Mad Max: Fury Road - Nux Bird Bobblehead

Do you guys think a screw goes across the skull? Nut hole.jpg.
Save and enlarge this pic, and I'm pretty sure you can see thru the nut to it's back side. No bolt visable to me. Also, it would be virtually impossible to "thread" a nut onto the bolt without destroying the thin bone skull.

I'm told it was taken at the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

As TerminalSaint was kind to point out, the car and bobblebird were on display this past weekend.

I implored some of our european friends who were going anyway to get some better images of the drivers side, and they more or less came through:

drivers4.jpg

Happily, two of them took flash photos which highlighted the mysterious nature of the driver's side eye. One of the more astute of them described it as an old beaten up glass marble, painted black with a scraped-off section to resemble a cats-eye. That would explain why it appears all black with a glossy stripe in all the images taken without flash.

The passenger's side eye appears to be an acorn nut with the dome inwards.

A big thanks to Terminalsaint for the heads-up!

Last edited:
@logan74k Yes! I was just looking at photos of the Mad Max cars on display, and was psyched to see the marble eye so clearly.

I thought it was notable that the skull appears to be solid or filled, which makes sense, since it would give the head more 'bobble.'

Here's my contribution:

NuxBobblehead3.jpg

You can get a good look at the underside of the beak, or what's left of it.

Edit: Dang, logan74k, I just realized this picture is from your thread on the forum where I found it. Sorry, yo. You seriously left no stone un-turned.

Last edited by a moderator:
@B Wo - Haha, thanks. Good on you for working to find more reference in any case. I cropped that shot figuring the eye was the most revealing detail, but you're right it's interesting to see the inside of the mouth as well.

I probably did leave some stones unturned, but I figured asking for help on three different car forums was enough. As it worked out only these guys were game.

If you search Flickr for Goodwood photos, there are thousands. A few people have wide angle snaps of Nux's Chevy; nobody however seemed a bit interested in going inside the screen used Mad Max vehicles for photos. Too distracted by production cars flying around the track I suppose.

Last edited:
Do you guys think a screw goes across the skull?

Yes, I think so. Hex nut or acorn, if you look inside the nut you'll see the bottom of a small thread of some kind (seen in the pic at the top of the page), inserted to probably keep the nut in place.

As for the glass eye, I'm not so sure whether if it's fully round or hemispherical and just tacked into the socket with epoxy or tapped and screwed in, as well. I've had glass eyes for another project that were flat on the bottom and I had better luck with that when it comes to gluing than something completely round.

Do I see a couple tie wraps on the spring?
Looks like it , maybe to keep the head from bobbling during transport?

i machined and milled will update in a bit. Need to walk the dog and build a cardboard template for the wiper arm. A stand in untill i get a real one. I may walk the wrecking yard this weekend and see what find. I noticed some old beetle wipers have the crimp and are short.

does anyone know if the gigahorse was at this show. I still need side view of the skul shifter.
I just about lost interest in the steering wheel because i cant ID the mouth piece yet.

Looks like it , maybe to keep the head from bobbling during transport?

i machined and milled will update in a bit. Need to walk the dog and build a cardboard template for the wiper arm. A stand in untill i get a real one. I may walk the wrecking yard this weekend and see what find. I noticed some old beetle wipers have the crimp and are short.

does anyone know if the gigahorse was at this show. I still need side view of the skul shifter.
I just about lost interest in the steering wheel because i cant ID the mouth piece yet.

I've only see photos of Nux's car and the intro Interceptor from the event.

Here's a proposal as to the guide 'rod':

Looking closely I'm willing to bet that it's a 7-8mm cloth braided wire of some type, with the double straight tracer pattern shown here http://www.riwire.com/Catalogs/sup/pages/wire.htm (second wire down)

My reasoning is that I see a lot of frayed threads in and around the guide rod, and the top seems to flare a bit similar to an unraveling braid.

guiderod1.jpg

In the far left image I can also faintly make out a pattern similar to the double straight tracer I linked to.

Definitely a braid pattern here:
criscrosllmakeyou.jpg

There's also this picture previously uploaded where it's bent, and if it were a rigid steel rod it would be a pain to straighten (and why wouldja)
bobble.png

Also +1 to what TerminalSaint says. No Gigahorse.

Looking at the glass eye, rather than green with black paint, could it be clear with dark green and the light is spreading the green around in the scraped out area?
Because it seems to be clear close to the skull.

Here is my version as of yet, funny you guys are getting to the inner rod, I was going to bend up and break a bolt, but with braided wire, you can use a braided spark plug wire. I have no time for getting that.
I think I can open up the top hole another .13 which would let the spring slip in nice.
I have a card stock version of the wiper, I need to figure out the wire tip and reshape the beak. I may shape up some metal for a stand in.
I found a glass marble with green stripes for the other eye, that is going be easy.

bbird3.JPGbbird1.JPGb-bird 2.JPG
The co-worker Im making this one for is a Matchbox designer, not sure if I should hack up one of his designs into a Gigahorse or make one into a Chrome Interceptor. I really wanted to do a small diorama, but times is a factor. I also have regular work to do.

got most of one together. resin sculpt, rest is metal, down and dirty wiper arm, missing washers and bracket in the mouth. Also still need to resculpt/sharpen beak.
I think some of the proportions looks fine for what I need.
I also need to get a correct acorn nut.
I think it looks ok overall.
and it bobbles.
a learning experience welding a spring, going to solder the next one instead.

nux bird  1.JPGnux bird 2.JPGnux bird 4.JPGphoto 2.JPG

let me try a video
it really needs to be bolted/riveted to a dash to get a good bobble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, here's something fun:

Just finished these up for the last group of people who ordered them through my Etsy shop and they're all updated with the new rounded "left eye".

003.JPG

But, whether fortunately or unfortunately, they aren't the perfectly rounded green-painted-black marbles or eyes (or whatever they are) as the original seems to indicate. No, because of my skull, I had to settle for something that I could get away with within budget and still, at least, resemble the original thing.

004.JPG

They're casts of modified carriage bolts I picked up from the hardware store. They're hemispherical so they sit better against the "eye cavity" of my bird skull. Same goes with the nut; can't use an acorn nut, gotta stay true with the hex.

One thing that I'm not going to change in light of the new stuff discovered in this thread is the guide rod. It's practicality of helping keep my bobble stable (from wobbling so far it becomes unbalanced) is too handy to sacrifice. It's going to remain a steel rod, for me.

Lookin good Poopa. I like the 'army' of bobbles. I wouldn't worry too much about the authenticity of your changes, they're still consistent with the world... Also, unless all of your buyers watch this thread, there's no way they'd know the difference ;)

Abelugo nice work as well! Hard to make out details with the gloss black paint. I thought it would be kind of cool to do variations like that though, chrome skull, rusted skull, etc. Could do him up in full chrome and magnet him as a hood ornament. Did you end up using a real wiper?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back