Mad Max: Fury Road - Nux Bird Bobblehead

Thanks .........I have This DSCF0073-vert.jpg to put it on /innot much of a dash though

Thanks I can't put it on the Hood? bonnet as there is a spare wheel on there I got fed up of searching for that base and made my own I have four different versions now.For something made of junk bits its given me the runaround.

Thanks 1976 ex Royal Marines air portable land rover runs on petrol or gas Some lunatic put discovery diffs on the thing speedo shows 30 MPH the thing is doing 90 mph a hair raising experience When You realise that You are overtaking just about everything on the motorway in a big lump of metal.

Hi, All. I'm really enjoying this thread. I have been racking my brain, and I've come up w/ possibly a CB antenna base or a cast iron barbell collar. I have found nothing that quite fits the bill, but I'm just spitballing. Worst case, I might try my hand at turning the rough shape on my lathe and fabricating the rest of the geometry.

Hi B Wo, welcome to the madness!
I ended up using a barbell collar for mine, definately not the part, but it makes a great place holder and doesn't fly off the dashboard! I've even found a few water pumps with a similar layout, but certainly not the "exact" piece! I did buy a 1950's Chevy throwout bearing and retainer plate, but it'll need a ton of "tweaking" to get close enough. The hunt continues.
Cheers, Jeff

Thanks, Jeff! I'll keep my ear to the ground; I've picked the brain of a few automotively-inclined fellows at work, but no dice.

PoopaPapaPalps, yours looks great. Is that a schedule 80 reducer coupling? It has the right shape and is definitely in the right spirit.

I'll have to try my hand at one, and let you tell me what you think. I drive a little '05 Honda Civic hatchback, so I'm thinking about scaling the whole thing down a little bit.

30 years ago I used to pick thru the old junkyards looking for parts for my 72 SS Camaro and Road Runners. We had to climb over rusty old cars from the 20's & 30's to get to the "good stuff". Wish I'd filled my pockets back then, cuz those days are gone!

Minsup. Hosetail. Coupling.

https://www.bakers.net.au/part/01348889/coupling-slock-ss-hosetail-sh20-20mm

http://www.westatehose.com.au/products-page/coupling-fittings/maxi-claw-couplings/

I consider myself fairly good at internet research - but after spending a bunch of frustrating hours searching down various paths online and finding nothing close, I posted the base query to an engineering forum. Figured getting it in front of as many eyes as possible was the only way this was going to get done. Took em a week or so and they made a lot of good guesses, and tonight somebody finally dropped this.

Luckily we don't have to feel too dumb, as it is an obscure part- from an Australian fittings company that supplies mines. No indication yet how difficult obtaining one will be, or the correct size - of course they would come in a bunch of sizes.

Cool link describing the minsup couplings and alternates in more detail:
http://www.smecoupling.com/couplings/airclawcouplings/

Last edited:
Minsup. Hosetail. Coupling.

https://www.bakers.net.au/part/01348889/coupling-slock-ss-hosetail-sh20-20mm

http://www.westatehose.com.au/products-page/coupling-fittings/maxi-claw-couplings/

I consider myself fairly good at internet research - but after spending a bunch of frustrating hours searching down various paths online and finding nothing close, I posted the base query to an engineering forum. Figured getting it in front of as many eyes as possible was the only way this was going to get done. Took em a week or so and they made a lot of good guesses, and tonight somebody finally dropped this.

Luckily we don't have to feel too dumb, as it is an obscure part- from an Australian fittings company that supplies mines. No indication yet how difficult obtaining one will be, or the correct size - of course they would come in a bunch of sizes.

thats freakin awesome and ridiculous, i was still searching malleable flanges last night.
sizing and shipping from AU is the the issue at this point.

found them on mcmaster-carr also, but hard to tell pics. they note it is also called a Chicago coupling.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#twist-claw-hose-couplings/=xr96cl

but here is one from AU that looks really close, I think the barb is about 3/4 to 1", also there is a female version without the hose end
claw hose.JPG

Ok I bought a couple- (note- not this exact one but one that is rather close, locally), if you guys want to wait for pics, I'll post it. I got a small lot of 5, so I may post the rest in the junkyard for cheap. We'll see-the seller allow returns, so if its too out of wack I can send them back.
These are the ones I got...
claw coupling.JPG

Last edited:
I agree, 3/4 or 1" should be right. It looks like there are a number of manufacturers of claw couplings that are similar, such as that image shows. 'minsup' would be the 100% match, but the above pic is 95% there and if the real deal prove impossible to obtain, the loss of the text will only bother the hardcore nerds.

It looks like the 'chicago coupling' kind have the claws and the same base but not the inkwell shape. I could be mistaken - and that curve could also be wiped in with bondo if we're cheating ;)

Also, I'm trying to find one with markings after the 'minsup' which match the film reference. Most of them are "A" or "SL" neither of which seem to be what's on Nux's base, although it is very fuzzy. Now we're nitpicking the details on the thing that was impossible to find an hour ago :lol

Yeah, lets see who can get somebody to ship from Australia!

I saw the 10 pcs lot from AU it was about 50 bucks, but 90 bucks shipping. I think that is one I got the photo from.

I think as long long as I get the inkwell and the proportion, Im good.

Last edited:
yes, but the seller shows on both US and AU.
I guess I would push for the one that had the UP on it. but this is fine. Will post an update when I get mine.

logan74k - Someone give this man a prize! Well done, fella; well done!:D

I would say most definitely go for the 1", for my similar-but-not-really coupler, I used a 3/4 spring and it comes off as too narrow. Get a 1" neck and a 1" diameter compression spring and you'd have it.

If you're gonna offer some for sale, Abelugo, I may have to pick one up from you. But seeing as how these will require some cutting, and me having only the most basic of handtools; I honestly can't say I'm looking forward to it.:lol

Well, done everyone! Applause all around!

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back