Hey,

I have the image bellow of the original 32" If you zoom in you can see the position of the grey areas. Seems to be the same as the master replicas version.

MYwmrP9.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0162.JPG
    DSC_0162.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 165
Yep! I've gone for that after hours of search...took stills from SW & ESB etc... Even the movies have slight variations depending on model used... The greys run off right to the edge for instance.. & it has much more greebie details on the 5ft'er but not going down that road...it's the 32" after all.
fdee5fdac511fdca7970500694ce029e_zpsceoejdyw.jpg

Last edited:
Great pictures, yes think that might be yours further up l put on of the full back radar!?. It's just that the grey strips are the wrong way round on the 5ft judging from the movie still frames on SW & ESB.!!!

I think that the way to Dish rotates and flips could lead to either configuration of the stripes with the dish facing forward.

Maybe the dish got flipped in some shots and rotated and flipped the opposite way in others?

Yep the promo photos of the Falcon in ANH of the front of the dish show weathering & blast marks that are upside down on her now

Da%20Dish.jpg

Also this was the model used in the shot of Lando ripping the dish off In RotJ

615003_424500564268217_1575473247_o.jpg

J

Last edited:
The radar details do differ loads
TOP two are from Steves MR version and so we have that in our Deago build.
BOTTOM right: the 5ft'ers details all completely different in pattern,cone etc...
20d4432e438dbb9e6fdd76c2c85538e8_zpsua7zhhca.jpg

Below:
1&2: STUDIO
3&4 MR MODEL. Images from Dropbox: Copyright to there respective owners.(sorry couldn't find names).
5efffcf1de06bdfe40d45bd072cdb290_zpsbvmvebee.jpg

Last edited:
DARKVIEW, you guys are so much further ahead re; this project , up to the rectenna and upper hull details etc. We're still on # 20 ( mag & parts ! ) , Can I please ask , with the 'oil-method ' which is the way I've definitely decided to base coat my falcon, can the 'hair -spray' method or salt- method be used for weathering purposes over an oil-based coat? And if so are there any steps ( using gloss/matt varnish on oil based coat ) , before applying the hair/salt component for chipping/weathering ? Sorry to ask, ( you're way past this stage ), but I'm just beginning to weather outer panels and trying to achieve ' realistic' chipping. Any help/advice greatly appreciated . Ged

Yep the differences are massive,..the model makers really only had to get a general impression because the 32" version was made out of necessity,.....a much lighter, highly detailed model was needed to do the more dynamic shots,....it's a stunt model,...standing in for the 5 footer,...to do the fast motion shots.

The differences were hardly seen in the films because they were disguised by motion blur

I've got a thread about the differences.....(it got a bit derailed towards the end....sorry)

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=232123&p=3536656#post3536656

J

DARKVIEW, you guys are so much further ahead re; this project , up to the rectenna and upper hull details etc. We're still on # 20 ( mag & parts ! ) , Can I please ask , with the 'oil-method ' which is the way I've definitely decided to base coat my falcon, can the 'hair -spray' method or salt- method be used for weathering purposes over an oil-based coat? And if so are there any steps ( using gloss/matt varnish on oil based coat ) , before applying the hair/salt component for chipping/weathering ? Sorry to ask, ( you're way past this stage ), but I'm just beginning to weather outer panels and trying to achieve ' realistic' chipping. Any help/advice greatly appreciated . Ged

There's the latex method also

J

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Jaitea, cool video. This method will still achieve a 3D type chipping effect? And the blue colour was just for reference I'm assuming ( lol ' blue milk' Aunt Beru, hope it's not ! lactose free! ). I'm in Aus, where would I look for the latex solution you used, and is there a substitute... ie masking fluid ?. Thanks , Ged

Cheers Jaitea, cool video. This method will still achieve a 3D type chipping effect? And the blue colour was just for reference I'm assuming ( lol ' blue milk' Aunt Beru, hope it's not ! lactose free! ). I'm in Aus, where would I look for the latex solution you used, and is there a substitute... ie masking fluid ?. Thanks , Ged

Yep masking fluid is the same stuff,...but with a colour already added,....it probably is a bit more expensive,....that big bottle I used was £5 for 500ml,....whereas a Humbrol bottle is about £3.50 for 28ml

You'd get latex from art shops or mould making stores:

http://dalchem.com.au/product/latex.html

J

Thanks mate. It'll be okay on pre ' oiled ' base coats right? i.e it won't remove the finished base coat of oil paint if ( following your u-tube video ) , I used masking tape, then apply the 'latex' method for the chipping/ weathering phase?. Will this method also work ( latex ), for preparing painting of the different coloured panels ( reds/ greys) etc., after the oil based coat has been applied and cured?. Cheers.: )

@Here's my Radar with the best of research... May detail more the base area.
f853c2add6bccd9f976d48c2a72a6de8_zps64nihkee.jpg

e26c2e2c2d7abb592d68adfb527f8932_zps99sz5892.jpg

Above & below the dish turned & rotated.
a2861c0a721888afcad422772e7fbbd2_zpsiwy0pmfj.jpg

Just adding this picture....
e9b976becb5b57d6edde703c0ab32153.jpg

Last edited:

As lve said in the past being at your stage has it's advantages... You get good research to view the pros & cons of the build and ways to work. :)

Its been years since l used hairspray for the 'chipping' effect, lll put up a picture from my old efforts of that technic l used to do with crushed tortilla chips & Hairspray soon!!!
Below: For me l used my Dremel very very carefully then with l micro brush added the dark areas...
3e23f585e7cf5328efae99d91c97a914_zps74ecnzlz.jpg

Last edited:
The video seemed to be steps 1-10, but with steps 6-9 missing. What happens between putting on the blue stuff and the finished model?

You spray the areas with the colour you want,....when dry, you remove the the paper mask,....then rub off the latex rubber mask,...thats it

Then you are free to weather on top of that

J

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back