Floquil Railroad Colors Lacquer and Enamel Paint Survey

Hi, any thoughts on this approach?.....anyone? Bueller.......Bueller........Bueller

Exit stage left to find a tumbleweed smiley.

Hi,
I learned about colors recently. CMYK value is information about printing. What we need is Munsell system. For example, car paint shop men use electronic devices which are very expensive.
But there's a problem. To measure the same munsell value, you need to measure under the perfectly same lighting which is very difficult(or impossible) because even under the same lighting, the device measures differently. To their eyes, sprayed on a styrene sheet don't look uniform color. Each area looks different hue to their eyes.

Well, here's an experiment to see if I'm approaching this the right way. I've been doing tests to find a good acrylic match for Floquil Caboose Red. Because it's time consuming I figured I'd also practice my chipped paint techniques which is why my test pieces look like this:

View attachment 563036

Both wings were primed with black Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500. The left wing was painted with Tamiya flat white and the right wing with Vallejo flat white. I sanded the white down and then began testing reds. I started with straight colors from the bottle that have been reported to be close to Caboose Red. Not so much. Then I began mixing. I'm getting closer with the Tamiya paints, which I like the best for the way they go through the airbrush, but the closest match I've got so far is a fifty-fifty mix of Vallejo Fire Red and Vallejo Ferrari Red. That's the test patch at the middle top of the right wing and it's butted up against the Floquil Caboose Red on the left wing.

I scanned the wings and took that into Photoshop. I used the 11 pixel sampling eyedropper and took three samples of each color and then averaged those RGB numbers. Here's what I got:

Floquil Caboose Red - R: 159, G: 22, B: 16

Vallejo Mix - R: 168, G: 20, B: 1

I didn't know what to expect because I don't know what size numbers indicate a big difference in colors, but they look really close to my eye.

Using the technique @stonky is talking about, would the idea be to add a touch more blue to the Vallejo mix to bring that number closer to the Floquil values? Would more blue slightly darken the mix and bring the red value down?

I figured I'd ask before shooting more tests because they take time, and if someone has an answer to help send me in the right direction that'd be great.

On the other hand, I'd be perfectly happy with the Vallejo mix as a substitute for Caboose Red on any X-Wing build.

Sorry for the long-winded post and thanks for looking.

Have you tried Testors Model Master Acrylic(Acryl) Caboose Red?

Has anyone tried the Badger acrylic railroad colors yet? Most, if not all, of Badgers color names match up with the Floquil color names. Maybe some of these will match???

Have you tried Testors Model Master Acrylic(Acryl) Caboose Red?

I've been avoiding the Model Master Acrylics because I find them to be fragile, especially when masking over them, but I will give this one a look. For what it's worth, I tried the MM aged concrete, which is meant to match the Floquil color, and it was a decent match, but not great. And it was how i learned the paints were fragile. Or should I say they don't have much "bite" to them.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been avoiding the Model Master Acrylics because I find them to be fragile, especially when masking over them, but I will give this one a look. For what it's worth, I tried the MM aged concrete, which is meant to match the Floquil color, and it was a decent match, but not great. And it was how i learned the paints were fragile. Or should I say they don't have much "bite" to them.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've been using Testors Model Master Acrylics and find they are tougher than Tamiya acrylics. I have had no problems masking over them. However I use Tamiya masking tape which is made for masking over hobby paints.

I attached a link below for Vallejo Acrylic Caboose Red that Micromark sells. It says it's color matched to Polly Scale paint samples.

http://www.micromark.com/vallejo-acrylic-paint-caboose-red-1-fl-oz-two-1and2-oz-bottles,11772.html

Interesting. I use Tamiya tape as well and have had the opposite experience. But I tend to use the lacquer based Tamiya thinner which gives the paint more bite. How do you thin the MM paints?

As for the Micro Mark Caboose Red, I tried it and unfortunately it wasn't even close.

I thin Testors MM acrylic paints with Testors Universal Acrylic Thinner 50496A. Maybe Testors MM Acrylics work better with their own thinner.

Testors MM Acryl is the main paint I use and have never had a problem. I mask over it all the time. I use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer and then the Testors MM Acryl. Maybe it's the Tamiya primer that the Testors MM Acrylic bonds well too.

I'll have to try it again then. I used exactly the same materials you did, including the primer and thinner, in a test comparing several brands of paints, and the MM acrylics were the only ones I had trouble with. I think I used one part thinner to four parts paint, IIRC. I also add a drop of a Flow Aid/Slow Dry mixture to keep it from drying in the airbrush. Perhaps I had too much Flow Aid in the mix which can impede curing.

I've never used FlowAid/Slow Dry or anything like that. I always apply it in several light mist coats. It sounds like the Flow Aid might be doing something to the paint. It might be taking a lot longer to cure with the Flow Aid. I find Testors MM Acryl to cure as durable as any lacquer.

Last edited:
@ VFX Freak, I agree that it is possibly the Flow-Aid that is causing your issues...are you thinning the Flow-Aid before adding it? It usually comes as a concentrate so needs thinning before mixing into the paint.

I know that the Liquitex Flow-Aid I have recomends that you, at a minmum, reduce it 1 part Flow-Aid to 10 parts distilled water and the normal dilution being 1 part Flow-Aid to 20 parts distilled water.

Too much Flow-Aid or using it undiluted can cause poor paint adhesion, or cause the paint to crack, or to remain tacky...

Also, I'm not sure if it is actually effecting the adhesion, but perhaps the use of the Tamiya thinner is contributing to the problem by over thinning the binders in the paint, you could try using Testors Universal Thinner (like crowe suggested) or adding back in a bit of clear acrylic medium to counter the thinning.

Last edited by a moderator:
imurme, I dilute the Flow Aid, but not as much as is recommended. I make a mix of 25% Flow Aid, 25% Slow Dry, and 50% distilled water. I arrived at this formula after a lot of experimentation, some of it resulting in paint that never cured, or paint that still dried too fast, but this mix has worked well. I add roughly a drop for every ten or so drops of paint. I've found it works great with Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics. Maybe the MM paint doesn't like it. I live in Los Angeles and am usually painting in very dry conditions. The paint dries too quickly and I get a grainy finish or tip drying if I don't use the Flow Aid mix. I can use less of it on a cool humid day. I did use the MM thinner meant for the MM acrylic paint, not the Tamiya thinner.

The best tip I've had in this thread is using the Mr. Leveling Thinner with the Floquil enamel paints. That and a little Floquil retarder works great.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give the MM acrylics another try because they do have some really good colors to choose from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
The Testors MM Acrylic paints also don't always need to be thinned. Under the right weather conditions they can be sprayed without any thinner. In a full paint cup I usually add a drop or 2 of Testors thinner. VFX Freak, it seems like you might be adding too much Flow Aid and Slow Dry to the distilled water. I've found that Testors Acrylics tend to be more 'rubbery' than Tamiya acrylics and quite possibly have a longer cure time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back