Fallout 4

Wes R said:
I rather play old turnbased RPGs over most of what's out these days classified as RPGs. I just found out that the new turn based x-com game was announced on the 2nd and got lost in the Fallout 4 news online.

I like both types, but personally I think Fallout is much more immersive as a FPS game.

Not to sound like a broken record, but Fallout: New Vegas was created by Obsidian, a completely different studio. It feels different because it is.

Fallout 4 will be the first game in the franchise that Bethesda has worked on since 2008. It will probably be more like 3 than NV.

I'm kind of hoping that there is a plan to have Bethesda do the East Coast versions and Obsidian do the West Coast. I liked how F3 and NV felt different because you were in two totally different locations. Not to mention that NV should feel more like F1 and F2 because the factions and things are different out west.

Given how heavy handed Bethesda is I doubt they'll let anyone touch the property again, especially after the Elder Scrolls online mess. They killed off so much merchandising that would have made them money it's insane, there was a d20 based rpg game ready to go and they canned it not long before it was ready to print.

I would have loved to, but that's 4 am here, and I'm already lacking too much sleep to pull off another all-nighter. But I'll get to wake to tons of news, hopefully very good.

Wow, that looked amazing. Official PipBoy app for Android and Smartphone should make a lot of people here very happy with their replicas.

The new PipBoy looks GREAT. Love the holotape loader.

Even if there's no character creator, which i wasn't fond of in 3 or NV,

This better?

fallout4cc_zpsekpbgycy.png

It looks better.

I've loved Fallout practically from the beginning (and prefer the first two) but I was kinda "meh" about FO4 until they started talking about item creation/customization and the the ability to build your own settlement. That is really neat.

Quick First Impressions on "Fallout Shelter"

Oh, dear. Can I get a "Not another Pay Gate/Resource Clicker" clone here? Actually from what I've gathered... there are no pay gates.

You start out with a vault in the ground that you can give a number that's three digits long. You follow some routine tutorials that tell you what to do, how to manage your vault and how the vault dwellers work inside the vault. The first thing that came into my mind was "Ok, where is the button to spend crystals/donuts to quicklyy finish an operation? Thankfully there wasn't one. While everything is timed, it's not a pay wall timer. You can actually choose the option to 'rush' the operation with the chance of the room catching fire.

Cool, right? Now you're on your resource management and it's awful. You have four resources to manage.

• Electricity
  • Food
  • Water
  • Population

And the rooms used to lay out the vault seem like they can get the job at maintaining the resources well. You got a generator room, water treatment room, cafe and room quarters. You think that if you build enough to meet demand, things should be good to go, right?

Not really. You see, the electricity, food and water resources need to be COLLECTED MANUALLY. This wouldn't be a problem except every time you leave the game, your resources will actually go down on it's own. You're required to gather the resources once they're ready to be collected. To give you an example, I had electricity and food all the way to the max and water just barely over the comfortable line and decided to close the game out for the night. When I checked it out the next morning, EVERYTHING bottomed out and the vault happiness meter went from 64% to 12%. What resources I could gather didn't come close to the comfortable level and I had to wait every three minutes to collect from the rooms again until the meter got up. And once they were finally up at the level I was comfortable with, I realized that leaving the game would only put me in that situation again because the resources would go down on it's own.

On the other hand, the game is unquestionably beautiful and well crafted. The vault inhabitants are cute, the environment is spot on and there's a lot of perspective that really makes the vault feel practical. It's just a shame it's one of those "constant attention" type games where you cannot simply watch the day to day functions of your vault like you could your Sims Tower from the original Sims Tower.

The only thing in the Pip-Boy edition I would be interested in is the actual Pip-Boy and I don't know if that is worth an extra $50-60. And quite frankly I expect better versions to show up here.

KILL MONTAGE!

• Texture wise, this looks pretty soft and clean. Hopefully there will be settings/mods to make it more detailed.
  • VATS returns but with a twist. It slows down time instead of outright stopping it. I'm actually open to this change.
  • The amount of weapon customization in this game is INSANE! Like there won't be a standard version any one weapon. Everything will have varieties and customizations.
  • Power Armor looks like it's going to act as a vehicle rather than just a suit of armor like from the previous games. Your entire HUD changes, more readouts and a freaking Jetpack!
  • Caged Tournaments!
  • Mutant Mosquitos!

The NEW Pipboy!

• Pipboy graphics are animated
  • A more emphasis on what goes on around the pip boy, including the player character's hands using the controls
  • Pip boy can run.... video games?
  • 64k RAM!
  • Holotypes can now be physically loaded onto the Pipboy through a tape slop located on the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
I upgraded to the pipboy edition for the ps4, as much as i like the mod ability the xbox offers it's not my thing. I'm glad that they didn't shoehorn multiplayer in the game under the guise of the resource management/city building part of things.

!:14 on that first video gives you a Stormtrooper rifle! :)

Who's selling the version with the Pipboy? I have only seen preorders for regular versions.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back