Fallout 4

Actually, wasn't the first Fallout a "set in stone" story? Evil or good, you still have to defeat the Super Mutant Army, and kill the Master. Still comes to the same ending, just depends on how bad you were as to if you kill the overseerer.

Actually no you could join the Master, that ended with the vault being destroyed and you turned into a Super Mutant. It wasn't much of an ending but it was there. Actually don't you shoot the Overseer no matter what? I mean he had it coming lol

I've taken the Elder Scrolls games as being more about the journey rather than the destination. Like you said, it's all the same ending, you can just get there via a different route if you like. And a few choices here and there (like the civil war in Skyrim). I haven't played the Fallout games yet, but I hope to get some time into F3 before F4 comes along. I don't imagine the overall storytelling style to be tremendously different between the two franchises, even though elements of the gameplay are drastically different.

From Morrowind to Skyrim to both of the last two Fallouts, it's all been more about the journey than the destination. There hasn't really been a fist pumping **** yeah kind of end for any of them. Maybe they'll change that, but I don't expect it. I just expect there to be a lot of messed up stories, over the top violence, and goofiness before I finish.

I've got 170 hrs in Oblivion, 300+ hrs into Skyrim and a few dozen into Fallout 3. Never completed a single one. The set story doesn't matter if you don't follow it and do your own thing hehe

Actually no you could join the Master, that ended with the vault being destroyed and you turned into a Super Mutant. It wasn't much of an ending but it was there. Actually don't you shoot the Overseer no matter what? I mean he had it coming lol

No, you had to be bad to shoot him, I did a play through that I thought was pretty evil, but still didn't get to shoot him. :cry

Yeah, you could join the master, but it lacked the full real ending with Ron Pearlman telling us how everything went. There are actually two sort of "endings" in Fallout 3 like that, you can activate the G.E.C.K. when you find it, which kills you instantly. You can also tell Autumn the purifier code when they interrogate you, at which point he'll kill you. There's no "ending" except dying, but I guess maybe that counts?

Alternate ending: DEATH! :lol

I never knew you had to be bad, i don't remember being a ******* lol. That was still my favorite ending of a game I think. Well in Fallout 3 they always planned on you dying but the fans were so annoyed that's when they came up with Broken Steel and suddenly you survive. Man i need to get my ps3 up and running for a fallout marathon. I'm proud to say that NV on the 360 is one game i got 100 percent of achievements on. It's a shame that the series is so huge now they can't get away with the homages they used to like the Star Trek stuff, then again i hate having to take a perk for weird things to happen when it was normal for them to randomly happen in the old games. I am amused that Bethesda kept some of Fallout Tactics as canon when it comes to the airship crashed near Chicago.

Watching Fallout 4's 'signature weapon', the LASER Musket, in action where you have to wind it up, the only thing I could think of was "Futurama". The episode where Fry got drafted, and in battle you see all of the Soldiers winding up their blaster rifles before they could fire them. :lol

David.

The ending where the Vault Dweller kills the Overseer is guaranteed if you have the "Bloody Mess" trait.

That explains it. That trait is a must even in the new games lol. I agree on the musket, I saw him winding that and could imagine it playing pop goes the weasel like in the show lol

I never knew you had to be bad, i don't remember being a ******* lol. That was still my favorite ending of a game I think. Well in Fallout 3 they always planned on you dying but the fans were so annoyed that's when they came up with Broken Steel and suddenly you survive.

I thought it was worse than that. It wasn't that your character died, but that the situation was so inherently stupid, contrived, plot hole ridden and downright miserable. You have a big mutant who's biggest trait is that HE'S IMMUNE TO RADIATION, and when you ask him to go in and turn it off, he says something to an extent that it's not his destiny and your character flat out accepts it. Your neutral robot companion won't do it because it is "Your legacy" that you have to uphold, and Charon? Ugh, I have a piece of paper with some writing on it!

But when you have Broken Steel DLC, all of a sudden your radiation resistant companions are like "Yeah... you're right. All I'm doing is walking into a room and pressing a few buttons." Unfortunately Bethesda couldn't bring Ron Perlman back to redo his ending narration so even if you choose one of your radiation resistant companions to do the job (literally a win/win/everyonewins situation), you get this.

It was not until the end of this long road that the Lone Wanderer was faced with that greatest of virtues – sacrifice, but the child refused to follow the father's selfless example, instead, allowing a true hero to venture into irradiated control chamber of project purity and sacrifice his/her own life for the greater good of mankind.

This is the kind of stuff I'm worried about when it comes to Fallout 4. The game has a clear cut story that leaves almost no room for flexibility.

I'm really torn if i want to keep the pipboy in the case like all my special editions or if i want to take it out to display. I still need to get the Fallout 3 one but honestly it'd be cheaper to get a kit off here

After acquiring the Tomenosuke Blaster and successfully pre-ordered the Pip-Boy edition for the PC, I am one customized blue jump suit away from a perfect cosplayer.

I'm fighting the temptation to buy another pipboy edition and give the game away just so i have one still in the box and one to display. Then I remembered i had the halo 5 special edition on order and that killed that idea.

I'm betting it'll be up for GOTY next year with the DLC included. I just realized i need so many PSN points for dlc it's not funny.

Bethesda clearly wanted to move past the "silent protagonist with unclear motivations" phase and develop a real story with this game. Some people like to make up all sorts of little facts about their character in their heads while playing but I think the benefits granted by a more concise narration outweigh the "freedom" granted by a non-descript plot.

Fallout 3's ending shouldn't be used as an example of a restrictive narrative but rather as an example of bad writing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back