Darkview...your falcon looks awesome and I am leaning your way to do mine. It looks like you are painting the color panels after you do the black lamp treatment, Is that right ? One of my shipments was missing a part so I have this extra part to experiment on and I am happy with the way it looks, plus I can totally mess it up and experiment on it. Are you going to do any airbrush details at all on yours ?

Can I jump in and ask what paint range those codes refer to. I'm trying to find a shade very close to the one marked 4876? Thsnks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are testor model master numbers - 4876 is concrete. dark, these are the last pictures I will post. This is actually your fault, if I had not found this thread I would not have just bought the12 back issues of the falcon. I also have picked up the A B C Tamiya weathering pastels. Love em

Madcow0812, No, lm not airbrushing till perhaps I'm Finished...that will only happen if lm not completely happy with my paint & drybrushing...
b864c8054681014376022ae6a431db09_zpsoysnz7gx.jpg

on the model surface....it's all here...look through the thread....;-)

Last edited:
It is mind-boggling that people jump into the middle of a thread like this and ask questions that needn't be asked if they just went back and read the thread. This topic is one of the best, and most thorough tutorials on painting techniques for painting any model, much less the Falcon. I have been modeling for years, and I learned a lot. A LOT, from this topic.

I must admit I always read through a thread if it interests me. On mine I do give a month by month account of it from the UK start to show my experience & tackling of it from my point of view... It's fine tho,seeing some good work...lm expecting my next delivery soon ;-)

Last edited:
TIP: If your going to extra detail the Cabin white bendy wires are great for the arches wiring...you get them from packaging of things all over... Also bass guitar strings if you have a musical instrument shop abouts....l got mine luckily in a shop for free....old strings...
e51129c39c17a8eb50b442f2b4cb715a_zpsiue3hcds.jpg

212e47b9f5d6b3fdf972825e7441f112_zpsdhvuj74v.jpg

Jordan, during my test-run I used one of the Tamiya Weathering Kits to apply the black streaks. However, just from handling (and probably being a bit rough!), I've noticed that the streaks have mostly rubbed off/disappeared - clearly the weathering kits aren't permanent. Have you considered what type of product you're going to use to seal the falcon when you've finished it? I'm assuming some kind of clear matt spray? Have you encountered this issue with the weathering kits?

It's up to all but l find my limited use of Tamiya not a problem as I only use it for streaks on the Falcon....saying that l will be using a clear matt coat on its final finish....Humbrol.

Last edited:
Issue 52 extension parts to the cockpit... & thought I'd show you my Reeves beginners brush set, for painters etc..£3 & fantastic & lasting for drybrushing... (I do use the cheap pound shop make-up brushes loads that lve mentioned) but these are great for wider area use... Sick of the Revell brushes losing hairs & generally being expensive crap!

Also the grey areas you may see in loads of photography look a blue like grey!!! NO! That's just other version etc & bad photography scans making it look that bluey shade of grey... Even my greys will be tamed down at a later state... Good thing is l can correct at any stage if I've done something wrong in shade masking...As always using the Black Lamp oil rub as a base....

The prominent greys are Humbrol tin paints mix from black/white matt mix to suit. Only one shop left in my city that sells model tin paints!!!

1bc8e5c74e9712d0567974fec81a9a80_zps4sshof8z.jpg

099a1569b88c5063813ce368bcaba8c2_zpsxevt8vju.jpg

Last edited:
You may spot one of the three red square transfers on the bend came off....that will be fixed soon as lve lots from the model kit it came from ;-)

This looks amazing. BTW the 3 red squares are supposed to be on the 32in model anyway. It's something that was only on the 5ft ship only.

I stand corrected. I guess I haven't looked close enough but just looking closer at the cockpit now and do my eyes deceive me? Is the raised edge around the cockpit windows actually thin rod/wire?

Darkview your model is just awesome! I'm from Austria and just got my first 9 issues, but I'm totally new in modelbuilding, so you're for me like a mentor as YODA in that! I really like your thread and all the tips you give to us beginners and not so talented younglings. :D
I already filled my amazn shopping cart with some tools you use, cause the only ones I used so far where a scissors and the screwdriver from issue 2! As a completely newbie to modelling and weathering I'm looking forward on getting my tamiya weathering set and trying it for the first time!

Keep on with that good work and THANKS a lot for this thread and your tips!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back