Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

After a bit of Dremel action to cut off the extended support part for the front
IMG_20181006_160740.jpgIMG_20181006_161649.jpgIMG_20181006_161029.jpg
Tabs on the blue ABS part hold the front on tight, there's a tiny bit of distortion on the bottom edge, extending the waste part by 3mm for the next one. Also somehow turned off the slice anti-aliasing in the slicing software so the 0.09mm pixel steps are visible on nose. There is bit of distortion on the front canopy beams where they meet the body, discovered the wall is a bit thin there so that needs thickening. The recesses around the canopy are for 0.75mm acrylic sheet for the canopy glass.
IMG_20181006_160635.jpgIMG_20181006_160605.jpg
Air-brakes came out nice at 0.1mm layers, thought they might need 0.05mm resolution but doesn't seem necessary. Need to fix a few shallow panel lines on the main body part then get that printing later.

IMG_20181006_161126.jpg
New Z axis drive has improved the surface finish a lot, new left old right, the photo shows the belt noise, but it's only microns deep. Really tight drive belts on the printer improve accuracy and lower noise, but it does show the stepping/ringing effect a bit more.

Wow! It's not often words fail me. It would seem this is one of those times! I can't wait to see the rest![emoji3]

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Hi Everyone,

Just joined up to say what an amazing thread. My favorite fictional aircraft and everything I could ever wish to know about it is here. My son saw the film for the first time the other day and he is hooked too. He's been flying the Firefox in X-Plane for the last few days! I could write a thesis on what is wrong with the film, but the plane is just great!

Steve

Boy is this a machine...couldn't resist using the line, lol

IMG_20181022_160105_proc.jpgIMG_20181022_160153_proc.jpgIMG_20181022_160253_proc.jpgIMG_20181022_160306_proc.jpgIMG_20181022_160907.jpgIMG_20181022_160933.jpgIMG_20181022_162936.jpgIMG_20181022_163012.jpgIMG_20181022_162832.jpg

Annoying how the camera makes the surface noise look worse than it really is. Have a built in stand mount for 1/2" AF hex brass. Someone wants gears down so there will be gear bays for this version, have to build them but they are relatively simple, and have the F-4 Phantom landing gear from a free to use model.

Waiting for some filament to continue the engine section and other wing, Working out print jobs for the other high detail bits cockpit, tailplanes, canards, airbrakes, leading wing edges, ailerons, defence pods and rear engine section, looks like 4 or 5 print jobs to get them done.

Don't think I have posted most of these, screenshots from the blu-ray. Full size under studio/indoor lighting
Firefox full size.jpgFirefox (720p)[20-36-55].JPGFirefox cockpit detail.jpg

Full size where you can see the panel toning they did more obviously
Ice floe full size.jpg

Looks like metallic grey car paint, tending towards a blue/grey tint.
Firefox 1080p[01-21-37].JPGFirefox (1080p)[16-57-52].JPG

R/C conversion ice floe landing model, looks darker, but they were just doing there best to match the lighting.
Ice floe model 01.jpg

The base paint on the big models was a grey primer with a blue tint, and the lighting enhanced the blue to simulate sky reflections
Firefox studio lighting.jpg

I think as close as you going to get to what it would look like in person is this one.
FB_IMG_1515169086551-001.jpg

These latest posts are glorious - and thanks for the wallpaper!!
Just one observation though - is the canopy frame a little too thick on your print or is it down to where the window panels actually sit?

That's an incredible miniature you're creating, i can't wait to see what kind of paintjob this will get.

I absolutely adore the gleaming hull in the movie miniature shots. :)

Rich

These latest posts are glorious - and thanks for the wallpaper!!
Just one observation though - is the canopy frame a little too thick on your print or is it down to where the window panels actually sit?

It's pretty much identical, but the large filming miniatures had no physical frame for the front edges as it was holes cut in the thin shell with 0.04" clear acrylic glued on the surface. With the paint and clear coat layers it mostly hid the step, you can just see it in a few shots.

The print has what would be a "real" internal structure, so it's more visible.

There is enough strength that you could lose the front spars and just have the 0.75mm acrylic to be more accurate to the 1/12th ones. The full-size mock-up does have an impossibly thin canopy frame.

That's an incredible miniature you're creating, i can't wait to see what kind of paintjob this will get.

I absolutely adore the gleaming hull in the movie miniature shots. :)

Rich

Thanks Rich, I hope I can do it justice. I have a few parts to do paint tests on before I tackle the whole thing. Will probably get a polyester primer basecoat put on by a car paint shop as it's a similar grey/blue they used. Then a 1k topcoat for the shine.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back