Road Fury Steering Wheel! Please help me ID parts.

Its all dependant on the size of the mask part in the end.
From the views in the pics, I can see roughly half (180 degrees worth) of the bearing, and I counted 7 rollers. So, I guesstimate somewhere around 14-15 rollers on the entire bearing.

I received my steering wheel from the company linked at the start of this thread. Unfortunately due to work I have only been at home for about 5 days in the last 3 months, so it's sitting at home waiting for me to find other junk to stick to it.

I am due to head home in about 10 days, and I will try to remember to ping some pictures up to this thread.

hey Hotrod, I was thinking the same thing on the horn ring, I go the 57 150 model ring, but I know its not the correct one. The thing on the Cadillac one you suggested is the depth. It seems way deeper than longacre steering wheel, which is at most 2.5" deep.
Another tell is that the rear of the spokes blend into the rear of the ring.
Also if you collect enough images you can tell that the ring actually has two bends in the spokes, the Caddy one you mentioned is one bend/edge down the middle.
That is why I ruled it out on my list.

The one that seems similar is the 60's mopar one mentioned above, but I believe that one has inset grooves.

On the longacre wheel you posted, it seems that looks could be deceiving as the length between the slots and the ring is actually longer than it seems when you cut the foam off.
The is a non coated 15" that looks similar, but its hard to tell if its the same on the coated, you can tell the NUX wheel was previously coated as you can see the slit where the foam get trimmed on the spoke in pictures.

If you do end up getting one please update, I feel bad I insisted that it was a 17" model, but also info all over this board is haphazard and double and triple checking of images should be done.

As far as the mount piece, I have a search for taillights, bezels,trim and parking lights. It will eventually turn up. I imagine is a part for one of the cars used in the movie.

I agree, it's definitely not that Caddy horn ring. It's very different if you study the pictures of the screen used prop. Worse yet I don't even think you could use the Caddy one as a "close enough" substitute because it's so deep. As far as the steering wheel goes, I do believe it's the covered 15" Longacre with the cover removed. The only thing I'm worried about is that it could possibly be the 14" version.

Batt, thanks for chiming in. I did do some research, there may be a place around me where i can see these wheels in person. I actually called long acre and they didnt understand some of the questions as they are all about racing and function. Not aesthetics. I have the same issue on the 14"vs 15" wheel.

One other thing i noticed is that the slots on the lightweight wheels look enlarged vs the standard wheels. Especially on the black ones. The nux wheel seems to have enlarge slots, but definately was foam covered at one point.
I also looked for copies of this wheel and cant find any.

UPDATE, I just check on the Longacre site and multiple others no coated 14" available. So I'll be ordering a 15" and report back I guess.

Last edited:
Here is my update-got the 15" , my horn ring is too big;( I figure at this scale the horn ring should be right at 10" now.
Still no luck on the mouth piece.
Batt, if you end up needing a horn ring for that 17" wheel, let me know.It would make for an easy build to sell one

. wheel_15_56801.JPG

I went out on a limb in a search for the Cadillac emblem. The gigahorse was a 59 coupe deville so I searched and I think the emblem jn the steering wheel is a 59 Coupe DeVille door panel emblem. A google search will show you an ebay image that looks like a good match.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/qaoAAOSwBLlVKdqT/$_1.JPG

Cool, I bought one already, there was one floating around ebay for 20 bucks for a while.

i paid about 40 for mine.
I have yet to ID the doll head. part, there are also a bunch of little vintage TV knobs and stuff that are near impossible to match.

I need to figure out the piece that makes up the strap the goes up the doll face. it looks like it is connected to the front of the horn button, under the bearing.
It kind of looks like a part of a vintage goggle or gas mask.

Im also stumped on the botton on the very tip of the gasmask, it is actually a vintage metal button that says "push" on it, but I have yet to figure it out.

I have the horn ring and horn button. I settled on a 15" longacre wheel.

I still feel the lightweight wheel slots are larger.

Just so you know Im actually working on a whole dash.
I have about 50 percent of the part already.

Also one last thing, if you want to properly display this to the gods of guzzoline, you need a 1955-1957 Chevy parking brake handle with a black ribbed bakelite handle.

I have a screen shot of the wheel on the steering wheel altar and matched it. That how it will hang when not in use.

Attachments

• wheel4.jpg
    wheel4.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
I've been looking at the interior knobs of the 59 coupe deville as close matches to the one on the side of the gas mask... Also looking at the sides of the canister gas mask thing. I think it it may be two interior door handles from the same 59 coupe deville. Cut them and weld together? Maybe?

I recently saw Adam Savage (myth busters) say that prop makers are not trying to reinvent the wheel. They are going to usually go to standard items.. Like wood will likely be 3/4 inch rather than a custom size. So thinking along those lines I said to myself that they obviously had 2 59 coupe devilles to work with. There is a caddy emblem in the picture, maybe they used other things from the same car?

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg A similar kind of feel/ look on the gas mask. just spitballing here really.

With that photo it looks almost like pieces of a grill off a 51 merc coupe. The knob on the side, are those numbers? Looks like a 9 and an 8, like a dial.

the knobs with the numbers are old tv or old electronics knobs- if you know of an old TC repair shop, take some prints and head over to compare.
I bought a (lot) on ebay to make something similar. I doubt anyone will figure those out unless they actuall are the prop makers.
The eye part is a windshield wiper escutcheon or bezel, I check all the brand for the cars in the film and no match.

The side parts where the knobs are are off a AU branded horn ring expect to pay 100.00+ bucks , I have a copy of it but have not posted images yet.
I really want to ID the doll head to keep moving on the project.

I may just find a doll head and mock it up next week, if you dare me.

Note that a lot stuff used as props in this movie is found items from some AU junkyard. Or spares from the cars in the movie.

Im trying to build my wheel with as many legit parts without 3D printing them 3D printing feels like a cheat on this particular project
I ordered the quick release hub as well.

Last edited:
here what I was going to show over email.
Im sorry I can't cast any of the parts I have, they are just rare and I dont have time either.

I have a bucket of those knobs, no exact ones, they would be very small for the horn button part.

There is my dash it a mix of early Chevy dash trims from the same era. I need to weld up the ash tray hole in the center. Still missing the radio delete, guage cluster, two small guages and the large tack, yes you know what will be next if this gets done. I also want to make that weird brass dash pipe/periscope he has on the drivers side.

Oh BTW, this dash will get reversed to Right hand drive.

The top horn ring bolts seems likethe could be guitar adjusters, I've never seen any with a bolt end. the knurled nuts can be found on ebay or hardware sites. I suspect the wire going to the little balls can be either 1/8th inch air tube line or speedo cable. those little balls look like grease fittings, I have not matched the exact yet.
I may just turn the bezels on the conduit tube on the the lathe.
I dont have extra conduit tube.
I have not matched the Co2 cartridges yet.
Not that there were at least 3 of these steering wheels made. There are 3-4 Nux Coupes.

Attachments

• IMG_7962.JPG
    IMG_7962.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_7963.JPG
    IMG_7963.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7965.JPG
    IMG_7965.JPG
    174.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7966.JPG
    IMG_7966.JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7969.JPG
    IMG_7969.JPG
    521.6 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
I have one hotrod I'm working on already. Funny thing is, I have been trying not to let the cat out of the bag for a while. But working on this project lets me take my mind off things and is still car related.

If I ever did build this car, it would be the prewasteland version where it nice but not over the top RAW. the superchanrger with twin turbos. apparently on some of them all fake. I like stuff actually working.

Last edited:
Instead of guitar pegs, adjustable lift arm pins may work.
Cant believe you're making a whole dash. Looks good.

The knobs are off of a sewing machine... 98.2% sure. I have not got the model yet.
Here is an example:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 106
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back