"Head Turn-Enabled" Batfleck Cowl Research Thread

There are pics out there of the cowl and inside you can see something going on. The jawline appears to be somewhat separate from the rest of the cowl and some kind of material is in there.
Material like fabric? That was my guess, something like Lycra skinned with a thin rubber texture like the Cape was made to look like leather.

affleck-batman-mask_zps3gp330oz.jpg

Random thought here, but could his ability to turn his head be two fold? First, the cowl has been made in such a way that there is more flexibility in the neck. Secondly, it almost looks as if the cowl is somehow fastened/anchored to his torso. There seems to be almost zero movement on the lower portion of the cowl where it meets his torso when he has his head turned. Could the orange cgi markers be hiding some soft of fasteners?

The law line is definitely a thin area that allows the movement to happen which is why it's such a deep fold which does make it look like it could be separated there. Like I said, I thought the same initially but it's definitely one piece.

The Keaton movies were glued to the cape and bolted to the torso at the emblem as were the Kilmer and Clooney suits, the begins suit had the cape clips and a ring of adhesive around the edge of the cowl to attach it to the torso as well. This one would need to be the same for sure or the whole cowl would move when the head moved. It's more than likely glued to the actors face around the mouth opening too.

I understood that there was no gluing involved. I don't think glue has ever been used to glue the mask to the face on a Batman movie, except for Dead End, but I might be mistaken. The orange markers are just that, for the CGI cape. It does look to me like the entire edge of the cowl is secured with velcro to the suit.

Nope, no glue on Ben.... There may be some on the stunt actor, but the way they designed this thing to fit.. I'm sure it fits perfectly on his face as well.

I'm not sure how many past Batman cowls were glued down.. The Niteowl cowl in Watchmen was definitely glued down though.

Previous cowls were all glued to the capes or had velcro at least. From looking at screen used pieces, one of Val's Panther cowls had glue around the face too but that may have been for a specific scene and just on that one cowl, but they were connected to capes with velcro and sometimes glue for sure, just to keep things together. You can actually see the white glue around the edge of the cowl in Herb Ritts' 89 Batman/Joker photos, guess they didn't wait for it to dry haha

Does anybody have any ideas for transforming a stiff batman cowl so that you are given at least some left and right, up and down movement? (I'm tall and it's unfortunate when I can't look down at a kid who wants a picture or even look to see anything I'm holding in my hands.

I was playing with the idea of separating it into 2 separate pieces by stressfully cutting my expensive cowl. Cutting behind the ears and under the base of the skull and reconnecting them with a slight gap of 1/4" or so and reconnecting using something breathable like a black spandex or something like that. If any of you cowl masters have any ideas, I'm all ears!

Thoughts??

I wonder if the mask/cowl was cast in a material I've heard of known as "dragon skin"--a material that stretches up to 10 times its original molding. I guess it was used to fix the rubber corner areas of the T-Rex's mouth at the Universal ride because the other materials kept ripping.

Somebody else might confirm this, or not, but I think it was Foam Latex actually. Combined with a particular casting method that Jose developed. Not an easy thing to replicate, otherwise the Justice League team would have done it as well instead of going back to the stiff urethane !

It's actually a plastic structure in the head with a tightening mechanism to lock in place, like a head band. There was also a structure in the neck that locked onto the suit. The foam itself had collapsable points and air pockets ( those massive muscles on the neck). Jose really cracked the code with this one.

The man himself explains it here. Cats been out of the bag for a little while. https://youtu.be/1FkjEIKUgEw

I'd give the whole episode a listen. The man is a legend, and if you have any interest in this stuff at all.. He's who you want to hear from.

Don't be fooled either, it sounds super simple and straight forward. Everyone knows the theory. You look at it and think "of course!" However..It took a team full of masters to execute it. I don't think we'll be seeing anything like it from an Indy maker any time soon!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back