Firefox MIG-31 movie aircraft

I just finished reading both of the "Firefox" novels, and the Gant character is very different in the books (and not in a good way).
Also, in the original novel, the plane is described as something like a large-engine variant of the MIG-25, which the real MIG-31 actually is, to a degree. In the sequel, "Firefox Down," the plane is described exactly as the one in the movie.
Would be cool if they could have made a movie on the sequel novel's plot but Eastwood was way too old by then.
Now, I'm envisioning the Firefox model in a diorama where they're hot-fueling it on that lake in Finland with the Hind attack choppers overhead and closing in to destroy the MIG, like in the sequel novel...

For a 'Christmas update', you do the refueling scene but in Rankin Bass style... have a polar bear and fox waving too, a narwhal checking things out...

Good one!

Have done a lot of small things after getting the hi-res photos that have let me see some of the finer details for the first time. Also bought and converted a Cubex printer so I can print big in ABS. This was for work prototyping but can use it for printing the 1/24th scale version in relatively few pieces, still works out about 5 days of printing!

Decided the engines outer facets will be photo etch over a simple base structure so they can be glued on. Will be fiddly with 18 pieces for each engine but will keep the fine detail that casting a master I think would lose.
Firefox exhaust inner.jpg
Engine feather fit over the dark grey part, inner engine is new also following the full size version

Firefox ejector seat.jpg
Built an ejector seat for the 1/24th version, (you can buy a Brassin 1/48th version) not hyper detailed apart from the top which is about all you can see really.

As I said a number of parts rebuilt or fixed, remade most of the front fuselage as I could see the profile much clearer and the shaping of the top of the canopy which was too flat before. Panel lines still have to be embossed, wanted to make sure everything was right before I committed as it's damn hard to undo afterwards!
Firefox 18-12-16 01.jpg
Firefox 18-12-16 02.jpg

Last bit of fiddling/tweaking done, finally got the front fuselage neck/wing transition right. Something about it kept bugging me, on the original there is a way the shadow/highlights are created that I didn't have. Finally realised the top of the fuselage from a bit behind the canards to the wing root is sculpted/flattened in quite significantly above the midline, much more than I thought. It's hidden as for some reason that part has very little panel lines compared to the rest of the plane. There are a couple of extra panel lines in there more for me as it shows the transition of the shaping
Firefox 2017 01.jpg
Firefox 2017 02.jpg
Left the pics in monochrome as you can see the shadow change, it shows up more in the top down view - the top flattened section narrows then widens and blends to the rounded part around the airbrakes. It probably looks hardly any different to anyone else than me, but now it just looks correct. These are big pics so click and click again for full size.

Took a bit of a gamble before xmas and bought a Formlabs Form 1 clone quite cheap. It's exactly the same apart from the badging and the acrylic cover, firmware updates to the lastest version with the Formlabs software. I don't cordone the practise, but there is no way I would be buying a real one at £1K+ especially as there does seem to be a number of issues even with the real ones. It was printing but a bit "blurry" on the outline, after a couple of evenings research before the auction ended I'm confident it can be sorted out. They are surprisingly simple, a laser bouncing off X and Y mirrors controlled by galvanometers. Also discovered a third party version of the Formlabs software that lets you create custom resin profiles so you can get the correct exposure for non Formlabs resins. I think the blurry edges were caused by over curing as the print profile was not for the resin that was in the printer. Still waiting for some resin to arrive from the only place I can find in the UK that sells it for a sensible price, all the US places had horrendous shipping charges, basically double the cost of the resin, then would still have to pay import duties.
With this (hopefully) I can print a perfect 1/48th master, and parts like the canards, cockpit/canopy and engines at 1/48th and 1/24th to include with the kits. They would use very little resin, so should work out similar to the cost of making casting.

Jon

Looks so good!!
Still such an incredible endeavour, maybe once the project is complete I could pursuade you to turn this into an aircraft model kit for rc, I still want to build one in 1/12th and possibly 1/6th scales :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Still such an incredible endeavour, maybe once the project is complete I could pursuade you to turn this into an aircraft model kit for rc, I still want to build one in 1/12th and possibly 1/6th scales :)

What material are the large scale planes built with now? As I think I said before I could do cross-section slice drawings, couldn't guarantee airworthiness as they did seem to make some changes to the RC versions they built for filming!

Meant to ask this a while ago, there are some what I think must be kit parts around the lower engine section, does anyone recognise them?Firefox engine parts.jpg
The width denoted by the red line is 90mm or 3.5 inches. There are 2 parts on the inner top surface, look like half a spark plug to me, but might be 2 parts put together. Then one on the inside edge and bottom middle which looks vaguely familiar, maybe on the Millennium Falcon? Then another part top right and bottom left which makes me think of a fuel tank with straps?

It's not a big deal as this is 1/12th and it's unlikely the parts are available in the smaller scales, will just have to model something similar.

Last edited:
I found this thread a couple of weeks ago. Very impressive work. I agree about the flattening off aft of the cockpit. Possibly this was a result of a degree of simplification during the construction of either the models or the prop.
I have one of the 1/24 scale Firefox models in a box, I am now afraid to un-box it, as I know I don't have the concentration to put this level of detail into my model. However, it draws me to it, hiding in that box, finish me!

Excellent job so far, keep up the good work:thumbsup

Hey Firefox 3D,

I've been following your thread for a couple months now. I don't know what I have exactly and I'm still a noob when it comes to exact scale length but wondered if you could give me some suggestions for a Firefox that may be either 1/35 or 1/32. I don't know if it's from one of the movie prop molds because I haven't looked at all my notes in a long time and can't remember for sure but it is one of Will's and I got whatever he had at the time in 2000. I had to focus on work for quite a few years and shelved it almost immediately. 17yrs later I'm trying to get serious about finishing.

It's definitely had its problems but I'm slowly working through them except for things like the rear engine nozzles and shrouds which is impossible for me to get all that detail, the nightmare of the rearward defense pods and then add in that cockpit with all the cool lights, details etc. It's accurate but there are a few differences I think in panel lines or maybe those details aren't really prevalent at that scale length? I was wondering if I end up figuring out what scale it is, would it be possible to buy custom scale parts for that scale in addition to buying the full on 1/24 scale or even go 1/18 like the scale I've seen in a few other threads? Is this something that might be a possibility at all? I haven't seen this much detail and care since my early conversations with Will and all the pics and plans he gave me. Great job and love all the work you've done!

Sean

I found this thread a couple of weeks ago. Very impressive work. I agree about the flattening off aft of the cockpit. Possibly this was a result of a degree of simplification during the construction of either the models or the prop.
I have one of the 1/24 scale Firefox models in a box, I am now afraid to un-box it, as I know I don't have the concentration to put this level of detail into my model. However, it draws me to it, hiding in that box, finish me!

Excellent job so far, keep up the good work:thumbsup

Thanks, I have the 1/48th version, which I have slated a bit in this thread, just because it wasn't as it portrayed itself on the box. I compared it to mine a while ago and the major dimensions are actually quite good, the main problems are the oversize engine section and the front shaping. The front is very difficult to get right as it's sculpted from multiple angles, and as I discovered it does vary between the different models to make it even more difficult.

Jon

I don't recognize any of the lower parts, but this is from the Kettenkrad.

Parts under the engines look like the tops of shock struts (thrust collar visible...)

Hi Robert is there a pic of the Kettenkrad part available, I know I have seen part maps on here somewhere? I wasn't planning on incorporating that bit as I am not sure it is on all the versions, and it leaves little material on the corner at 1/48th.

I will just scratch the other parts, that's the best/only view I have of them.

Jon

Hey Firefox 3D,

I've been following your thread for a couple months now. I don't know what I have exactly and I'm still a noob when it comes to exact scale length but wondered if you could give me some suggestions for a Firefox that may be either 1/35 or 1/32. I don't know if it's from one of the movie prop molds because I haven't looked at all my notes in a long time and can't remember for sure but it is one of Will's and I got whatever he had at the time in 2000. I had to focus on work for quite a few years and shelved it almost immediately. 17yrs later I'm trying to get serious about finishing.

It's definitely had its problems but I'm slowly working through them except for things like the rear engine nozzles and shrouds which is impossible for me to get all that detail, the nightmare of the rearward defense pods and then add in that cockpit with all the cool lights, details etc. It's accurate but there are a few differences I think in panel lines or maybe those details aren't really prevalent at that scale length? I was wondering if I end up figuring out what scale it is, would it be possible to buy custom scale parts for that scale in addition to buying the full on 1/24 scale or even go 1/18 like the scale I've seen in a few other threads? Is this something that might be a possibility at all? I haven't seen this much detail and care since my early conversations with Will and all the pics and plans he gave me. Great job and love all the work you've done!

Sean

Hi Sean, if it was 2000 then I think it's the Studio 2 1/48th one I have (about 16 inches long) which there was also a 1/24th released later.

The Studio 2 is not close enough to transplant parts over, things just wouldn't line up.
As far as I know Will never released the 1/32nd he was working on in 2006, we have spoken a few times over the last year or so, he is still working on the 1/18th.

I am about to start printing 1/24th pieces for my model, these will be a first run test to see it actually looks right in the flesh. Also working on the Form1 resin printer to get that going for the 1/48th master, looks like the silicone base in the resin tray has started to break down as resin had been left in some considerable time, turns out the life of the trays is ridiculously short, you have to treat them as a consumable.
After a lot of web searching and suggestions for improvements by people running Form or other laser/DLP printers have found a more suitable replacement silicone to re-do the tray myself for a fraction of the price of new trays.

Jon

Last edited:
Hey Jon,
I thought I would throw a few pics of it out there for everyone to check out. It came in 2 fiberglass halfs with resin parts.

b5899e4155e55fd93fe56ddaef0c0427.jpg

66fedf493d3c42b4ecc4a95b69e38192.jpg

I also took a few pics with the parts rough mounted.

afbb8c44a6164510dba4f9dba3c8713e.jpg

4ed4e436cce628122a7ab12065f72066.jpg

813c19f7f83aaf7cfd08465cb2b856be.jpg

As you can see from the pics I've got my work cut out for me lol. Not sure how I'll get the shrouds done, defense pods etc..Also looks like with the added tailpiece it comes out to roughly 20 inches.

Also I'm a noob when it comes to forums and never post so apologies if the pics attached are the wrong formats or maybe not following a certain forum protocol so by all means let me know. Just looking for suggestions other than put it in the garbage lol.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DO NOT PUT IT IN THE GARBAGE!

I am fairly certain that is a cast from the moulds of the 21" version as it matches this one, can't remember where I found these but the panel line pattern matches.
Firefox 21 inch resin.jpgFirefox 21 inch resin 2.jpg

But.....it is different to the bigger 1/12th version I am working from. I think it might have been done first as it shares differences that appear in the original 2D plans, where the proportions of the rear section engine pod and wings are different. I would take a guess they made changes on the big one to make it more airworthy.

I could help you out with parts if you gave me specific dimensions, could size them to fit.

Jon

Hey Jon,

Yeah that's the one! I've had those 2 pics and a few others Will sent to me for reference material since 2000. Also at the bottom of my last post in the pic you can see a Mini Firefox I also got but never finished. Yeah one of the things I also noticed was that it doesn't have the air brakes on the top of the fuselage. Also I cut out the engine intakes with the hope of putting something in there that resembles Turmansky engines. I've also had to fabricate the part where the small wingtips attach to the main wings (never sure what that piece was called) and I'm still sanding it down to the correct size. Cutting the main body out of the fiberglass was super tough at the time as well. I remember Will mentioning to me that my cast at the time was the last cast he could do because the mould broke as he got mine out of it. He said at the time he was going to fix it by disassembling the above version and doing a new mould but then I got busy with work and never got a chance to check on his progress and that was back in the AOL days lol. I'll start working on measurements and check my notes as well. Thought about 3d scanning it at one point as well but wouldn't know at what stage to do something like that, whether there's any benefit to anyone to do that or if that's something that could be fun to mess around with in modeling software etc.

Sean

Ah ok so it was made by Will, makes sense now. From what I have seen 3D scanning only produces useful results with the pro gear, looks like a robotic arm, which is 10's of thousands. The "cheap" home versions claim good resolution but don't seem to be able to do it real world, and the size of what you can scan is limited. For complex models photogrammetry - 3D from multiple photos, seems to be a better solution as there is free software out there and it's just data crunching time on a decent pc.

Jon

Jon, it just occured to me that the trio of nozzles might be from a 1/72 scale modern jet fighter kit, given the 'petal' lines engraved on the surface. Something like an F-16 or F-15 kit may have been the source (not an F-14 as they seem? to lack the recursive ring at the opening where the inner layer of nozzle plates show a bit.)

I'm looking for some motorcycle kit scans but no joy yet. I don't think the shock struts would come from the Kett kit since the front forks are enclosed in pressed steel fairings...
R/ Robert

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back