Immortan Joe costume from Mad Max, Fury Road

A cooling vest is probably mandatory under those conditions. Is the undersuit washable? You're going to be condensing through the vest pretty much the entire time and I would expect the suit to get damp in a hurry.

I'm going to hijack this thread briefly to mention that my Immortan Joe outfit got picked up in a cosplay contest I was notified about for Halloween.com and they just opened public voting on it. They use a very scientific method of "COMMENT ON THIS POST" as a voting mechanism. I'd roll my eyes, but, you know, prize is $1,000.00, so what I'm saying is... now we know what my dignity costs. Please go vote for your favorite Immortan Joe on this page. Go ahead, pick any Immortan Joe.

Ein, flex design said you can lightly spot wash, but recommend hitting it with febreeze. :/
I'm hoping the gel cooling pads aren't going to prespire as much as some of the vests I've seen on Amazon that take water packs. Hoping to figure out something, or this will be a winter only costume.

Also best of luck on the contest, you got my vote.

A bit of an update, and a minor disaster to my costume....

IMG_20170501_214203_243.jpg
I finished up the boots, vintage motorcycle with added chain and Ein's toecap print. I glued everything down with E6000. I'm not 100% happy with how the bike chain turned out, mine ends significantly shorter than the film boots. Unfortunately if I had gone any longer with the chain it would not curve up with the sole of the boot. Any other Joe's have a solution to this problem? I'm debating casting the chain in something more plyable and gluing it on. That may hold better in the long run.

As for the little disaster... My chest piece near the top where it's thinner from trying it on and drilling the small holes for the badges, had a little unsightly crease near the top middle.
Stupidly I thought a little pressure and warmth from my heat gun on low would fix this in retrospect minor eyesore. I did not realise near the minor defect was a very small crack. As soon as the heat hit it the crack became a small but noticeble pencil sized hole. An hour later of frantically trying to fix my mistake and I only made things worse...
20170427_151450.jpg
Ugh... I already contacted Logan about ordering a replacement. Still a bit of a bummer.

Oh man. If it's any consolation, the neckline of Joe's armor typically has some loose wrapping that would probably hang down well enough to cover that kind of creasing. It's definitely not ideal, but another thought is that that area might be repairable with some non-transparent material like bondo or other filler. Consider that the area it's on happens to be one of the crease lines, which you've already painted as opaque - a bit of sanding, filling, and a coat of yellow over that might make the problem disappear. Just a thought, hard to tell from the picture.

Ein,
That may have worked if I patched it at the first sign of a hole, but the more I played around and tried to shape things back to normal, I only made things worse beyond repair. :/

In good news I got all the forearm vacuum forms you sent me cut out and detailed. They look so cool, and though a little snug they fit over the Popeye forearms of the bodysuit.

Here's my best attempt at recreating the elusive left side badges.
20170503_020658.jpg

I didn't even consider whether or not that would fit over the forearms of a body suit. Assuming it'd be fine if you cut the parts riiiiight where they meet the base of the plastic sheet and then rivet them as wide as possible so that you had room. Remember, he's got arm wraps over his arms under that stuff, too, so you're going to be stuffing a lot into those with the body suit.

A not very good shot of armor+wraps+bodysuit+my own shrimpy arms...
20170503_015647.jpg

I ended up spray mounting the wraps similarly straight onto the body suit. I'll get a better shot once I get the biceps shaped, finished, and attached.

Small update, I've been getting the soft parts sewn, trousers and skirt. I will post some images once they are complete.

I thought I'd do a little test makeup and wig fitting. I tried to give some added age to my face, but I think it's lost in the images. I'll probably punch up that detail a bit more next time.
View attachment pixlr_20170525205246408.jpg

Last edited:
That's definitely the most accurate set of breeches I've seen so far. What did you do to weather them?

I love you wig, too. Is it a lace front you've trimmed back or something else?
Thank you!

For weathering I used a combination of diluted acrylic paint and several shades of tamiya brand weathering kits - they also work great for the leather parts.

The wig is a lace front cut back, but here's a little secret on how to get the extreme widows peak. ARDA wigs sell laced squares of hair (they showcase it for long exaggerated beards, etc) I cut this into a triangle, glued it to my forehead, and combed the hair into the wig.

Along with a bunch of 3d printed goodies and some commissioned shin guards from Ein, I also received my replacement armor from Logan74k... I am pretty happy with the results and think it turned out better than my first attempt.20170712_234005.jpg

I dreaded tackling the bellows, but I'm actually pretty happy how they turned out. Originally I was planning to sculpt and cast them in latex, however the size of the mold and trying to work out how to mold the understructure, proved fruitless.
I still need to add some L brackets for the mask hoses to attach.

IMG_20170715_052418_035.jpg

Last edited:
I dreaded tackling the bellows, but I'm actually pretty happy how they turned out. Originally I was planning to sculpt and cast them in latex, however the size of the mold and trying to work out how to mold the understructure, proved fruitless.
I still need to add some L brackets for the mask hoses to attach.

View attachment 744157

Very nice! I feel like the bellows is the one place that everyone either stumbles, gives up, or knocks it out of the park. I can count on two fingers how many I've seen knock it out of the park, and this is definitely one of them.

I was considering doing my own with Worbla and then painting and weathering it to look like the leather. I figure I can build it over a buck in two pieces, then remove the buck and seal the two pieces together. It would have the advantage of being relatively light compared to a lot of solutions I've seen, and also hold it's own shape, bypassing the need for a heavy support structure. I could even fold over rectangular straps of it to make the metal shoulder straps and the spinal connection. BUT... it could also look totally wrong, and Worbla ain't cheap, so I've been procrastinating.

Do you have any other in-progress pictures of your bellows? I'd love to see more of how you did it...

Very nice! I feel like the bellows is the one place that everyone either stumbles, gives up, or knocks it out of the park. I can count on two fingers how many I've seen knock it out of the park, and this is definitely one of them.

I was considering doing my own with Worbla and then painting and weathering it to look like the leather. I figure I can build it over a buck in two pieces, then remove the buck and seal the two pieces together. It would have the advantage of being relatively light compared to a lot of solutions I've seen, and also hold it's own shape, bypassing the need for a heavy support structure. I could even fold over rectangular straps of it to make the metal shoulder straps and the spinal connection. BUT... it could also look totally wrong, and Worbla ain't cheap, so I've been procrastinating.

Do you have any other in-progress pictures of your bellows? I'd love to see more of how you did it...

Sorry I don't have many in progress pics, it was one of those furious builds that I just dived in to see how it would turn out. But here's a brief idea of what I did. I made a Y frame for the back that was very similar to what Ein built in his awesome Joe build thread. The "humps" are essentially stacked kidney shaped pillows. A hose runs through the top "hump" to give it a little extra shape and attach to the air filter connectors. I also added some wire ( from a bent coat hanger) through the middle hump for the thing to keep it's shape.

I like the worbla idea, and funny enough it was something I was toying around with. I think it has the perfect texture and could look really great. My only concern with something that rigid, it might be difficult if you want to do a photo shoot in a car or get bumped around on a crowded convention floor. Regardless, I'm curious to see what you come up with...

Also here's a small update. I commissioned Ein to do some of the major 3D printing work for this project. I just finished adding all of the trinkets and ornimentation to his " war club" Not in anyway %100 accurate, but I tried to get as close as possible.
View attachment pixlr_20170719214258881.jpg

I love how different your club turned out, to be honest. The same general thematic ideas are there, but with totally different parts. If you told me the parts you selected were screen accurate, I'd believe you. Awesome work.

Thanks Ein, that means a lot coming from someone as detail oriented as you. I found in my searches, the best pins to use were from scout troops and soviet era caps. They can also be found for cheap.

I finished the armor, I still have some work ahead of me.
IMG_20170723_144600_347.jpg

Last edited:
Dear all, you all did an amazing job !! Very impressed !! :thumbsup
I am looking for a Immortan Joe Sheriff replica path,
I contacted weeks ago logan74k who did a run of this patch but still did not get news from him.
Any help is welcome
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
A big Joe update. I commissioned the insanely talented Bryn Tarr to complete the kidney and lower holster belt. Ein's pattern was a major help in figuring things out.

I'm so pleased with how it turned out. Here's the final belt image sent today. The codpiece is just a print out to scale (mine will attach with some lg Chicago screws) and the one pistol is a stand in to get the proper hang ( I have the correct ivory handled one with me).
icm_fullxfull.134053231_20km2mxdtplw4c484gc4 (1).jpg

Besides a few little odds and ends with the cooling vest - I'm calling the costume done! Can't wait to try the whole thing on.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back