Just to show how wonderful darkview's techniques work i'd like to show my falcon again
falcon.jpg
i really appreciate your techniques and only of this my falcon is getting better i ever imagined.

Thanks you so much for sharing your know how with us

Last edited:
TIPS: To remember.
1. The gun turret wells are identical bar the L.E.D. wires, ones long than the other....
J7(shorter) for the bottom of the Falcon.
J8 (longer) for the Top. Presumably due to we lift the top gun turret off to get to display cabin.
GUN%20WELLS1_zpsbg69xcer.jpg

2. Also l've joined & painted/taped turret wells outer shell to make sure of no light leak using quality black electrically tape.

Last edited:
The engine bay light will help by being painted Black on the base with only a tad of dark blue. (bottom pic).
Because the light you see from the Sub Light Engines were mostly pure White in ESB in scenes, never mind SW.
l reckon due to Blue Screening effects of the time you see a light or blue light from time to time!.
light%20engines.jpg

Last edited:
Jordan , noticed on your post above that the recessed pits are painted black? , is there any reason for that , you planning to put some lighting in there ? Also , have you come to a decision re; the hold floor ? . Anyhoo, , you're still going great guns . Please keep posting and sharing .

Thanks Gedmac,
It's painted black to insure lights blocked on the outer hull, but I added a tad blue/dark blue to reflect in the light engines when on... stay tuned for other developments like the flooring!.

Hey Jordan, I've just finished reading the whole thread ! Someone said it was bordering on epic. I'd say it definitely IS epic.

I've taken notes, made bookmarks and feel I am also ready to use this method. Although must say had planned on using the "primer, dark panel highlight, multi layer acrylic" approach with airbrush to begin with. But this seems simpler and I believe the Falcon is also the right type of craft to apply this weathering technique to.

One question I did have. I see you weather the greeblies and pipes while still in the sprues, which is a great idea rather than manhandling these fiddly bits one by one.

Do you have any issue when gluing that they don't stick with the oils on the surface ? Or do you leave the gluing points free of paint/or clean them well ?

I also watched your recent video. Would be great to see a followup on applying the lines and streaks. The base weathering, and the streaks are for me the base knowledge and methods needed for this model. So having some additional info on those would be great.

P.S Don't know what I'm going to do now that I've "binge read" the thread :)

Hi Portaler,
Thanks a lot....hope it helps loads....To answer your questions l oil paint on the spurs (same old methods in this thread) if theirs lots to do.... then when I cut/sand them off I superglue then on with ZAP-A-GAP Meduin CA+ It's bloody evil & quite permanent ;-). I do make sure that the glueing ends are sanded and clean 1st.... but do glue what you can down first if is a bigger part that connects well etc...

also the area l cut (that's showing the cuts) I sand/cover with either more oils or Tamiya weathering once smooth.

Last edited:
Great, thanks for the answers. Geez that ZAP-A-GAP is expensive, €10 where I am. Must be good ! Although I guess I'll maybe only use 1 bottle on the build ?

Do you have any more parts where you could show some steps to the streaking you achieve (like you did for the oil weathering). Of course a video would be even better, but I know it's not your favourite "medium" :) ?

I think I recall you saying you were going to do a Tie Fighter with your Falcon. Have you got one ? How does it scale ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, think l payed £7.99 for the glue but I've had it years, l only just bought another a few weeks ago but l could do several Falcons with a bottle ;-).

The streaks are mentioned within the thread, it's basically brush/sponge what have ya then Tamiya weathering powders with occasional masking tapes.
Would love to do another video but it's finding the time with other work commitments. Still if the moments right then l will dude.

Page 2 quarter way down shows Revell 1/110 Star Wars Tie Fighter Easy Kit that's a scale match...

Hey Jordan. Have you actually finished the outer hulls ? Or is there still more to go ?

I've been ordering materials on eBay and Amazon. Almost as much fun as doing the model, well at least when the packages turn up.

What ever happened to Brian Taylor actually ? Did he stop his build or just not go on with his log ?

I've finished the outer hulls for now but when it comes all together then the ultra details in weathering/marks comes into play.

Dont know about Brain!. I'm a workaholic in my day job but l organise myself to at least 1 hour per day working on the Falcon when it's possible.

Last edited:
Still waiting for shipments so started to add the 2 pipes that l'm reliably told are missing from the build on the PORT mandibles.
l just used the round ended corners from the runners from issue 40 and short bendy wrap fasteners from a gadget for the pipes
then painted with enamel mix to match the rest and weathered... also cut some thin black plastic card I had in my toolbox.
Turned out ok and all free! It's not exact but little is if you study the ultra details.
IMG_7969_zpsvomcpkj2.jpg

IMG_7966_zpsqvzxbu2n.jpg

Below some studio shots l used for ref:
IMG_7964_zpsscrlzfug.jpg

The parts were kitbashed originally and spotted byJunk Pilot from a Tamiya's 1/35 Sd.Kfz 222. model. Check out Ktaylor thread for insanely good details from kitbashing.

Last edited by a moderator:
My day off somewhat so spent it 1st weathering level of greebies for later. Took about an hour or so.
l'm at 93 but getting these done will help more defining detailing later... it's the same methods I've used throughout the thread...
BITS_zpslz94mhdo.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome stuff Darkview.

Good thing your at 93. That tube of oils is looking pretty weathered itself and almost done, but it'll have to make it to the end !

Question: can anyone who has redone the main hold floor with ultra frosted grills/pits etc show me what they have done to replace the
4 pin main supports that were under the Deago floor, any links would be appreciated as want to see the alternatives. thanks.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back