Blockade runner/Studio scale model / tantive iv

modelman

Jr Member
Well the tubes arrived today and I can start this build blog. I’ve wanted to do this model for years now. What’s been holding me up I here you say, Life, that’s the problem and money this is no cheap model. Well my kids are now old enough to help me in this endeavor I still don’t have the money but here goes anyhow.

I’ve built the model in the computer to start with and played around with it changing this and that for over a year now. I’m happy with the look of the ship, it did turn out a little longer than people are saying the real model was just over six and a half feet. Mine is 2200mm that’s seven foot three inches. But I’ve used a slightly bigger diameter tube than the original model. Any way judge for your self’s on this matter from the computer pictures.
I can’t afford to get all the correct parts for this model so I will go the way that Mr. Henning did and try to represent the parts that they used.

This model will have to be built on a budget so lots of scratch building on this job.
I will be updating this blog I hope on a regular time scale. I hope you all like it. This is the biggest model I’ve made so far.

tentive IV over veiw001.JPGtentive IV over veiw002.JPG
tentive IV over veiw003.JPGtentive IV over veiw004.JPGIMG_2053.jpgIMG_2052.jpgIMG_2054.jpg

tentive IV over veiw001.JPG

tentive IV over veiw002.JPG

tentive IV over veiw003.JPG

tentive IV over veiw004.JPG

IMG_2053.jpg

IMG_2052.jpg

IMG_2054.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Studio scale model / tentive iv

Such a cool project - looking forward to seeing what you do!

Very nice project! I wish you lots of fun and who knows? Maybe your build impresses some guys with some of the needed parts?

Hi All.
Some movment on the model this week. I managed to get all the tubes together and write the laser cut programs for the side tube as they were going to be the most trouble to cut buy hand. As you can see from the pictures the base board is done and the main tube is almost ready.

To keep it nice and square I’ve strengthened the main tube with flat stock plexi glass and I hope it will be enough. All the side tubes are back from the laser cutter and all look super, the program worked. It will be easy job to fit them to the main tube just a little end fitting to be done.

That’s all for now hope you like it and please leave a reply good or bad they all help.

The modelman
tentive IV june 004.jpgtentive IV june 017.jpgtentive IV june 007.jpgtentive IV june 006.jpgtentive IV june 014.jpgtentive IV june 013.jpgtentive IV june 008.jpgtentive IV june 009.jpgtentive IV june 005.jpg

Attachments

• tentive IV june 003.jpg
    tentive IV june 003.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 403

Well I’ve made a little progress this week. I got the main cross section in the middle of the ship finished. With the pre cut tubes the work load was down to a few hours with a file. I’ve started to cover the model with 0.5mm plastic card. As you see or don’t see in the photos I cut the plastic to size and drill small holes all over the surface. The plastic is then fixed in place it with pack bands and using MEK glue and a brush I let the glue run under the plastic using capillary action on the sides and through the holes this way I get a very large surface area glued before it evaporates. As to the photos, this model is big and I'm having a little problem with taking photos in my little work shop I will try to find an answer to the problem soon.
More in the next week log.
View attachment 494384tentive IV june 112.jpgtentive IV june 115.jpgtentive IV june 113.jpgtentive IV june 117.jpgtentive IV june 116.jpgtentive IV june 119.jpgtentive IV june 118.jpgtentive IV june 121.jpg

Last edited:

Good tip (the holes...), Modelman! Happy building, it looks to be off to a good start!

Regards/ Robert

Re:Blockade runner/ Studio scale model / tentive iv

Hello all.

Sorry it's been a long time since the last update I've had a few problems a hospital stay and a small operation and with two months off to get better. Anyway I'm back to work and back on the model.Not a lot to see at this point. I've covered most of the tubes now with plastic card. This will make the next level so much easer.

I will start at the front and do the hammer head as I think this will make or brake the model. Get this right and the rest will be (I hope) plane sailing. As I said before this will not be a studio copy but a studio interpretation. I mean where there are parts on the real model I will try my best to represented that part. My budget will not go so far to pay for all the parts, plastic or resin. To all you guys who will make the original model with Jason I wish you all luck and I'm looking forward to seeing your models.

Jason can you please help me in the next picture you put up with all the parts layout can you please add a rule with inches or centimetres on it this would give me a good idea of the scale of the parts.

Enjoy the pictures more to come soon.

Ian.

tentive IV sept 011.jpgtentive IV sept 004.jpgtentive IV sept 017.jpgtentive IV sept 013.jpgtentive IV sept 008.jpgtentive IV sept 002.jpgtentive IV sept 010.jpgtentive IV sept 003.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Blockade runner/ Studio scale model / tentive iv

Great updates! It's already looking like the ship we've come to love:cool

Re: Blockade runner/Studio scale model / tentive iv

Hello All.
Just alittle update this as I’m very busy with life this week. As you can see formthe pictures I’ve been doing some work on the head and the pictures are the 3Dwork. I’m happywith the size and shape now the blueprints are really bad in the part and I wouldn’t use them if I where you. If you see anything you think is wrong please let me knowbe for I start to cut plastic. Thanks for looking and please leave a few lines,good or bad.

hand 001.JPG hand 002.JPGhand 003.JPGhand 004.JPGhand 005.JPGhand 006.JPGhand 007.JPGhand 008.JPG

hand 001.JPG

hand 002.JPG

hand 003.JPG

hand 004.JPG

hand 005.JPG

hand 006.JPG

hand 007.JPG

hand 008.JPG

I can truly appreciate how hard it is to recreate this subject -- especially this "signature" part of the ship. The original model makers at ILM did a rush job "grafting" the new head onto the old body. The results where the head meets the neck were pretty messy. The geometry doesn't really work, and it's not easy to get a good match to the studio model in this area.

I can truly appreciate how hard it is to recreate this subject -- especially this "signature" part of the ship. The original model makers at ILM did a rush job "grafting" the new head onto the old body. The results where the head meets the neck were pretty messy. The geometry doesn't really work, and it's not easy to get a good match to the studio model in this area.
Yep, and they were cleverly able to change the "apparent" scale of the ship as well with minimal changes to the model (just like they did with the USS Enterprise after the first pilot). I only recently realized that the forward-most part of the neck of the Tantovy IV was actually the aft half of the original cockpit! This ship is an excellent and fascinating exercise in geometry - especially the intersection of mutliple curved shapes. Nice work! :)

Thanks for the few lines you sent. I would like to point out this is a WIP. The real model had this problem too. It will always turn up when two primitive objects meet like this.
They got around it by adding a second layer to the connection see photos.

120_SWI_1486.jpg_MG_5603.jpg_MG_0572.jpg_MG_5587.jpg

I hope the photos show what I mean. The second layer will cover up the joint at the sides and more kit parts on the top and bottom. Thanks anyway for looking.

Attachments

• 080_SWI_1425.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 469
Ok, just aquick update here. Going from virtually to reality there is a small differencenot that much but I can be a few millimeters off on the model. The plasticdidn’t bent just the same as the virtualsurface. I’m off a millimeter or two setting the model up. Some of the angleswhere a little off. So cut, fit, refit and then glue. It’s working out so themodel I made in the computer isn’t that bad.

Have funand make something.
IMG_8976small.jpgIMG_8977s.jpg
IMG_8978s.jpgIMG_8979s.jpgIMG_8980s.jpgIMG_8983s.jpgIMG_8984s.jpgIMG_8985s.jpg

IMG_8976small.jpg

IMG_8977s.jpg

IMG_8978s.jpg

IMG_8979s.jpg

IMG_8980s.jpg

IMG_8983s.jpg

IMG_8984s.jpg

IMG_8985s.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back