Cheers CR prob over weekend, just priming it at moment... Not quite Vacformedhero....;-) here's the rough l sketched last weekend...
cd6dbc8d2fe9068113cc4ed89cdb7bc4_zpstmojgfmw.jpg

Btw Below...does anyone know if the model will come with this room? I know some modellers are making it but don't want to waste time on it if Dagostini are creating it? ...
1566152f144f7f9ec1c5ace6d25ca5ef_zpsss1votdq.jpg

Last edited:
Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build

I mainly used quick drying oils like so...the lamp black is my mainly used colour, l simply applied it to all crevices then with a lens cloth wipe it off & buff like crazy, it's amazing, quick & comes up with great results...straight from the models base colour as it is. If a area is wrong you can simply wipe off with a soft cloth with a tad white spirit...l even add white spirit to the oil occasionally to weaken the inner weathering and create a wash...same goes for the cabin... I'm usually an old school spray/dry brush modeller but a fellow brilliant modeller was using this technique so l gave it a go and loved it... As a artists l think of the model hull etc as a canvas and paint on it, then rub till I see the best picture... Hope that makes sense...and helps... Below the oils etc...ebay sell them.

Oh btw Cellarboy...the seats even tho l liked Dagostinis seats in the main hold (chess area) l sanded them then added the black oil & rubbed in till required effect.
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/...63c85ca86ccb90acac5bf283eb5a6_zpszxsbfmpw.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/...6cbb0ab5472b89ba5dbbb41fc6338_zpsou6kfjdh.jpg

Other equipment... tamiya weathering kits l add here and there...when the oils totally dry.
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/...4c8054681014376022ae6a431db09_zpsoysnz7gx.jpg

Plastic containers for mixing colours from time to time, but as I say it's mainly the black l use for the hull....cabin...straight from tube..
http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/...a962c86f9d1c962ed878b3b4bf988_zpszetzqfe8.jpg

Hope that's enough info but ask away ... :)

I was reading through your technique explanation because I want to try and get your results.

This may sound odd but when you say buff exactly what do you use and how do you "Buff?" The only buffing I have done on models was on gun metal grey and I don't even remember what I did, and steel wool for metal stuff.

Thanks so much.

You work is really inspiring. It motivated me to get started on mine finally. The painting and detailing was a bit intimidating.

Also if you don't mind, what is White Spirit?? Never mind. Found it. Cleaner/Thinner.

Also will the oil paints be okay once all is said and done and I cover the entire model with a spray clear coat for protection?? I assume everyone is doing that once they have the entire paint job finished???

The actual Winsor and Newton site seems to have the best price.

Last edited:
Cheers Jameth1971, When l say buff l mean rub in with a soft cloth like those we get with lens etc.. I just rub in till l see the required effect, like the underside hull for instance.

You could do tests first with a model part from something else to see how you go... Paper towels/cotton buds can be useful in
areas from time to time too.

White spirit is paint thinner/brush cleaner/turps over here. I only apply if the areas that have to much weather black from my applied oils from the brush, the brush helps you get into the small details before rubbing off etc..and it may take a few layers to build up the end results.

I've found that with these quick dry oils + the technique of rubbing it in so well that I've not needed any protection coating as yet :).

I got my oils from ebay after not finding them locally in stores.

Hope that helps, l'll try helping as much as possible and explaining as it goes... Let me know how in goes for you if you try it.

Last edited:
Well lm hoping that my monthly order arrives sometime today (it's usually a week late). But as l mention in the meantime I've been creating a STAR WARS universe kind of SPACE PORT FUEL PUMP for my FALCON. My vision is to make it look and kind of blend in to the mos eisley dock we know in STAR WARS... Hope this is ok to add with my thread.
Here's my reference for weathering etc...

267db26e998f5055354877d898670897_zpskxqcd7j7.jpg

These are most of the primed parts from kit parts & stuff l eyed up from £ shops etc... The main central part was what started the project...my old inkjet holder thingy ;-)
bdd6c887050e52747df4cc3d72804d5d_zpshjvstyha.jpg

Kind of develops as the parts grow and want various fuel pipes... I've upturned some of the pipes since this reference shoot to feel more like our gas station machines, will show them over weekend..
5a7f57fd434a166a3df9a809da7f6d3c_zpsmukzswei.jpg

Last edited:
Cheers Jameth1971, When l say buff l mean rub in with a soft cloth like those we get with lens etc.. I just rub in till l see the required effect, like the underside hull for instance.

You could do tests first with a model part from something else to see how you go... Paper towels/cotton buds can be useful in
areas from time to time too.

White spirit is paint thinner/brush cleaner/turps over here. I only apply if the areas that have to much weather black from my applied oils from the brush, the brush helps you get into the small details before rubbing off etc..and it may take a few layers to build up the end results.

I've found that with these quick dry oils + the technique of rubbing it in so well that I've not needed any protection coating as yet :).

I got my oils from ebay after not finding them locally in stores.

Hope that helps, l'll try helping as much as possible and explaining as it goes... Let me know how in goes for you if you try it.

Excellent. Thanks so much. Gonna order the oil paints ASAP.

Thanks again.

Tom

Hopefully Monday my next 4 parts of the FALCON arrive... Here's the primed FUEL PUMP for my build...
16b8087ef04a798daaf8c31ff8d6ce32_zpsj4ufhujl.jpg

ff893bc0dba7c2db30fbbece4c8ad1aa_zpssudc3fxa.jpg

Selection of pipes to rust & oil etc...
cef7d85e8c3294d637bf91ddfe58f6d6_zpsyveredt4.jpg

2bea01e5aa32b37a4d56dbacda6f0226_zpsfznqmqz1.jpg

Just need to paint & weather it.

So I just ordered my subscription for the DeAgo MF here in the US and have been looking at all the AMAZING custom builds that you folks in the UK have been doing. I have to say, your use of "greeblies" is astonishing! I'm following this build with enthusiasm and can't wait to see the finished product. GREAT JOB!

DV, I like your 'gas pump' design; it sure looks the part. For myself, I figured 'fueling up' for the MF would be like dropping a core on a nuke carrier. In fact, I see that large M60 Patton tank hull part (at least that is what I think it is...) on the underside of the engine deck would represent the loading port / shield for the engine's fuel 'module'. Any hose connections seen in the movie were in my mind for consumable liquids & gases. Guess that jives if you imagine some of the thrust & control forces come from expelled matter (aka reaction jets.)

So, all good!
R/ Robert

Yeah.. That's sounds great rbeach .lve in mind a gas & air pump as well as a water jet for cleaning ships..

Last edited:
Hey Dark view your build is AMAZING! I just joined the rpf and this is my first post all because I want to follow your build!

I wanted to ask you, when you do your buffing could you go into a but more detail? Like how much paint do you apply? Where do you apply it? When do you buff? Do you wait until it dries or buff immediately? Etc...I would love to see a YouTube video of you doing some of this work in action! It's really inspiring to me!

Also would love some detail on how you did your hull work so far. That's also looking amazing.

What's really cool is that your taking the time to take really good photos of your work. You have a great sense of lighting with your setup.

Anyway, that's alot of info I am asking for so feel free to ignore most of my ramblings. Either way I will be following your build with great interest.

Keep it up.

Thanks sircharles77, welcome. l mention earlier in this thread the materials and method of using quick Winsor & Newton drying oils namely the Lamp Black... The hull is mentioned too...
Here's an example of the main hold floor.. With a small brush apply into the crack areas..... That's Straight from the tube and on the model floor (no prime or treatment)...
808d7abd299f19548fc06d1e23f90c2d_zps300u59xk.jpg

With a soft cloth rub in till you get the required effect and if you rub the central part of the squares it makes each tile look more prominent.. It looks good up to that stage but you can add a slight metallic effect by adding a very small amount of Rub n Buff pewter to a new cloth and rub in ...you can repeat the black oil process if needed.
6683bd4778b17d934e988753ebe1ba19_zpsvwpnottf.jpg

Just added the maintaince floor hatch by cutting it out and adding pipes & beams...thats as deep as l can go for now...ld love to have done the depth detail of pipes & mechanisms but there will be no space due to when it's fitted and the underbase 4 nodes/pegs, so beware if your thinking of doing any deep hole extension work.... Least till its near fitting.

4ff1e68f4dc9316a96660627c9da143c_zpsnqtdixti.jpg

4de133b0c0051d9efc153d0a2e59839e_zpsrukgiccm.jpg

The floor grating l may address later too..

1d480d939e256867d12aa9de94ac0271_zpsz9kdpxqr.jpg

Last edited:
Darkview I read your earlier posts and this image of how you added the oils before buffing does clear up that question for me. But the other one is when to buff? Do you start buffing while the paint is still wet? Or once it's mostly dry?

Darkview I read your earlier posts and this image of how you added the oils before buffing does clear up that question for me. But the other one is when to buff? Do you start buffing while the paint is still wet? Or once it's mostly dry?

Help us Darkview, you are our only hope. :lol:thumbsup:cheers

I had the exact same question.

I am really excited about using this technique on this and other models/props. It seams to replace the "blackwash" in a lot of cases which is great as I have never had much luck with that. Kind of hit and miss.

Thanks so much for explaining all your techniques.

Tom

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back