Yep that made the difference. Tried the process again on the lighter half and left it 10 minutes before wiping off. That gives the paint that bit of time to set, and it remains better in the panel line recesses and leaves a thin darkening layer on the main panels once rubbed off. This enables a happy medium between the dark and light shades.

I also noticed that after drying overnight (or longer) the black oil is pretty permanent even when turpentine is put on it. This is great as I was planning on doing some rust streaks also with oils (like in one of Spencer Wests weathering videos) with Burnt Sienna colour from memory. Gives a great streak effect and realistic used detailed look.

I masked the central hexagon part as the original is ever so slightly a shade darker than its outer parts, also helps the painting of the red marks, l mixed the red with white to get that faded colour seen on the studio model but you can just simply add red then apply Tamiya Snow White from the master kit1_zpswrftzncz.jpg

Last edited:
I cut the parts from the runners then sand them then Tamiya soot the required areas. 2_zpsmuiebs4e.jpg

4_zpsgzitpygo.jpg
3_zps2hefq1bh.jpg

Last edited:
Greetings and happy new year Kuat,
ha ha! yes the pictures I put up of the ports and they don't show the blaster damage... l will put that side up soon to view,
best Jordan

Last edited:
I've lots of new ideas in progress including landing gear doors (plastic card scratch-build) for the main 3 legs attachments. (Back double two later).
Also I've researched high & low for reference to open landing doors etc & came up with a happy artistic medium...
Plus SHAPEWAYS reviews of certain parts later this year as well as other designers work when I do them.

Last edited:
Nice, (please link pictures to your own thread). I'll show better for next to nothing soon with black plastic cards of various widths ....plus interchangeable.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the new ideas Darkview, especially when they can be built from scratch for a decent price. I'm trying to be very selective with my "additional enhancement" purchases so big money is only spent on the key things.

Last edited:
Cheers, the main 3 landing gears are just about finished, took me about 15+ hours, just need to weather the doors l created so will show them in the next few days...just as well as my last few issues (inc bracket) I've been just told won't be with me till next week now! I was recently told I'd have them today latest. But lve loads to do so can wait I guess.

Hello, Thought id show you my 3 main front area legs with the added doors and pipe work. l used old guitar wiring like l did a way back on the hold and passage ways. Thanks to RIFF-RAFF Guitar shop for free near me in Sunderland. The doors are just Black plastic card glued then primed and dry-brushed. You'll see the inner fold doors that lve to paint then add (2nd/3rd picture center).
The doors themselves are interchangeable and clip out. Ive added artistic license to the making of them as there's not a great deal to reference from. I may half the doors heights.

IMG_8147_zpsjse5nuxp.jpg

IMG_8181_zpsjsvnogiq.jpg

IMG_8184_zpsl0utaezm.jpg

IMG_8192_zpskzcgcy1y.jpg

IMG_8191_zpsugaots1o.jpg

Last edited:
Looking great Darkview ! I imagine the doors will give it more character and look more like the real thing.

I've also got my local guitar shop gathering old bass strings for the hold area :) Great tip !

Is your Falcon in a state to be able to show the landing gear in place ? That would be awesome.

P.S My first pit is complete. Used your method and am very happy with the result !!

162C149A-8F15-4AD3-8457-DDC1F18ECBAC_zpsptyzfscr.jpg~original

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back