This guy explains a bit, but not sure if you can see about the 4 pin supports ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ3ofTqN3F4&t=366s

I'm also unsure to go with Shapeways or Paragraphics etch set. They are both pretty expensive, but do look cool. I've only just started, but I'll be very interested to see which way you go and hopefully a few pics and words on the installation. :)

At the moment I'm tending to the etch set though, as you also get other detailed stuff for the nav computer, archway etc

Last edited:
Below some studio shots l used for ref:
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr300/darkviewman/IMG_7964_zpsscrlzfug.jpg
The parts were kitbashed originally and spotted byJunk Pilot from a Tamiya's 1/35 Sd.Kfz 222. model. Check out Ktaylor thread for insanely good details from kitbashing.

Hey DARK don't forget that the box on that top port mandible just behind your circles in your pics here...

IMG_7966_zpsqvzxbu2n.jpg

Is actually in the wrong position and needs to be moved to the end and edge once you have the mandible in place on the main hull as shown in your reference shots. As well as finishing off the tubing that is in the same area that just abruptly ends rather than running up under the main hull armor as it's supposed to as seen in the reference shots. (Not sure why it shrank your image so much but you of course have the original).
I figured you'd want to adjust those things and adjust the weathering on them as well...

IMG_7966_zpsqvzxbu2n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If we finite every single detail then just about every build is wrong in some way or other especially the Deago, Yeah l know the box needs moving but lm waiting till it's joined to the hull before revising and doing the smaller details in both weathering/decals/moving and what small parts l see clearly are missing about the engine portside parts. At the end of the day a happy medium will suffice.

The pipes were just a start, I've a tad drilling and ring ends to add when l look for something suitable, Already made queries about other parts. :).

Anyway parts 94-97 arrived yesterday so cracking on hopefully today if l have time.

Last edited:
Here's more of the side details in early weatthering....1st painted black then rubbed with a paper towel...you can leave it anywhere from straight away till an hour to rub off, no rush...add white spirit when needed to wipe more away... also a fine sandpaper if good to use long after dry.
Also a fine cloth, like a lens cleaner helps smooth wear n' tear.

BITS_zpslz94mhdo.jpg

FSIDE%20BITS_zpstl80e0hb.jpg

Last edited:
Stand!! Erhh, depends on its use & quality. I've an idea for loads of artistic shoots once completed;-).

Id ready want to wall mount it at some point.

Last edited:
I think Darkview and I have more or less the same plan for a wall mount for the Falcon with a few Tie Fighters or an X-Wing somehow integrated. I'm thinking the new Bandai 1/42 Scale kits out there. Just waiting for a non electric X-Wing at that scale. Another option I thought was simply hanging them side by side. Sort of like those scale posters showing Star Wars vehicles beside each other. That would also look pretty cool I think.

Dust is the only longer term issue though, so perhaps they'll all end up in a cabinet of some sort eventually.

But I'm only just starting so there should be plenty of finished Falcon pics hopefully showing peoples ideas on how to display them. (including Darkview and his Tie Fighters ;-)

I'm thinking the new Bandai 1/42 Scale kits out there. Just waiting for a non electric X-Wing at that scale.

Is there a new 1/42 Bandai kit coming out? I can only find the 1/72 kits, which are way too small. I just build two Revell 1/48 Ties to be displayed with my Falcon. 1/48 looks just a tad small, but a 1/42 would be ideal I think.

Ah sorry, I must have meant 1/48. There is a new moving X-wing at 1/48 from Bandai, as well as Snowspeeder and AT-ST. So I was hoping for some newly tooled Ties from them as well.

I think 1/48 is as close as we are going to get to this Falcon scale.

But maybe just take Darkview's artistic view, and put them behind the Falcon and write of the scale difference as perspective distance. :)

You got it Portaler... here's a few various... Not sure of the smallest here. 2 Hotwheels middle, 1 jRevell 1/110 Star Wars Tie Fighter Easy Kit.
l first mentioned on page 2 way back.
TIE%20SCALE.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, thought ld show you the Airlocks lve started from issue 95. below is raw...
IMG_8062_zpsmlzgik48.jpg

Below: with the weathering as per usual to start off with, (like pg7 standard guide) will post the finished when l've
time over this festive period. lve had a kitchen to decorate never mind the stuff we buy this time of year/work etc.
Also got in the new year Shapeways and other reviews, tips... lf you look at this picture you'll see lve cut & stuck
to the Airlocks what l deem needed to the first weathering from the runners first off!.

IMG_8073_zpspwdwrhag.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also planning to get mine started over the Xmas break. Would be great if you could outline in a bit more detail the processes you use after the initial weathering technique. From what I can recall it's weathering kit A,B or C from Tamiya and maybe a wash ? But I'm never sure to what extent, or if there is any additional weathering techniques you use on pieces like these. I was thinking of adding some small rust streaks here and there too.

Would you recommend keeping the smaller parts on the sprues for the initial weathering ? I could imagine it makes it a bit easier to handle them. Just need to be careful not to break anything I guess.

I will outline the next stages as l do them, same as page 7 etc... yes lm happy doing the black wash weathering on the runners wherever possible, l just cut them off when dry and sand the runner marks away then use the soot Tamiya kit black to cover plus the sanding is great to take off any excess dried black oil that looks wrong etc.

Hey Jordan , you've been of great help and inspiration throughout your build , thank you . Hoping you'll continue to help/advise and share right through to the end . Wanting to wish you and yours a most Merry Christmas . Cheers Ged :)

Thanks gedmac66, all the best to you & your family, that goes to all here on the forum. lm certainly going to keep on with this way into 2017, I'm in no hurry to complete it just yet.

So I've done one test piece (like a few others) before I really get started. I did it in two halves. One with less oil taken off, the other with more removed with some thinner.

At first I liked the side with more black on it, however when it comes to streaks etc I think less background black on the panels is better.

Jordan, one question. Do you typically remove the oils on the panels back to the original base colour ? I've looked through your thread and it's not always so easy to tell with the photo colours.

I did start removing the oil straight away. Perhaps I should allow to dry for a while, then rub off. That might get me a look between the two extremes. Weathering "soot" can add to the base colour I guess, but I find it's not as easy to apply as the oil.

IMG_1933.JPG

I usually leave it 10-15 mins then rub off with paper towels till I get the required effect, yours looks great, the left side looks a tad dark I do tend to add a little white spirit to a cloth and rub after... it helps the black spread & cleans panels, the base colours fine by me, it sometimes adds a satin shine to the surface tho...but that will be sorted with the Matt fixer spray l mentioned earlier in the thread towards the end of the build.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back