I love your painting details...I am so impressed with your work...I just started mine the other day for the very first time...working on the cockpit....thanks for the tips on the pointed Q tips....those things are perfect....lol

Apologies for momentarily hijacking your thread, Darkview. I thought I'd post the results of my practice run - using your methods/tips. As mentioned above, the Falcon hasn't been released in Australia yet - so I thought it might be prudent to buy at least one issue on eBay - and see how it goes before I start paying out the big dollars. :)

Here's one of the pieces I bought...

And here it is after applying your patented Lamp Black oil technique. Sorry - my photographs aren't that great.

I then attempted the red/grey panels. Bear in mind - this is just a practice run - the panels aren't studio accurate. Nor are the small ink pen lines.

Overall, I'm very happy with my first attempt. Hopefully I can improve the results when I start on the real thing. Your techniques worked really well!

Forgot to mention, I also utilised the Tamiya weathering kits you suggested. I used Vallejo acrylic paint for the red/grey panels (airbrushed).

I won't post any more images - but thanks again for starting this thread - a great resource (even for those of us who haven't started it yet!)

No problem K, That's great, it looks the business...really great... Bet your happy. I'm an old school modeller so when Tamiya weather kits came out l was very reluctant but now love them, they compliment the quick dry oils in my book. The using lamp black quick dry oils was a fellow artists idea over a year back, l just used different techniques/ adaptations/evolvement etc on its outcome.

On another good note l just received comlimentary parts that accidently l destroyed in a Bowie dance (see thread a few pages back, P15), the shame ;-) .. Spent the morning replacing/fixed and all AOK now...I've thanked the deagostini team...

Last edited:
I've reversed the support bolts now I'm reasonably happy with the weathered underside.....only bits lm going to refocus on later is the rusts & that awful yellowing rust parts you see on the studio ESB Falcon, but still happy as.....
ecae027ea212b3b2c4ebdec63814c151_zps5f7xwoua.jpg

f1842ca5beae48582500bc4b1c985e2d_zpsjo0fkxms.jpg

6ea68c84c5334be4143ac1e464de9166_zpsipvvh2ed.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is like a drug to me... I have to check it on a daily basis and always love what I see and appreciate the advice given.

Can I ask what you use for the "yellow" as I've not seen it listed as a product yet.

Keep up the great work and inspiring us novices

Cheers

Thanks dudes, l only want it to help builders....lm not using any true 'Yellow' as you call it but for now I'm using Tamiya E for now....it's a understanding that what l may think of as yellow may be rusty colour lve once been told, it's up to seeing more promised photo actual of the studio Falcon so I may later change its rusty yellow colours... Never been keen on the yellow marks but will follow its design.

lm so glad you lot like my help....l so enjoy this build too...

Last edited:
So what is with not providing the necessary hardware (the 6mm support bolts) along with issue 46 when they're required to do the assembly that issue covers, but to say "Hey, you'll have to wait 2 monthes or go buy them yourself"!

Come on DeAgostini, you're better than that!:facepalm

Yeah they came with issue 54 which l just got the other day!!! But l got a packet for next to nothing at a DIY shop...pack of 10s even tho I needed only 4!!! It's not end of the world as easy to pick up but l know what you mean...

Last edited:
No not the end of the world, but metric hardware is not so easy to get here in the U.S., especially very long bolts like these. At least not at the local hardware store. It just seems odd for DeAg to have done it this way.

I mentioned it being odd earlier in the thread. I got mine from screwfix UK, l hope you find a hardware outlet, yes odd to get them 5 or so issues later. Perhaps eBay or Amazon for M6 roofing bolts, 80mm in length may be of use if you want them and don't want to wait...!

Last edited:
I'd like to say that anyone from anywhere in the world (I know its just started in different countries) refrain from just adding a thread about this studio scale model from the start...yes it's very good and yes be excited!!!!... I've been a model maker (scratchbuilding & kit) for over 30 years + but this Studio Scale models thread don't need anymore, l guess if you've read a certain thread here you know what lam talking about & its been upsetting a few talented dinosaurs that remake different varieties of original crafts... ;-).

I've got to a stage in life where I want to do the best & help others do that & plus all the new guys make something amazing and go on to be scratchbuilding their own types of work in the future...

The Deago Forum/YouTube is the best place for new Falcon kit starters....or if you can add some new techniques/features to make it more exact add to my thread or the big thread chat here...or go to town if its moved by the site.

lm wanting to keep the peace between all... It's still a dying art so all should band together & help as much as possible,
yours,
Love & kit bashers,
Jordan DARKVIEW

Last edited:
I mentioned it being odd earlier in the thread. I got mine from screwfix UK, l hope you find a hardware outlet, yes odd to get them 5 or so issues later. Perhaps eBay or Amazon forM6 roofing bolts, 80mm in length may be of use if you want them and don't want to wait...!

$1.45 each (!) at my local big box hardware store. :facepalm

I've always said the world will be a much better place when it gives up on that failed experiment called the Metric System! :D

Go Empire! (Imperial units, get it?)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back