Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

Modified the exhaust to make it a more successful print, pretty close a 0.05mm layers, promises to be even better at 0.025mm, again my phone camera makes it look worse that it actually is.
Firefox 1-48 exhause V2 50um.jpg
I need to increase the spacing of the inner part, the gap is so small it's trapping the resin and causing ripples on the outside. Either it will work all the time or will just aim to get one good one and cast it.

After much messing about due to different software suddenly deciding to resize STL files randomly, too tired to work that out right now, I have a 0.025mm cockpit dash print running.

More adventures in 3D printing tomorrow...

This did kind of surprise me, the 1/48th cockpit dash came out well at 0.025mm layers

Firefox 1-48 cockpit dash.jpg

First attempt failed on the midsection so overdid the supports a tad, and pushed the exposure up a second a layer so it could be a bit crisper I think. The limiting factor is the X - Y 0.09mm pixel resolution, but there is no visible layer structure at all, it looks moulded. Again the camera makes it look worse that it is and with my eye I can resolve the quad of upper mid raised sections have 3 then 2 sets of rectangular buttons, the camera can't.

Bottom part is at 0.1mm, I hacked the print file manually as it saves nearly 3 hours print time, still took around 8! The thin band just above my finger nail is from where the build platform is clearing the top level of the resin. Doesn't seem to happen with the bigger parts, think it must be resin movement/surface tension effect. Now I know it happens I can increase the support length so it misses the printed part.

Clint in pilot seat.jpg

Added details to the suit and in the process of adding some finer details to the seat. Just noticed at a different angle Clints left wrist looks a bit anorexic, must fix that.

Last edited:
As I believe this is the definitive Firefox thread now I wanted to share some revelations I've come across while researching both the miniature and full-size aircraft . Its an ongoing project as there is so little out there but occasionally things crop up and with a bit of delving its amazing what comes to light -

For example, did you know the full size mockup of the cockpit still exists!?

FB_IMG_1515183319863.jpgFB_IMG_1515190378072.jpg

These pictures were taken a few years back and were believed to be in storage at Grant McCune's facility before the contents were sold on. I think its now in private hands.

And check these out;

FB_IMG_1515169086551.jpgFB_IMG_1515169086551-001.jpg

The five-foot miniature being restored for exhibition at the WB museum where it currently resides. Best pictures I've seen of this in a Looong time. I've also been busy on the Apogee Facebook page - now you can only join up if you worked for them as its kind of theor private page but I do have a contact on there and got him to put a question out to some of the guys who worked on the miniature, specifically - what colour the damn thing was - and here is his reply;

From discussions about the firefox model: Michael K Speaker: David Beasley and I sculpted the five foot Firefox. The plane was painted a dark gray with very little chroma i.e. Neither warm or cold color. It was semi shiny and that creates a blue light kick from the blue screen.

Not exactly the Pantone reference I know but a start...

FB_IMG_1515183319863.jpg

FB_IMG_1515190378072.jpg

FB_IMG_1515169086551.jpg

FB_IMG_1515169086551-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, sorry it's been a long time since an update. My Mom died just before Christmas, and kind of lost my motivation.

Had done some work before that, started printing the rest of my 1/24th, and saw that some parts needed more decimation as the Photocentric printer can resolve them. Not that obvious, but I could see it.
IMG_20171214_123057.jpgIMG_20171214_123205.jpgIMG_20171214_123227.jpgIMG_20171214_123314.jpg

Good news is 1.5mm walls are strong enough so much less resin is needed than I thought, this part was pretty flexible until it was UV cured but didn't want to break, it feels almost exactly like a model kit part.

I then drove myself mad with this section as it just didn't look right, I was unsure before but convinced myself it was just the way it looked as an isolated piece. Picked up a Firefox presskit off ebay with an original photograph of the pic in my avatar. It was much better resolution being an original, so it let me see the curvature from the panel lines more obviously. The top curve where it goes from the flat top to the sides was too tight a corner, fixed that and also noticed the front is wider that I had it where the canards are.

View attachment Firefox lobby pic.jpg

The photo matching in Sketchup then sent me down the rabbit hole for the past few days. I could not get the model to line up right. I hadn't done this since early on after I had the major dimensions worked out as the complexity of the model caused the software to go so slow or crash it was unusable. Turns out upgrading to an intel i7 and an Nvidia GTX970 helps, then removing the facet heavy exhausts and pilot from the file makes it almost snappy.

So turns out I had one major screw up that luckily was a relatively easy fix. The wing from the root to the end of the leading edge was too long shrunk that 2% and it all seems to line up. There are details to fix, have to rebuild the neck, AGAIN! as there is now a gap. Still checking the tailplane tilt as another degree made them line up better, but I think both models are a little off, I can see the right tailplane on the one is set further back than the other which I think is throwing the angle off.
Outer wings were a bit off shape and again a bit too big, shrunk/sized them, but require partial rebuild as it's screwed up the lateral panel lines. I misjudged the size as they needed to be angled down 2 degrees more.

So these are the model overlaid, thanks Martin for the pics, the one in the crate is good colour reference. but yes it is actually shades of grey in the other pic which looks like natural lighting.
Firefox photo match lobby pic.jpgFirefox 1-12 2017 photo match WB rebuild in crate.jpgFirefox 1-12 2017 photo match WB rebuild.jpgFirefox photo match studio model top view.jpgFirefox photo match WB museum 1.jpg
Hard to get a complete match, there is always some lens distortion. I did play around with the lens correction feature of Photoshop on one pic, and it did seem to help maybe, but not knowing what lens was used it's a guessing game.

Oh in another good start to the year the tray in my Formlabs printer cracked in situ and leaked resin inside the whole printer, after a full strip-down and clean it miraculously still worked, then last week the laser expired. After some detective work including dremelling out the resin in the laser assembly (really don't want you looking inside) I think I can fix it.

Last edited:
The photo matching in Sketchup then sent me down the rabbit hole for the past few days. I could not get the model to line up right. I hadn't done this since early on after I had the major dimensions worked out as the complexity of the model caused the software to go so slow or crash it was unusable. Turns out upgrading to an intel i7 and an Nvidia GTX970 helps, then removing the facet heavy exhausts and pilot from the file makes it almost snappy.

Not sure which version of SU you are using, but I saw a marked improvement going from 2016 to 2017 using photomatch.
In 2016 I could only import part of my model and it was sluggish but in 2017 I can bring in the entire thing and it is quite receptive to being manipulated. No change apart from the update in version - worth considering if your still on 2016.

Firefox: I'm very sorry about the loss of your mother.I know how hard it is to lose a parent.My father passed away a few years back.I sent you my E-mail so i don't know if you recieved it or i didn't do it right.John

Not sure which version of SU you are using, but I saw a marked improvement going from 2016 to 2017 using photomatch.
In 2016 I could only import part of my model and it was sluggish but in 2017 I can bring in the entire thing and it is quite receptive to being manipulated. No change apart from the update in version - worth considering if your still on 2016.

Thanks, I do have 2017, but realised I was using 2015 as most of my files are that format, and have a couple of plug-ins that won't transfer. Also discovered under styles I had transparency enabled which also makes it slow to respond.

Actually just realised I'm an idiot, you can save as version 2015 in 2017.

Last edited:
It's looking great!
Condolences on the passing of your Mother.
I lost my Mum in 2010, and i know it's a tough time.
Stay strong. She will never be far from your thoughts.

I was wondering if these measurements were accurate. I have the Mig-31 as being 62 foot 8 inches
long and 46 foot 7 inches wide.fire1a.jpg

I was wondering if these measurements were accurate. I have the Mig-31 as being 62 foot 8 inches
long and 46 foot 7 inches wide.

Yes, 62' 8" long, width is 13.2m or 43' 4". The wings are over sized in that pic hence the bigger measurement.

Doing the plans is not as easy as I thought, I guess you want the outline of the front section with the relative placement of the cockpit interior, like an x-ray?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back