The Martian Space Suit

Nice :). More fodder for my 3D printer ;-).
If you need any help/assistance with the 3D file, I am happy to help if I can.

Greetings, Marius
That would be great! currently working on just getting the model of the chest assembly and the wrist fixed, then move on the fabrication. I'd love to have some input on what would be the best for 3d printing and what not when the model is nearly done!

Here are some caps of just the helmet lights for everyone's reference:

helmetlights.jpg

The back of the unit seems to have a heatsink, and the holes for screw placement indicate it's probably modified off the shelf hardware. My theory on the side disks is that they are symmetrical. Each light is interchangable with the other light?

The back of the unit seems to have a heatsink, and the holes for screw placement indicate it's probably modified off the shelf hardware. My theory on the side disks is that they are symmetrical. Each light is interchangable with the other light?

Or its for grip because its originally a handheld unit? The black ring looks like from one of these "tactical" flashlights, could there be one in there?

index1.jpgindex.jpgthrunite-tn12.jpg

Sooo, regarding the buckles I need your help.

This is my first draft of a parts list from AustraAlpin:
All in orange I am not quite sure of, and all in red is a wild ass guess.
chart.png

And for reference and so that we all talk about the same thing I've numbered them. The numbers correspond to the "Reference Numbers column"
AABuckles.png

All Input Welcome

PS: the reference PDF http://downloads.austrialpin.at/cobra.pdf

Last edited:
Or its for grip because its originally a handheld unit? The black ring looks like from one of these "tactical" flashlights, could there be one in there?

That's also posible, it's inside is probably a flashlight like that one. Was thinking that maybe the ring is not for attachment but simply the on and off button?

That's also posible, it's inside is probably a flashlight like that one. Was thinking that maybe the ring is not for attachment but simply the on and off button?

Possible, but wouldn't it be much more convenient to have On/Off at the back of the unit where the flashlight's button might protrude anyway.
I was curious about the back but I think we don't get a good shot as of yet.

Hey guys, did some more work on 3d modeling and here is the rough top version of the wrist monitor, still need to do the attachment and sides. WBE and I were thinking we could put this into a small kit which uses a smartphone for the display, anybody interested?

If you want to go for the phone inside I could whip up some custom Android App or something to simulate whatever the thing does in the end. But I guess for the reference on this we'll have to wait until release.

Say, that's a nice infographic.

And I, too, suspect the housing of the arm computer to be 3D printed as well, judging from the printlines. Odd that they didn't clean those up...

Here are my caps of the arm computer. Might make a neat case for your iPhone.

-MJ

Speaking of real life Nasa, they are starting to add 3D printers on the spacestation. That way they dont need the have the space to ship every little tool up to the station, Just send a file and they can print out the tool themself. Maybe it could be the same with this thing...

Sooo, regarding the buckles I need your help.

This is my first draft of a parts list from AustraAlpin:
All in orange I am not quite sure of, and all in red is a wild ass guess.
View attachment 489857

And for reference and so that we all talk about the same thing I've numbered them. The numbers correspond to the "Reference Numbers column"
View attachment 489856

Looks great! The only ones I am a bit iffy on are #7, #9, #10, #11, & #14 and that is just because I do not know whether the webbing width is 25mm or 30mm. Judging by the product pictures on AustriAplin's website, the 33mm two slot buckle looks to be a different style. Any thoughts?

Also, I don't know if we'll ever find out if there is a buckle or not underneath the backpack. If I were putting together a suit, I would include one for continuity purposes, but that is just me.

In other news, I just noticed in addition to the two front-facing white lights, there is a blue/violet light coming out of the back.

Cheers,
Ben

I am not sure about the 33mm either, I measured it from the image and the ratio between the big and the small buckle works out to 1,4.

45/33 = 1,36 reocuring
45/30 = 1,5
45/25 = 1,8

So its nearest to the 33mm ratio.
But that does not take perspective and angle and all that into account its just a ballpark calculation.

PS. I think it will look right either way +-3 mm wont make a noticeable difference.

Judging by the product pictures on AustriAplin's website, the 33mm two slot buckle looks to be a different style. Any thoughts?

There are 2 Versions one with the slight radius and one without. In the PDF they show them both. And they are both available in all the sizes we need.
Given you are also talking about the two variants on page 16 :)

Regards Flo

These are not the Compact model. It's a CRUX plate with 2 female adjustable FC45KWS.

Yes basically but this trio exists under one part number in their catalog.

Buckle.png

The Picture shows the 28 mm version

We need the FC90BV.

This is the FC90A: compact.png Its nearly similar just imagine the right female part is adjustable like the left one.

The compact refers to the plate alone in this instance.

Where did you order them from?

I bought some of the hardware via their AustriAlpin.net website.

I also found the carabiners that attach to the D-ring for the orange strap on the side!

$T2eC16R,!w0E9szNYhQqBRTZSGf9rg~~60_12.JPG

Per forum rules I can't post to active ebay listings, but shoot me a PM if you want the link.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back