These are the 2 underside engine recesses... Apologies from the evening mobile photo quality . . .
Top from issue 42
Bottom from issue 19
692655487d4509d9847f758f35fa7000_zpsaxohllkx.jpg

Last edited:
Hey D... looking good... but one question... I've been noticing this alot lately with those that are painting the pits... Why is everyone making them so dark? I mean, the only reason why they are dark in the movie is because of the shadow and lighting (althou there is alot of darker paint in there) but that's about it. If anything, they should be painted alot lighter... but it seems as if everyone is painting them really dark! Take a look at this pic... notice how the recessed pits don't look painted at all, it's just a matter of shadow that makes them look darker then they actually are. Alot of the detail that is closer to the surface is just about the same color as the hull itself. Which makes me wonder if the rest of the pit is that same way. There might be a little shadow painting and perhaps a darker wash, but all in all they really aren't black or so dark as everyone is painting them!

e2435810a8717b1874779b98e23d9c34.jpg

I think it's all coming down to personal opinion. The instructions are calling for the pits to be that dark.

I should point out that the image you've posted is of the 5ft model, not the 32.

It's a lot to do with what refs we get From the good old days of camera & 70s lighting!!! Mine for instant looks quite dark (oil grunge etc) but I may lighten when it comes the time of joining the parts... But l do feel once that undersides all together it will look as close as possible to the given refs so far... The top ones are a tad lighter, but my canvas of the falcon is not complete till loads later... I'm going to make a space white like dust to the finished parts for most of it when complete... It's all in the eye of the beholder, mines totally up to if we get absolute definitive refs thro the build...

Last edited:
I realize that isn't the 32" but the painting is basically the same on both. Everyone seems to painting the recessed pits almost black, but they aren't. I also realize that the instructions call for painting it dark and then layering lighter colors on top, but we all know the instructions haven't been perfect as of yet. Trust your eyes and look at the reference pics of the Falcon itself. See for yourself what it looks like and use that as your painting guide, not what they tell you in the issues. Take a look at this one...

Tw2UnwIlLHazNgoffza9qKJh7T9Eni8t4lKT3oR3idI

In the eye of the beholder , is something I think everyone should go for , trying to get their personal kits the way they percieve it to be in later years and more oil , more grease....as leading up years after the ROTJ....anything is possible and I believe , not everyone has to follow the exact prop for their own kits....Its all about fun and what one likes to see in his or her build...nothing is going to be accurate to the studio scale from many modelers , its what makes them happy :D

I completely understand that... but I thought that as nice as DV's painting has been so far and how very close to the prop he's gotten, it would be a shame to switch gears and ruin such a remarkable job he's done so far! It's my OCD about it and my own build that makes me wonder why people are making them so dark when they aren't! There are so many reference pics of the original prop that it's hard for me to understand why everyone has missed that! :)

I can't agree that he is "ruining" his stunning build because its his interpretation of a detailed Falcon that doesn't exist (if you consider the interior details) anywhere.

Certainly if anyone is going to bring callipers to this party, then I have to agree that they are not dark (I shot these pix of - admittedly the 5ft - Falcon in the archives a few months back) but if its accurate that anyone is going for then the interior and other extra details would need to be removed from the DeAgostini Millenium Falcon in order to make a screen accurate 32inch Falcon.

DSC01476.jpg

DSC01477.jpg

Impeccable build DARKVIEW. Cheers for sharing.

Regards
MARK

Okay this hurts but for the sake of the discussion I will open this wound.

I had to sell my MR Falcon. The member I sold it too sold me a built Fine Molds Falcon some time later.

For some bizarre reason he thought I would want to see my Little Fine Molds Falcon on top of my, now his MR Falcon that I desperately missed and wish I did not have to sell. He is a great guy and I know he did not mean anything by it but geez.:facepalm

Anywho here is the pic.

The reason I am showing it is this thing is nowhere near as dark as it looks here. Under better lights it's looks much more accurate and less dark. Once I installed ceiling fans and with it new lights I, quite by accident, I used the best lights possible because my MR Falcon went form great paint job to absolutely stunning, perfect, incredible. It literally looks like three different paint jobs including this pic and two different light set ups.

IMG_2894%202.jpg

Last edited:
I apologize if I created a sore topic in your build DV... I was just trying to understand why a blatant detail that is so apparent in the actual photos is totally overlooked by so many people! I mean, I love the work you're doing on this bro... your paint job is impeccable and I love seeing your progress. It just behooves me why so many are painting these recesses black when they aren't. I can understand a darker hull shade with a dry brushing over the top of the details to bring them (maybe a splash of yellow or rust here and there) but when you've seen the real thing and all the photos like I have, and see everyone painting these things black and leaving them that way just offends my OCD to no end! If you like it, that's great... its your paint job. Again I apologize for bringing it up. Maybe it's just me.

BTW Tom... your pic didn't come thru! :)

Great feedback & interesting.... as l said these may have a added 'space dust' effect once rescess is added to the hull, that l may do with white matt Humbrol on a brush using good old fashion dry brush technique, that will lighten loads the recesses, but that's when again we get the bible pictures promised In the mag for reference!!!.. I treat the job like a painting or photoshop...build it up on layers. I've seen some amazing recesses done & their crying out so be improved from the studios brilliant rush work job!! I'd love to do lots of silver worn pipes with rusts abound!!! but stopped myself!!! ;-).
d0f9c755d3515363584367d3cd63422c_zpsdtje3zob.jpg

You'll see what l mean when it comes together, I wanted the recess walls dark as they are tucked deep in.

Last edited:
Thanks, it's more realistic considering the heavy wear n' tear you see on the topside thereabouts...but l know what LS8 means about the studio model looking a tad lighter (certainly on top) & when l see some quality close ups l'll gauge it from there... :) also we as builders are not for the most going to have 'studio lighting' like the old reference pictures about so inner details l may myself give to that effect!! Plus flash shots create a different ball game in reference, We'll see....

Last edited:
I truly didn't mean to start and rivet counting discussion... I'm just surprised that no one else has said anything about this til now. I sit and look at the magazine and their painting instructions in Issue 19 makes alot of sense but yet, it still comes out too dark and everyone assumes that's the way its suppose to be without actually looking at reference pics of the falcon itself to see just how far off those instructions are. They are right in the fact that you should create a shadow like layer... start with the darker tones and then build up the lighter tones to create more contrast... but their example truly is under par for trying to get the point across. In the end, the darker colors are suppose to create an illusion of shadows. The entire pit is in and of itself the same color as the hull itself. You're just creating the illusion of shadow and light play with the colors you use. The details closer to the surface should be about the same color as the hull panels. The ones deeper inside should be a bit darker but not black. That's all I'm saying and was trying to get across. I've seen so many build logs of this thing from so many different people building and the one thing that keeps poking out at me is why they are painting them so dark when clearly they aren't. I understand that not everyone has the same painting skills and there are alot of beginners doing this kit. but chalking it up to "everyone should paint it the way they want to and are happy with" feels like a cop out. Alot of us here are pros and have been at this for a long long time. I'm not slighting DV's work at all... frankly I think your work is beautiful DV! You're doing an awesome job from what I've seen so far. But if we notice something and offer a little friendly advice, we not only help those that are working on the kit, but also inspire those that are watching the builds themselves and give them ideas on bettering their craft. I know my biggest flaw is my OCD, but it's also a gift too. I see details in things that many don't. I've tried curbing it, but when it gets to a certain point, I can't help but speak up and point it out. We are all here for each other, to better ourselves and our work. To inspire each other to do better and give advice to those that may have missed something. Not in the spirit of being mean, or just to hear yourself talk, but to guide each other. Keep up the good work DV... I truly love what you've done so far.

Cheers LS8, you'll see what I've said earlier in the thread to my finished underside later this month l hope. lm not at all offenened as one of my specialities is to see the end vision before I've completed it... Also lm trying to help newbies to model work in a easier way to its weather. I think most model makers have a OCD element, not a flaw but a gift as you say...but it can be your undoing if perfection is the only happiness, this HUNK OF JUNK is never going to see a 100% absolute version, no ones will that l know from countless studies and viewing and differs.. It's about giving it your best shot and enjoying the build. When l see great pictures of the recess I'll follow suit even tho they were rushed back in those days of studio modelling. We have the luxury of time for imperfections that I can see. l for my part find it hard to recreate the modellers rushes (oversprays etc) of the original tho that being studio accurate.

Last edited:
Oh I totally know what you mean bro... I'm not looking for totally studio accurate... but I am going for the studio spirit. Kinda like that cross between the rushed look that the studio had to do to finish the project quickly, and the vision of what they really wanted it to look like if they had more time to work on it if that makes any sense. If the studios had all the time in the world to make it look the way they really wanted it to look kinda feel.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back