Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. Member Since
    Oct 2013
    Jun 24, 2015, 11:34 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #51

So I just ordered my subscription for the DeAgo MF here in the US and have been looking at all the AMAZING custom builds that you folks in the UK have been doing. I have to say, your use of "greeblies" is astonishing! I'm following this build with enthusiasm and can't wait to see the finished product. GREAT JOB!
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 24, 2015, 1:06 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #52

Thanks Engwar glad your onboard & look for to seeing your build too..
    Jun 24, 2015, 2:20 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #53

DV, I like your 'gas pump' design; it sure looks the part. For myself, I figured 'fueling up' for the MF would be like dropping a core on a nuke carrier. In fact, I see that large M60 Patton tank hull part (at least that is what I think it is...) on the underside of the engine deck would represent the loading port / shield for the engine's fuel 'module'. Any hose connections seen in the movie were in my mind for consumable liquids & gases. Guess that jives if you imagine some of the thrust & control forces come from expelled matter (aka reaction jets.)

So, all good!
    R/ Robert
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 24, 2015, 3:54 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #54

Yeah.. That's sounds great rbeach .lve in mind a gas & air pump as well as a water jet for cleaning ships..
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 25, 2015 at 9:55 AM. Reason: More info
    Jun 25, 2015, 3:44 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #55

DARKVIEW said: View Post
    Yeah.. That's sounds great rbeach .lve in mind a gas & air pump as well as a water jet for cleaning ships..
    Just not on Tatooine! Only sand baths there...

R/ Robert
  6. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Jun 28, 2015, 9:23 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #56

Hey Dark view your build is AMAZING! I just joined the rpf and this is my first post all because I want to follow your build!

I wanted to ask you, when you do your buffing could you go into a but more detail? Like how much paint do you apply? Where do you apply it? When do you buff? Do you wait until it dries or buff immediately? Etc...I would love to see a YouTube video of you doing some of this work in action! It's really inspiring to me!

Also would love some detail on how you did your hull work so far. That's also looking amazing.

What's really cool is that your taking the time to take really good photos of your work. You have a great sense of lighting with your setup.

Anyway, that's alot of info I am asking for so feel free to ignore most of my ramblings. Either way I will be following your build with great interest.

Keep it up.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 29, 2015, 3:21 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #57

Thanks sircharles77, welcome. l mention earlier in this thread the materials and method of using quick Winsor & Newton drying oils namely the Lamp Black... The hull is mentioned too...
    Here's an example of the main hold floor.. With a small brush apply into the crack areas..... That's Straight from the tube and on the model floor (no prime or treatment)...

With a soft cloth rub in till you get the required effect and if you rub the central part of the squares it makes each tile look more prominent.. It looks good up to that stage but you can add a slight metallic effect by adding a very small amount of Rub n Buff pewter to a new cloth and rub in ...you can repeat the black oil process if needed.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 29, 2015, 6:52 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #58

Just added the maintaince floor hatch by cutting it out and adding pipes & beams...thats as deep as l can go for now...ld love to have done the depth detail of pipes & mechanisms but there will be no space due to when it's fitted and the underbase 4 nodes/pegs, so beware if your thinking of doing any deep hole extension work.... Least till its near fitting.

The floor grating l may address later too..

Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 29, 2015 at 7:51 AM. Reason: More info..
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2015
    Jun 29, 2015, 8:48 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #59

Darkview I read your earlier posts and this image of how you added the oils before buffing does clear up that question for me. But the other one is when to buff? Do you start buffing while the paint is still wet? Or once it's mostly dry?
  10. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Jun 29, 2015, 12:29 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #60

SirCharles77 said: View Post
    Darkview I read your earlier posts and this image of how you added the oils before buffing does clear up that question for me. But the other one is when to buff? Do you start buffing while the paint is still wet? Or once it's mostly dry?

Help us Darkview, you are our only hope.

I had the exact same question.

I am really excited about using this technique on this and other models/props. It seams to replace the "blackwash" in a lot of cases which is great as I have never had much luck with that. Kind of hit and miss.

Thanks so much for explaining all your techniques.

Tom
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 29, 2015, 1:03 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #61

. Cheers all...1&2 best...

I've just received my issues 19-22 at last so plenty to do, anyway hope this helps :-) l'll try & explain as best l can...

1. Rub n Buff, put a small squeeze of it on a paper towel.. This stuffs potent & goes far... Dab your cloth (mines a black lens cloth from specsavers) in it then rub excess off on the paper towel (bit like drybrushing) Rub like mad the flooring I left it an hour or two.. This is only if you want a metallic like effect..,

2. The black oils into the crevices with brush..and used another lens cloth to rub it in...left that for at leased 5 hours..

If you've used to much of either...put a tad of white spirit on your cloth and rub, it will take mistakes away.. Trial & error till you get your own happy medium.. You can add more pewter buff if you've added to much black visa versa ...

This technic is only suited to the plastics that are pre-coloured in models...as you can imagine a primed & painted model would have their colours worn off with vigorous rubbing & a big no no on matt prayed surfaces. :-)

Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 29, 2015 at 6:16 PM. Reason: More info
  12. RPF Premium Member Hope4Sun's Avatar
    From
    London
    Jun 29, 2015, 5:13 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #62

Absolutely stunning work and loving all the extra scratch work detail!, I was not going to bother with the interior on mine but certainly will now!! (when I finally get around to starting it and if I ever get a model finished lol), really enjoying the tread though, so please keep it coming as I'm learning so much and getting really inspired to make the most of mine.

Andy
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 30, 2015, 3:41 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #63

Thanks Andy, lm working on 19-22 at the the moment...bit by bit. So far no problems. As the pieces & parts grow I'm wrapping them up in bin liners & storing away till needed...this is gonna be a big jigsaw ;-).
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 30, 2015 at 3:46 AM.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 30, 2015, 10:43 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #64

Weathering of the passage tube from issue 22 etc...so far....
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 30, 2015 at 12:53 PM.
    Jul 1, 2015, 1:13 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #65

Looking great! I am really dreading all those hallway ring pads : | yours turned out great I think I will follow your paint process when I start on them.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jul 1, 2015, 1:45 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #66

Here's more of the tube halls.... Yes the rings do take time.....

17. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Jul 1, 2015, 2:55 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #67

. Cheers all...1&2 best...

I've just received my issues 19-22 at last so plenty to do, anyway hope this helps :-) l'll try & explain as best l can...

1. Rub n Buff, put a small squeeze of it on a paper towel.. This stuffs potent & goes far... Dab your cloth (mines a black lens cloth from specsavers) in it then rub excess off on the paper towel (bit like drybrushing) Rub like mad the flooring I left it an hour or two.. This is only if you want a metallic like effect..,

2. The black oils into the crevices with brush..and used another lens cloth to rub it in...left that for at leased 5 hours..

If you've used to much of either...put a tad of white spirit on your cloth and rub, it will take mistakes away.. Trial & error till you get your own happy medium.. You can add more pewter buff if you've added to much black visa versa ...

This technic is only suited to the plastics that are pre-coloured in models...as you can imagine a primed & painted model would have their colours worn off with vigorous rubbing & a big no no on matt prayed surfaces. :-)

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psg4euehby.jpg

Thanks so much for the explanation. Just a few clarifications. Sorry to keep bugging you:

I don't understand this "Rub like mad the flooring I left it an hour or two." Did you apply it all over and then leave it for an hour or two before you came back to rub and buff???

"The black oils into the crevices with brush..and used another lens cloth to rub it in...left that for at leased 5 hours." So put the oil on with a brush, wipe excess away until happy. Then leave for 5 hours. Then what??? Do you mean that's how long it needs to dry??

"This technic is only suited to the plastics that are pre-coloured in models...as you can imagine a primed & painted model would have their colours worn off with vigorous rubbing & a big no no on matt prayed surfaces." Do you mean for the Rub n buff or both that and the oil paint??? I ask because I want to use the oil paint on painted sections as well???

I promise these are my last questions until the next ones.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jul 1, 2015, 4:39 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #68

Hi,

After brushing into crevices I just rub in the black till I get the required effect and fade you see in my work.
    leave the black oils to (once rubbed) dry for at leased 5 hours before the pewter rub n buff...just where you want it...with the floor it's a tiny bit per square floor tile for instance.. Rub it in well.

Best to experiment and try testers on something similar..

This falcon models fine to use this technic on & the ready painted parts too.
  19. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Jul 1, 2015, 9:04 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #69

Hi,

After brushing into crevices I just rub in the black till I get the required effect and fade you see in my work.
    leave the black oils to (once rubbed) dry for at leased 5 hours before the pewter rub n buff...just where you want it...with the floor it's a tiny bit per square floor tile for instance.. Rub it in well.

Best to experiment and try testers on something similar..

This falcon models fine to use this technic on & the ready painted parts too.

Excellent.

Thanks

Tom
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jul 2, 2015, 2:12 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #70

No problem, have you started it and got the materials yet!?
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jul 2, 2015, 6:08 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #71

Just finished the bottom back recess...wanted to create it close to the studio oiled weathered look so used references like this flash photograph. ...

Below my fin recess.. I was tempted to add more rust but thought not so kept it subtle.

From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jul 5, 2015, 4:35 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #72

Well Degostini are to decide on a extra gift come the end of the build, suggestions are generally for a display case which I'd love. even if thats not the choice they go for... lm going to buy or make one like others l have with models l make and display. Ive 2 or so weeks till next delivery (if on time!!) So Im working on my fuel fill spaceport pump till then... just deciding on a sandy/dusty weather & base etc...
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jul 8, 2015 at 8:20 AM. Reason: More info
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jul 11, 2015, 9:16 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #73

Decided to alter the gun window to the correct angle today...10mins max job. I just followed Steve Dymszo's video instructions PART 1, (just skip by the Tamiya spray product endorsements). ;-)
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jul 12, 2015 at 6:52 AM.
  24. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Jul 11, 2015, 10:33 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #74

Just finished the bottom back recess...wanted to create it close to the studio oiled weathered look so used references like this flash photograph. ...
    http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psaluesgoy.jpg

Below my fin recess.. I was tempted to add more rust but thought not so kept it subtle.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psjgtct0n1.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psqmbzlwau.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psuhgt3sbg.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps5faejgk4.jpg

On this, first wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, and I am sorry to keep bugging you but it's really your fault for posting such amazing work. Did you just use the black oil paint on this with the molded part color as it came???
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jul 11, 2015, 11:57 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #75

Yes on the RECESS(page 11, issue 19) then rubbed away the black oils, use cotton buds for hard areas to reach if you need. do the pipes etc separate. After you do that and its dry use with the Tamiya weathering master powder kits... .it helps kits B D & C are cool for oil stains, soots & rusts etc...just experiment :-). Hope this helps.
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jul 12, 2015 at 6:50 AM. Reason: More info