Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

the basic measurement would be fine/ Firefox_InsPanel-0002.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

cockpit outside demensions.wuJekTLl.jpg

Attachments

• Firefox_InsPanel-0002.jpg
    Firefox_InsPanel-0002.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 504
Sorry to hear about your loss mate. I'd an idea it was something serious, but no-one likes to speculate.
The start of a long road, the only consolation I can offer is the loss gets easier to bear over time.
Keep busy.

Thanks, it was a surprise when it happened but not a complete shock if that makes sense. The good news is my Dad is doing ok, wasn't sure how much it was going to affect him.

On a lighter note, I think I have fixed my Form1 printer. Fitted a new laser diode, which was an educated guess from the specs I could gather, Formlabs don't give much away. It's test printing yet another 1/12th canard now with new Photocentric black resin. It looks ok, fingers crossed.

Whatever is the easiest for you Firefox.Thanks.

How is this for a start, can size it so it prints out at A4 or A3 with a sensible scale, this is just rough and ready

Firefox front side plan.jpg

Can easily make the measurements show in inches if you like it old school style ;)

Last edited:
Firefox: I was wondering if you could give me a front,top and bottom view ? Thinking i might be able to fit that on my hovercraft build.Thanks,John

My Form 1 is fixed and working better than ever. I think the laser diode was on the way out when I bought it as now prints are near perfect and I am getting the claimed 0.03mm resolution or darned close.

IMG_20180413_195516.jpgIMG_20180413_232701.jpg

This is with the surprisingly affordable Photocentric firm resin. Learnt from the pilot test that you don't clean/scrub before UV exposure, hence the rough surface and lost detail,
Just let it sit in isopropyl alcohol for 20 mins or so. The firm is not that firm with small things, the cockpit dash is 2cm across 3/4' or so and the supports caused it to deform a bit. The left side printed last with no support intervention and came out much cleaner. Will probably print with the cockpit tub so it self supports.

Also annoyingly worked out the Funtodo resin I had been using caused me to think the printer was working way out of spec as I had to reduce the laser power significantly from the stock "grey" setting to get it to work right. The Photocentric resin works virtually spot on at stock, just slightly overexposed. So the Funtodo resin I received was way out of spec, as it way to much photo-initiator in the mix.

Just about finished the cockpit detailing

Firefox cockpit render 01.jpg
Firefox cockpit render 02.jpg

Tweaked Clint also, printed a 1/24 one and could see the torso was too tall and the right arm too long, shoulders too bulked up and a few minor things, printing another one now.

I can tell you exactly how big he is because I measured him checking for the shrinkage factor of the resin, 62.6mm from boot bottom to back of the helmet. lol, or about 5cm tall.

IMG_20180419_231326.jpg

1/48th scale on the left, as I said I scrubbed a bit too much at the black one when the resin was still soft, does well with the very small details - hard to pick up in the pic.

I was just using up the green Makerjuice resin as I only had a bit left. It prints well with bigger things, but is not as sharp and tends to clump around the support points. Also I used the orientation suggested by the software for the small ones, where they printed with some support contact points on the front, The big one I orientated so he was lying on his back with his feet in the air, so most the supports points can not be seen.

I took the Dvd and put it on my laptop and got a lot of good screenshots of the Mig-31 and instrument panels. Need to get the theme song on my computer.

So I started looking at Clints likeness when studying details for the ejector seat, and realised the CG scuplt I bought was much worse than I thought. So a silly amount of hours later, it actually looks like him.

Clint head original vs new.jpg

What I bought on the left, vs mine, I really am proud of the difference, surprised myself.
After about twenty test renders pinned down a realistic base skin colour, discovered a noise bump map brings it to life, essentially simulating the micro skin variations.
Helmet has a slight reshape, and almost finished what I started doing which was detailing the ejector seat!

Clint new render.jpg

Might just put the creases back in his brow, will probably only take about an hour...

Last edited:
I figured the scale too small to make out any resemblance to Eastwood but so glad you've made the changes!
So - must be nearing the finish line for renders by now? When can we expect the kit..??? ;)

So, I went to add the crease in his brow and quite a few hours later, the final version. Realised it looked ok to the side or partial, but head on but was way too wide and deep. Really done now as I could probably spend another day on it and not be any closer. Did a photo match in Sketchup and it's right on the money.
The fact that even at 1/24th his face is only around 5mm high... well once I started I had to get it right.

Clint render old vs final.jpg

Clint render 01.jpg

I will print a bigger one for the hell of it, 1/6th scale or so just see what it looks like.

Yes, Martin not far off now, I have a few things to finish, body parts are easy to print so those will be direct printed for the kit, still have to get a good engine print, but with my fixed printer that should not be a problem now.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back