How to make your own spartan helmet

Gundrosen

Posted some of this in another thread, but figures it would be more useful on it's own.
cardboard.jpg

fiberglass.jpg

painting.jpg

And here is a template I made for the front of the helmet. It should be 1:1 scale so if anyone has a A3 printer they should be able to print it and just trace it :) It's just half the front, so just flip it to get the other side.

(keep in mind this is made after my head, and should be modified to you own face to get a perfect fit)

Helmet Template

Enjoy!

It was posted on Cosplay.com, right?
I've almost finished mine (I'm working on the crest, and then paint), but I did almost the same things (cardboard, body filler, etc...), your it's great, my only nitpicking is the shape of the eyes...
BTW good job!

It was posted on Cosplay.com, right?
I've almost finished mine (I'm working on the crest, and then paint), but I did almost the same things (cardboard, body filler, etc...), your it's great, my only nitpicking is the shape of the eyes...
BTW good job!

Yeah, I posted it over at the 300 thread at cosplay :)
I know the shape of the eyes are wrong. I started it based on another helmet with that design and didnt bother fixing it later. Oh well, seeing all the helmets are slightly different I guess one of the soldiers could have eyes like that :p

thats really badass man! i like that a lot. How thick should the straps and band parts be for the dome of the helmet? does it matter?

thanks
Griff

I'm amazed at how well these cardboard helmets turned out. I have one suggestion. Rather than bondo (which is easier to obtain) try sculpt or coat and a little dryer lint or fine sawdust. It will give the same appearance with less fumes, and it will be less likely the plastic shell to shatter into a million pieces if dropped. You can get sculpt or coat at most art supply stores or at www.sculpturalarts.com

I'm amazed at how well these cardboard helmets turned out. I have one suggestion. Rather than bondo (which is easier to obtain) try sculpt or coat and a little dryer lint or fine sawdust. It will give the same appearance with less fumes, and it will be less likely the plastic shell to shatter into a million pieces if dropped. You can get sculpt or coat at most art supply stores or at www.sculpturalarts.com

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that out if I decide to do another helemt :)

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back