scale model racing driver figures that would look perfect with a little work on the helmet.
Not that there is anything wrong with the figures you already have. Just thinking it might save you some time with them needing such little work.

Keith.

Fabulous looking, but what's it going to cost?
What a nightmare-pre-ordered my 1/48 eagle transport, the rest of the Cygnus to get, new Bandai y-wing to get and now this beauty!
aAAAARGHHH!!!!
Looks like the wife will be throwing her shoes at me after all...:wacko

Keeping the cost down sounds great, but the most important thing for me is that none of the parts are warped at all or have more than a few bubbles that have to be drilled out and filled. Gelcoat worries me a bit, as everything I've bought that's made using gelcoat has always needed a lot of work.

Can't wait to see what the castings look like.

Keith.

I can understand the reasoning behind the use of gelcoat. It gives a hard wearing and very glossy finish. It also shows up detail brilliantly, as long as it's well worked into every little nook and cranny, with a brush! Regarding the parts you bought that were warped, warping happens if the gelcoat is applied too thickly. The trick is to apply it NO THICKER than 3mm anywhere on the master. Anything thicker than that WILL warp, as the gel heats up when it's curing. Also, you have to make sure the correct amount of catalyst is added when mixing the gelcoat, too much catalyst will cause the gelcoat to overheat and warp, too little catalyst and the gelcoat will not harden at all!
Many years ago, I worked as a glass fibre laminator, making shower equipment. The company I worked for had the contract to supply the NHS and the northern Ireland housing executive with all their shower equipment. That's a lot of work...so I have a wee bit of knowledge and experience on this subject. White gelcoat was the first coat applied, before glass fibre and resin, for strength. As long as air bubbles are avoided during make-up , the only big issue should be removing the wax used to prevent the model from sticking to the mold. Warm water, fairy liquid and a decent scrubbing brush will sort that out!
I'm sure jedibountyhunter knows his stuff about gelcoat, but some reassurance would most likely be appreciated here.
Go on, tell us it's so!:)

Last edited:
Well. Ive been doing this for over 20 years. In the aerospace industry and product developement. Ive never had a problem with any parts. This is how things are made. Gel coat is an industry standard. Its very easy to get air bubbles out of gel coat. All you need is a heat gun. Apply your thin layer of gel coat. Then take the heat gun. And lightly wave it over the gel coat. It brings all the air bubbles to the top and they pop.

You can look at my X jet. No air bubbles it that. I know people get scared with glass parts. But if this was made in hollywood it would be glass. If this thing was resin it would weigh over 40 pounds and i know that would sag hard.

All i can say is i dont make crap parts. It will fit together perfectly. It will be strong. BUT. Let it be known. This is not for the beginner. You will have to assemble two major parts. I trim all parts and check the fit before i ship. So it will just need some light sanding before joining parts. I am making this kit available because i thought some guys would like one. And were fans like me and Will. So. Feel free to look me up check out my work 90% of it is on here. And if you want one. PM me

Well. Ive been doing this for over 20 years. In the aerospace industry and product developement. Ive never had a problem with any parts. This is how things are made. Gel coat is an industry standard. Its very easy to get air bubbles out of gel coat. All you need is a heat gun. Apply your thin layer of gel coat. Then take the heat gun. And lightly wave it over the gel coat. It brings all the air bubbles to the top and they pop.

You can look at my X jet. No air bubbles it that. I know people get scared with glass parts. But if this was made in hollywood it would be glass. If this thing was resin it would weigh over 40 pounds and i know that would sag hard.

All i can say is i dont make crap parts. It will fit together perfectly. It will be strong. BUT. Let it be known. This is not for the beginner. You will have to assemble two major parts. I trim all parts and check the fit before i ship. So it will just need some light sanding before joining parts. I am making this kit available because i thought some guys would like one. And were fans like me and Will. So. Feel free to look me up check out my work 90% of it is on here. And if you want one. PM me

You are awesome and I pray I can afford it. This will be epic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of us who would like to hang it from a ceiling, this would be good and those who want it displayed with landing gear down will not have to reinforced the landing gear so much.
I'm wondering, if anyone could make a flying version with ducted fan engines on this thing? That would be cool!

TazMan2000

For those of us who would like to hang it from a ceiling, this would be good and those who want it displayed with landing gear down will not have to reinforced the landing gear so much.
I'm wondering, if anyone could make a flying version with ducted fan engines on this thing? That would be cool!

TazMan2000

Didn't they crash the real RC version on Hollywood Boulevard???

That is great news because I want it landed next to my JSI 1:18 TOMCAT which I still need to get.

These are my two most favorite jets ever.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back