Screen-used Tabards, Straight or Curved?

Crimsonnaire

Sr Member
Are the screen-used tabards in the prequel trilogy straight or curved at the waist? I'm looking to purchase a set of tabards, but I'm not sure whether to look for straight or curved ones. Just about every seller offers straight tabards, though there are a couple who insist they're curved at the waist.

Judging from pictures, I'd say they're straight because of the noticeable extra length at the sides, above the waist. What say you?

I had a chance to see the Anakin tabards in person. Not sure it the same on all of the tabards, but...

They are curved, with a seam at the waist, hidden by the jedi belts (it had a snap to hold it in place.

Also, from personal experience with a Jedi costume, a little curving would help keep them all in place. Mine are straight and they need adjusting from time to time.

They aren't curved very much though, so don't go crazy with it.

Are the screen-used tabards in the prequel trilogy straight or curved at the waist? I'm looking to purchase a set of tabards, but I'm not sure whether to look for straight or curved ones. Just about every seller offers straight tabards, though there are a couple who insist they're curved at the waist.

Judging from pictures, I'd say they're straight because of the noticeable extra length at the sides, above the waist. What say you?

Hope that helps you!
http://www.theforce.com.ar/Scripts/WebFormsLibrary/MainContainerForm.asp?iAction=2&lNewsId=98
And they are not curved. They have a seem at the front.

Thats correct, not curved but they do angle...same difference really. A curved tabard is better that a straight one though

Hmm. Having a seam at the waist reminds me of Captain Carter's updated tabards. Well, I guess this settles it! They're tapered. Thank you all for the verification.

Badger, were the tabards you saw from ROTS or AOTC?

The only other detail I am trying to find is the width of the screen-used tabards at the hem. One particular manufacturer has a strong impression that they're 6" wide, but offers 7-7.5" for replicas. Did any of you happen to have measured it with a measuring tape? :lol

Do the tunics also have snaps or velcros for closure?

I forgot to bring this up:

Ep3anakincostume9a.jpg

Is there another layer of tabards beneath the vinyl tabards? This image has been shrunk to fit properly, but for those of you who have hi-res images, you'll see what appears to be a another layer of tabards made from the same material as the tunics underneath the vinyl tabards where the arrows point in this picture. In particular, the bottom arrow points to the strongest indication, in which it hangs far past the outer tunic, so it can't be a piece of the tunic.

So far, I've only seen the black/dark brown vinyl tabards offered. I've never seen 'undertabards' offered. Are the undertabards attached with the vinyl ones by the snaps, or are the two halves of the snaps joined between the outer and inner tabards?

Last edited:
Yes, there are cloth under tabards made from the same material as the tunic. They are attached to the leather tabards with velcro at the top of the shoulders on the collar side.

If you're working on an Anakin costume you should join us over at www.sonsofthesuns.com, all of the information you could possibly need can be found there.

If you're making your own, also, you may want to take into account your personal shoulder to waist ratio. What I mean is, if you've got a wide shoulder with a narrow waist, the tabbards will hang differently than if you are more, uh... column-ish. Like me. :lol It isn't much of a percentage change, but it will be noticeable. After all, the Jedi were stoic, but not stylin'.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back