Page 2 of 41 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 12, 2015, 2:12 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #26

Love this latest Painting the De Agostini Millennium Falcon Scale Model video with Steve Dymszo. ...a kind of put up and shut up video with a sponsored can of Tamiya in hand ;-) (joking, no its useful video). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Yaj2wlHS4
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 12, 2015, 6:35 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #27

Masking the underside...Spot the mistake!!!! .... At the time of masking l used the Haynes Falcon manual as reference...it's wrong!! So re did it using other studio sources. This is just my method..most will wait l guess- especially since the Dagostini magazine will give amazing ref photographs in future issues..

Front underside....so far...

Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 14, 2015 at 4:36 AM. Reason: More info
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 13, 2015, 8:22 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #28

Extra floor buff....
  4. Member Since
    Mar 2015
    Jun 13, 2015, 9:18 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #29

Amazing, inspiring work!

What colour did you use on the walls and the darker part of the seats? I've been thinking of applying a light brush coat of Humbrol Gunmetal Metalcote and selectively buffing to give a bit of texture. Wish the rattle cans were available in Canada, but sadly they are not.
  5. Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Jun 13, 2015, 9:18 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #30

DARKVIEW said: View Post
    Love this latest Painting the De Agostini Millennium Falcon Scale Model video with Steve Dymszo. ...a kind of put up and shut up video with a sponsored can of Tamiya in hand ;-) (joking, no its useful video). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Yaj2wlHS4
    I agree. I found his comments very refreshing. Not just the caned corporate BS we often see, but one "real person" talking to others. His painting tips and behind the scenes knowledge are good into.
    From
    Ireland
    Jun 13, 2015, 10:10 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #31

Brilliant thread dark view , can you give us an overview of your methods for hull weathering , is it pastels only or is there pin washes involved ?
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 13, 2015, 11:29 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #32

I mainly used quick drying oils like so...the lamp black is my mainly used colour, l simply applied it to all crevices then with a lens cloth wipe it off & buff like crazy, it's amazing, quick & comes up with great results...straight from the models base colour as it is. If a area is wrong you can simply wipe off with a soft cloth with a tad white spirit...l even add white spirit to the oil occasionally to weaken the inner weathering and create a wash...same goes for the cabin... I'm usually an old school spray/dry brush modeller but a fellow brilliant modeller was using this technique so l gave it a go and loved it... As a artists l think of the model hull etc as a canvas and paint on it, then rub till I see the best picture... Hope that makes sense...and helps... Below the oils etc...ebay sell them.

Oh btw Cellarboy...the seats even tho l liked Dagostinis seats in the main hold (chess area) l sanded them then added the black oil & rubbed in till required effect.

Other equipment... tamiya weathering kits l add here and there...when the oils totally dry.

Plastic containers for mixing colours from time to time, but as I say it's mainly the black l use for the hull....cabin...straight from tube..

Hope that's enough info but ask away ... :-)
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 13, 2015 at 11:49 AM. Reason: More info..
    From
    Ireland
    Jun 13, 2015, 11:45 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #33

Brilliant, thanks dark view appreciate the background, there are so many ways to tackle the weathering of this subject , always good to hear from someone who has done a brilliant job of it , keep it up
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 13, 2015, 11:52 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #34

Cheers it was new uncertain ground using this method at first!! but soon felt at home with it.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 14, 2015, 4:44 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #35

I keep bags of bits that come in useful for scratch building and/or modifications like the main hold. 1 shops are a gold mine of crap for parts too. Not sure if the USA have $1 shops!!?
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 15, 2015, 5:25 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #36

Over the weekend l started building a SPACE PORT FUEL PUMP for the Falcon.Kind of imagine it being part of the dock at Mos Eisley!. Keeps my evenings busy between waiting for monthly issue deliveries.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 15, 2015, 10:25 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #37

Think my TIE is to scale (or near enough) Revell 1/110 Star Wars Tie Fighter Easy Kit so got 3 of them for when its finished... going in the corner of my room on the FALCON BRACKET....
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 16, 2015 at 9:12 AM.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 17, 2015, 12:18 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #38

Added detail. The white pipe (near central) on the wall is a paperclip bent & cut...
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 17, 2015 at 12:53 PM.
  14. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Jun 17, 2015, 5:37 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #39

Really incredible work!!!
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 18, 2015, 1:16 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #40

Thanks man, looking forward to the next stage when my delivery arrives but untill then lm tweaking parts and developing my SPACE PORT FUEL PUMP for the Falcon.
  16. Member Since
    Jan 2014
    Jun 18, 2015, 9:17 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #41

Really creative darkview. When do we get a peek at your space port fuel pump? You've got my curiosity going in that one.
    From
    Ireland
    Jun 18, 2015, 10:51 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #42

And is it made from a soap dish ?
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 18, 2015, 10:55 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #43

Cheers CR prob over weekend, just priming it at moment... Not quite Vacformedhero....;-) here's the rough l sketched last weekend...

Btw Below...does anyone know if the model will come with this room? I know some modellers are making it but don't want to waste time on it if Dagostini are creating it? ...
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 19, 2015 at 5:59 AM. Reason: More info..
  19. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Jun 18, 2015, 12:33 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #44

I mainly used quick drying oils like so...the lamp black is my mainly used colour, l simply applied it to all crevices then with a lens cloth wipe it off & buff like crazy, it's amazing, quick & comes up with great results...straight from the models base colour as it is. If a area is wrong you can simply wipe off with a soft cloth with a tad white spirit...l even add white spirit to the oil occasionally to weaken the inner weathering and create a wash...same goes for the cabin... I'm usually an old school spray/dry brush modeller but a fellow brilliant modeller was using this technique so l gave it a go and loved it... As a artists l think of the model hull etc as a canvas and paint on it, then rub till I see the best picture... Hope that makes sense...and helps... Below the oils etc...ebay sell them.

Oh btw Cellarboy...the seats even tho l liked Dagostinis seats in the main hold (chess area) l sanded them then added the black oil & rubbed in till required effect.
    http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...pszxsbfmpw.jpg

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psou6kfjdh.jpg

Other equipment... tamiya weathering kits l add here and there...when the oils totally dry.
    http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...psoysnz7gx.jpg

Plastic containers for mixing colours from time to time, but as I say it's mainly the black l use for the hull....cabin...straight from tube..
    http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/r...pszetzqfe8.jpg

Hope that's enough info but ask away ... :-)

I was reading through your technique explanation because I want to try and get your results.

This may sound odd but when you say buff exactly what do you use and how do you "Buff?" The only buffing I have done on models was on gun metal grey and I don't even remember what I did, and steel wool for metal stuff.

Thanks so much.

You work is really inspiring. It motivated me to get started on mine finally. The painting and detailing was a bit intimidating.
  20. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Jun 18, 2015, 12:58 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #45

Also if you don't mind, what is White Spirit?? Never mind. Found it. Cleaner/Thinner.

Also will the oil paints be okay once all is said and done and I cover the entire model with a spray clear coat for protection?? I assume everyone is doing that once they have the entire paint job finished???

The actual Winsor and Newton site seems to have the best price.
    Last edited by Tom1971; Jun 18, 2015 at 1:13 PM.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 18, 2015, 1:24 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #46

Cheers Jameth1971, When l say buff l mean rub in with a soft cloth like those we get with lens etc.. I just rub in till l see the required effect, like the underside hull for instance.

You could do tests first with a model part from something else to see how you go... Paper towels/cotton buds can be useful in
    areas from time to time too.

White spirit is paint thinner/brush cleaner/turps over here. I only apply if the areas that have to much weather black from my applied oils from the brush, the brush helps you get into the small details before rubbing off etc..and it may take a few layers to build up the end results.

I've found that with these quick dry oils + the technique of rubbing it in so well that I've not needed any protection coating as yet :-).

I got my oils from ebay after not finding them locally in stores.

Hope that helps, l'll try helping as much as possible and explaining as it goes... Let me know how in goes for you if you try it.
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 19, 2015 at 2:13 AM. Reason: Details
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 19, 2015, 6:35 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #47

Well lm hoping that my monthly order arrives sometime today (it's usually a week late). But as l mention in the meantime I've been creating a STAR WARS universe kind of SPACE PORT FUEL PUMP for my FALCON. My vision is to make it look and kind of blend in to the mos eisley dock we know in STAR WARS... Hope this is ok to add with my thread.
    Here's my reference for weathering etc...

These are most of the primed parts from kit parts & stuff l eyed up from shops etc... The main central part was what started the project...my old inkjet holder thingy ;-)

Kind of develops as the parts grow and want various fuel pipes... I've upturned some of the pipes since this reference shoot to feel more like our gas station machines, will show them over weekend..
    Last edited by DARKVIEW; Jun 19, 2015 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Info
  23. Tom1971 is offline Tom1971
    Jun 19, 2015, 6:57 PM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #48

Cheers Jameth1971, When l say buff l mean rub in with a soft cloth like those we get with lens etc.. I just rub in till l see the required effect, like the underside hull for instance.

You could do tests first with a model part from something else to see how you go... Paper towels/cotton buds can be useful in
    areas from time to time too.

White spirit is paint thinner/brush cleaner/turps over here. I only apply if the areas that have to much weather black from my applied oils from the brush, the brush helps you get into the small details before rubbing off etc..and it may take a few layers to build up the end results.

I've found that with these quick dry oils + the technique of rubbing it in so well that I've not needed any protection coating as yet :-).

I got my oils from ebay after not finding them locally in stores.

Hope that helps, l'll try helping as much as possible and explaining as it goes... Let me know how in goes for you if you try it.
    Excellent. Thanks so much. Gonna order the oil paints ASAP.

Thanks again.

Tom
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 21, 2015, 7:15 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #49

Hopefully Monday my next 4 parts of the FALCON arrive... Here's the primed FUEL PUMP for my build...

Selection of pipes to rust & oil etc...

Just need to paint & weather it.
    From
    PLANET EARTH UK
    Jun 23, 2015, 10:38 AM - Re: FALCON 32" hunk of junk build #50

Added main hold bits... New grid floor hopefully next...