Ready, Set... CW Flash WIP (Pic Heavy)

Hey SMP I literally rarely ever use my RPF account but I'm doing flash for my kids on profit charity. I have ordered my cowl from.a friend in the states but I'm extremely picky about ensuring the suit is going to be as high quality as the cowl is. We work with big name groups like the kids hospital and make a wish and children's wish foundations etc so the suits need to look 100% believable. Are you making these suits available upon commission request and what would you charge me. Can you private message me via email c3directordave@gmail.com ?

I'm most impressed and don't believe any other suit would do The Flash justice. This show is also my favourite to the point I'm thinking of getting a Flash tattoo lol so I definitely would be thrilled to have one of your flash suits.

Hey SMP I literally rarely ever use my RPF account but I'm doing flash for my kids on profit charity. I have ordered my cowl from.a friend in the states but I'm extremely picky about ensuring the suit is going to be as high quality as the cowl is. We work with big name groups like the kids hospital and make a wish and children's wish foundations etc so the suits need to look 100% believable. Are you making these suits available upon commission request and what would you charge me. Can you private message me via email c3directordave@gmail.com ?

I'm most impressed and don't believe any other suit would do The Flash justice. This show is also my favourite to the point I'm thinking of getting a Flash tattoo lol so I definitely would be thrilled to have one of your flash suits.

I'll email you and we can discuss, thanks!

OK guys - here come the pants!

Before finishing the jacket, I wanted to get the pants together to make sure everything would line up properly. I began by altering the pattern according to the mock up that was fitted and started cutting the pieces. The upper sections of the front were assembled first with the piping that forms the top line of the lightning bolt. Next, the sections above the knee were assembled with their part of the bolt.

flash-pants-1.jpg

Before joining these two pieces and completing the bolt, I wanted to build the segmented knee area and add the lower front of the leg. The segmented knee was built with the same method as the backs of the elbows. The first step was to make a template of the entire knee and lower leg from the base pant pattern. There are four angled segments on the knee that are cut, edges folded under and stitched to the ponte base.

flash-pants-2.jpg

Once the template was complete, the ponte base was attached to the lower thigh and the segments were cut and sewn down. To make sure the segments had nice, crisp finished edges (and that the edges stayed under while I was stitching them), I lightly sprayed the back of each segment with Super77. I then folded the edges under (1/2" allowance - my standard) and the open area on the back of the segment helped to tack it to the base and keep it in place while stitching.

flash-pants-3.jpg
flash-pants-4.jpg

Once the lower fronts were assembled, I joined the thighs to complete the bolts and finished them off with all the top stitching detail.

flash-pants-5.jpg

Moving on to the back, I began at the top and worked my down each leg. The upper back segmented areas were assembled first. Then the rest of the legs moving down to the segmented section that makes up the back of the calf.

flash-pants-6.jpg
flash-pants-7.jpg

Finally, the fronts were joined to the backs at the outseam, the side panels were added and all the rest of the finishing (fly, inseams and waistband) was completed. Here are the completed pants by themselves.

flash-pants-8.jpg
flash-pants-9.jpg

And with the jacket. Note that the bottoms of the bolts on the jacket don't quite line up to the pants. This is why I didn't want to completely finish the jacket before the pants were done. It's a fairly simple process at this point to alter those seams to make everything line up, but it wold have been much more complicated if the bottom of the jacket had been finished.

flash-full-1.jpg
flash-full-2.jpg

That small detail will be fixed and the jacket details will be finished. Then, it's on to the boots, gloves and belt.

Stay tuned!

flash-pants-1.jpg

flash-pants-2.jpg

flash-pants-3.jpg

flash-pants-4.jpg

flash-pants-5.jpg

flash-pants-6.jpg

flash-pants-7.jpg

flash-pants-8.jpg

flash-pants-9.jpg

flash-full-1.jpg

flash-full-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the finishing update on this one - he's off today to his forever home. Here's how it all wrapped up (on my end, anyway).

I fixed the angle of the jacket trim to line up with the pants and then finished off the bottom edge of the jacket. The final details on the jacket were the snaps to hold the chest flap down, the velcro for the emblem and the zippers in the sleeves.

flash-jacket-22.jpg
flash-jacket-23.jpg
flash-jacket-24.jpg

With the jacket complete, I decided to take care of the gloves next. Using a basic pattern, I cut the upper hand and thumb from the patterned stretch material and the palm and inner thumb from the faux leather. These sections were stitched together to join the main pieces for assembly (note the solid red index and middle finger sections).

flash-gloves-1.jpg
flash-gloves-2.jpg

Next, the thumbs were attached and then it was time to add the fourchettes. Fourchettes (when referring to gloves) are simply strips of fabric that attach the upper and under sections between the fingers. Here are the fourchettes sewn in and the completed gloves.

flash-gloves-3.jpg
flash-gloves-41.jpg

The wrists were finished with a simple band of the patterned stretch fabric that extends up into the sleeve.The next major component to tackle was the boots. The base shoes for the boots were a pair of New Balance Minimus trainers. I began by using some scraps of comparable faux to 'sketch' out the pieces for the boots based on my reference images.

NB-Minimus.jpg
flash-boots-1.jpg

Once I had a decent mock up together, I was able to transfer the pieces to paper and refine the pattern.

flash-boots-3.jpg
flash-boots-4.jpg

It was then time to begin cutting and assembling the actual pieces. I began with the toe detail. I backed the gold fabric with a heavy broadcloth for stabilization and stitched the red section to it.

flash-boots-5.jpg

I then assembled the center front section with the gold detail. This entire section was backed with headliner foam to pad it and provide the dimensional detail.

flash-boots-6.jpg

The inner sides with the zippers were next. Both sides of the boots were lined in the same faux leather to provide support for the shape. The inseam was stitched up 2" from the bottom and the allowance was spray mounted down to the inside and rolled with a pin to get a nice, crisp edge.

flash-boots-7.jpg
flash-boots-8.jpg

Once this was done, the zipper could be easily stitched in without worry of the faux stretching or twisting.

flash-boots-9.jpg

The outer side was lined in the same manner and both sides were attached to the front. The center back was finished and the top edge folded over and finished. Here is the completed shaft flat and on the base shoe.

flash-boots-10.jpg
flash-boots-11.jpg

Next the upper was attached to the shaft, the whole thing fitted to the base, trimmed and glued in place.

flash-boots-12.jpg
flash-boots-13.jpg
flash-boots-14.jpg

The final piece of this puzzle was the belt. With the boots taped up and setting, I moved on to the pattern.

flash-belt-1.jpg

The belt is solid in the back and attaches to the buckle in the front with about a 2" gap. The lining of the belt has 4 snaps embedded into it that will hold it to the bottom of the jacket. Once the snaps were attached, the lining was spray mounted to the outer belt and the whole thing was edge stitched together.

flash-belt-2.jpg

For the buckle, I decided to use foam. I created the template in paper and bevel-cut the flat shape from 1/4" eva foam. I then cut a bevel out of the back down the center, ran a bead of hot glue down it and folded it slightly to create the crease in the front of the buckle.

flash-belt-3.jpg
flash-belt-4.jpg
flash-belt-5.jpg

I then spray mounted faux leather to the front of the buckle and stretched it over all the bevels. Lastly, I glued and trimmed the allowance to the back of the buckle to finish it off.

flash-belt-6.jpg
flash-belt-7.jpg

To attach the belt to the jacket, I created tabs with snaps that are stitched to the bottom edge of the jacket. These align with the snaps on the belt and ensure that it will not twist, fall or rise up during wear. The buckle attaches with industrial strength velcro.

flash-belt-8.jpg
flash-belt-9.jpg
flash-belt-10.jpg

The client has the bolts that go on the belt, so he will attach those himself. Here are pictures of the completed costume.

flash-complete-1.jpg
flash-complete-2.jpg
flash-complete-3.jpg
flash-complete-4.jpg

I'll be posting pictures of the costume in action as I receive them from the client (or, he might post some himself). Stay tuned!

flash-jacket-22.jpg

flash-jacket-23.jpg

flash-jacket-24.jpg

flash-gloves-1.jpg

flash-gloves-2.jpg

flash-gloves-3.jpg

flash-gloves-41.jpg

NB-Minimus.jpg

flash-boots-1.jpg

flash-boots-3.jpg

flash-boots-4.jpg

flash-boots-5.jpg

flash-boots-6.jpg

flash-boots-7.jpg

flash-boots-8.jpg

flash-boots-9.jpg

flash-boots-10.jpg

flash-boots-11.jpg

flash-boots-12.jpg

flash-boots-13.jpg

flash-boots-14.jpg

flash-belt-1.jpg

flash-belt-2.jpg

flash-belt-3.jpg

flash-belt-4.jpg

flash-belt-5.jpg

flash-belt-6.jpg

flash-belt-7.jpg

flash-belt-8.jpg

flash-belt-9.jpg

flash-belt-10.jpg

flash-complete-1.jpg

flash-complete-2.jpg

flash-complete-3.jpg

flash-complete-4.jpg

SMP Designs,wow,looks amazing :) btw will you make a leather cowl/mask for the suit ?? i ask you this 'cause i have some cool ideas for the cowl/mask

- - - Updated - - -
SMP Designs,wow,looks amazing :) btw will you make a leather cowl/mask for the suit ?? i ask you this 'cause i have some cool ideas for the cowl/mask

This looks really good. Nice to see more sewing skills. Would be interested if you ever decide to do a Zoom outfit. I think it is the same, minus some subtle differences.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back