Mad Max: Fury Road - Nux Bird Bobblehead

That's not done yet, I need the bracket and washer stack inside the mouth, then paint.
No wiper yet, I patterned it off a real wiper. I did find if you do get a wiper you can just cut it down, as long as the crimp style is similar. Will post pics.
I was going to walk a local wrecking yard for a few.
The nice think about these is that you have the hole you can either rivet or screw the base down.

I didn't post the rest of the bases for sale, as I decided to just machine them at at the same time, which I already did. It makes it easy for people building them.
Not sure if I should just build the rest and sell. I only need to do two. I have another buddy with a 1040 Dodge truck. Although not a monster truck like the movie one but Maybe he'd put that thing on his dash!

Have a good a safe Holiday tomorrow guys.
Wear safety goggle if your burnin' something, please!

Well, here's something fun:

Just finished these up for the last group of people who ordered them through my Etsy shop and they're all updated with the new rounded "left eye".

View attachment 496453

But, whether fortunately or unfortunately, they aren't the perfectly rounded green-painted-black marbles or eyes (or whatever they are) as the original seems to indicate. No, because of my skull, I had to settle for something that I could get away with within budget and still, at least, resemble the original thing.

View attachment 496455

They're casts of modified carriage bolts I picked up from the hardware store. They're hemispherical so they sit better against the "eye cavity" of my bird skull. Same goes with the nut; can't use an acorn nut, gotta stay true with the hex.

One thing that I'm not going to change in light of the new stuff discovered in this thread is the guide rod. It's practicality of helping keep my bobble stable (from wobbling so far it becomes unbalanced) is too handy to sacrifice. It's going to remain a steel rod, for me.
Are you gonna keep selling these. I would love one (maybe two) but you seem to be out of stock at the moment. They look awesome btw!

Since we're dealing with cars, any chance that nut in the eye socket is actually a lug nut?
definately an acron nut, though there are shallow ones and taller ones.

A lug nut doesn't have the step, it had a conical transition, also the the size would be a slightly smaller lug nut.

I found chrome acorn nuts at the home depot it fits near perfect, but am going to get zinc plain ones first because they are cheaper, second, they should be greasy or painted not chrome.

I hit the junkyard today, 1/2 sale, 3.00 wiper arms. also found a bunch of misc pieces from a Bullet Bird about a 62ish, I think it made it to Valhalla. Forgot to shoot a pic of it.
The rest of the bits will go on a Madmax gift Im working on.
wiper score.jpg

I will be shortening the bodies, I mainly wanted the crimp area to be similar. Found on 60's Tbird and the rest are late 70's Chevy Van
I've never soldered stainless before, we will see how that goes.

I also found some correct size acorn nuts and threw them in the pile.
See the difference?
nut 2.JPGnut 1.JPG

I hit the junkyard today, 1/2 sale, 3.00 wiper arms. also found a bunch of misc pieces from a Bullet Bird about a 62ish, I think it made it to Valhalla. Forgot to shoot a pic of it.

View attachment 497448

I will be shortening the bodies, I mainly wanted the crimp area to be similar.

I also found some correct size acorn nuts and threw them in the pile.
See the difference?
nut 1.JPGnut 2.JPG

Cool stuff! From the side at a distance the wipers look good, any chance you'll shoot the crimp/insides for us? You know what model/year vehicle they're from?

Acorn nut looks good too!

The crimp on the inside has a spring. Like most all wiper arms. The one fail on my part is the taper width, meaning how much it tapers per the length. I'll cut one so you can see what i mean. All these wiper arms are either oem or trico. Which is probably the oem anyhow. The only arms i have seen that are wide and very short are vw beetle ones. I know some else posted a very specific one from like a 35 chevy, either way it still a trico brand just a different or earlier number.

I also saw some Mercedes headlight wipers, not correct either.
If you guy know anyone with a super beetle or regular from the 70's check out the wiper arm. It may be a closer arm to use.

Here are the pics.
wiper bottoms.JPGextra parts.JPGgift project.JPG

Also posting images of the side project. There is the base the bobble will be riveted to, its a power steering reservoir top for the Tbird.
The other base is the master cylinder top all nice and crusty!

Im making a Gigahorse version of that little tuner with some Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars my coworker designed.

Last edited:
I really like the extra sub-base made from car parts for stability - nice idea!

I ordered a vintage Fiat wiper blade which is very close in size and configuration, the length and style of the crimp is nearly spot on, but the distance to the rivet and end of the metal arm is about .25 too long. It also gets a little too tall towards the wider end.

On another note, my couplings finally came from Australia and I posted a minsup 1" in the Junkyard if anybody is still looking for a base.

Here We Go AgainDSC00458.JPGDSC00459.JPGDSC00460.JPG I still think this 1" base is too small I actually didn't use it and made one bigger but it still looks small to me? I intend to make a slightly bigger version of the base.Still I now have a Flock of bobbleheads or is it just a Bobble of them?

The minsup couplings body sizes are all identical - the only thing that changes is the hole diameter and top 'ring', and 1-1/4 is the max. A 1-1/4 coupling looks almost like a tube with the ring as large as the body.

Not to say that a 1" coupling wouldn't be too small for your bobblehead. I'll admit, after spending weeks looking at close up photos, the couplings (and, therefore, the whole prop) were surprisingly small overall. Kind of like celebrities, I guess. The skull comes to 100mm or just under 4 inches, if you trust my photoshop measuring ability - and why wouldja!

As we've discovered, the base footprint does need to be bigger to keep the thing from toppling unless it is in fact bolted down. I'm a fan of Abelugo's solution on this one, but fabricating a giant minsup coupling is a fun way to go too!

Hi Logan I agree with your comments on this Bl££dy bird but If the skull is indeed that of a crow then most crows have roughly the same size swede therefore it was a young crow or a smaller bird. or a bigger base none of the bases I have used are metal infact the only metal parts on any of the things are the spring and the nut in the right eye Noooooo just the spring the nut is moulded with the skull all the rest have been resin.The last base I have used is bigger than the claw connector but in my opinion still to small.However the person who built that bobblehead for the film ,I bet he was oblivious to the headbanging he /she has caused us on here But as You rightly say the original is riveted to the dash so it is stable.I am up to my neck in Bobblebirds I hope We can all agree @some stage and forget all about this bobbling Doo -Dah

The original is riveted to the dash- you can see the rivet heads in the pics.

Logan, I was about to ask about that connector but I guessit sold. darn.

I also ordered a VW wiper this week, may get it today will post pics with that one as well.

Im machining the gullet-inside mouth, details prob today.

Last edited:
nice! Any more pics to come? Sooner or later I'll have a few castings of the minsup in the junkyard here, nobody will miss out.

Logan the weight of the real deal makes it for me. I may just have to buy a real one for myself from AU. The little cover is a power steering reservior cover of a 61 Thunderbird. I did a quick patina wash and clear coated before the trip. Here a few more shots.

the trip is for work. @Matchboxworld or #matchboxgoodoldtime just do a search.

The great thing of the all metal is the weight and the sounds. It has an erie bobble squeek and sounds like it is laughing at you at the right speeds and bumps.
I'll post videos of that when i get back in. The gullet details are just machined washers tacked in. A quick job.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 202
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 278
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 201
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure yours bounces a lot more authentically than mine does. :lol Either way, I had this video linked to me by one of the people that bought one not too long ago, and I must confess, I'm pleased as punch!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back