The Martian Space Suit

Nice Soulinertia! I'm thinking about springing for a pair myself.

Finally, the big reveal...drum roll please!

The climbing harness used is a Wild Country Vision Ziplock Sport. It is not in production anymore unfortunately, which makes it very hard to find. The leg loops have been modified on the harness to add grey webbing and the leg loop support webbing in the back was modified to accept a Cobra buckle, but other than that, this harness appears fairly unmodified. I could not find it online in my size, a medium. If anyone finds a vendor that sells the medium in red, please PM me! I would greatly appreciate it.

Now, the next major source of action is to identify the padded belt underneath the harness :)

Cheers,
Ben

View attachment 488562View attachment 488563View attachment 488564View attachment 488565

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wild-Countr...574?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item541fe4b2ee
I'm guess ing this is it.

I think the belt is going to be a little rough because its grey, I wore the same style last Deployment, but maybe a FDE (Flat dark Earth) one can be dyed or we could wash the crap out of a cheap one to get the color out then dye it. I might get adventurous and straight up sew it which is what I think they did because the sewing is what a civilian would spec, the stitches are wrong for load bearing. I have spec'd out equipment for my team on the last 4 deployments and had to know stuff like this, maybe a custom gear shop I know would make some for me. but I may make it myself.

Last edited:
ITS is the US distributor for the buckles, impossible to go around them here in the states. I have tried because they gouge the hell out of us for them, I have a line on some chinese copies but they are not something I'd trust for climbing. there are at least 5 but probably 8 of them on the suit, I need to see the back of the suit. I see they have a plastic version we could use some magic painting techniques on to make it look right.there are some 2 stage paints that would make it look right.

That really stinks! Perhaps Floggy, as he lives in Austria, could source the buckles for us. But if not, the Chinese copies line would be great.

It is the right model, but the wrong color. The one you linked is red and black, while the one in The Martian is red and grey.

Cheers,
Ben

Awesome work guys. Here's my take on the patch.
ares-III-patch.png

The belt is a 5.11 Brokos, can be bought under VTAC or 5.11, same belt.

Beautiful patch, have a file you'd like to share? It could be used for the decals on other parts as well, I have a bunch of Apollo decals, I was born at the Facility, My uncle worked there and my mom went into labor, I was named after a test pilot that died the week I was born. I live in the Tampa area but go to the Cape some, more now schools out. The book was based on NASA in the future so I will look at stuff at NASA when I start sourcing other stuff.

Last edited:
The belt is a 5.11 Brokos, can be bought under VTAC or 5.11, same belt.

Are you sure? The belt in the reference pictures has grey webbing and accents around the edges. The VTAC Brokos does not have these accents.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:
Beautiful patch, have a file you'd like to share? It could be used for the decals on other parts as well, I have a bunch of Apollo decals, I was born at the Facility, My uncle worked there and my mom went into labor, I was named after a test pilot that died the week I was born. I live in the Tampa area but go to the Cape some, more now schools out. The book was based on NASA in the future so I will look at stuff at NASA when I start sourcing other stuff.

I have a run going if anyone is interested: http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=240861

Here are a couple different versions I whipped up:

ARESSealembroideredB.jpg
ARESSealembroidered2.jpg

If this is OK in the US I can source the buckles here in Austria and ship them to you. But I would need an estimate of how many of which type will be needed. I suspect they will have a lower limit if we want them anodized in orange.

You don't have VAT over there, if I am not mistaken?

Couple more caps of the patch from the crew video. Not great quality.

-MJ

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-6.32.05-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-6.32.05-PM.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 274
  • Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-6.32.33-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-6.32.33-PM.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 248
Say, that's a nice infographic.

And I, too, suspect the housing of the arm computer to be 3D printed as well, judging from the printlines. Odd that they didn't clean those up...

Here are my caps of the arm computer. Might make a neat case for your iPhone.

-MJ

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-6.28.42-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-6.28.42-PM.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 564
  • Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-6.25.11-PM.jpg
    Screen-Shot-2015-06-10-at-6.25.11-PM.jpg
    597.4 KB · Views: 1,151
I'm pretty sure about the belt, I ran a search based on texture, my have misused government resources a little. I think the greys cake may be off a little but I did notice the belt was available in black, if you bleach it to grey the nylon thread doesn't change colors it stays black. You can also dye fde grey if you go darker... I have found an easier alternative...buy the belt in grey that's close then stitch over in black. The alternative is an hsgi belt in grey but you lose the tricot style material.

I'm pretty sure about the belt, I ran a search based on texture, my have misused government resources a little. I think the greys cake may be off a little but I did notice the belt was available in black, if you bleach it to grey the nylon thread doesn't change colors it stays black. You can also dye fde grey if you go darker... I have found an easier alternative...buy the belt in grey that's close then stitch over in black. The alternative is an hsgi belt in grey but you lose the tricot style material.

If you look at the webbing, the stitching is irregular. I haven't found any battle belts with this feature yet. Perhaps a cheap knock-off...?

In contact with a Greek retailer for the Wild Country Vision v1 harnesses. They have plenty in stock. Would anyone be interested in a bulk order? I could run it. Luckily we speak Greek because they don't speak English.

In contact with a Greek retailer for the Wild Country Vision v1 harnesses. They have plenty in stock. Would anyone be interested in a bulk order? I could run it.

Is it the correct color? What's the price? If the price is reasonable and it is the correct harness, count me in for a medium!

Cheers,
Ben

Is it the correct color? What's the price? If the price is reasonable and it is the correct harness, count me in for a medium!

Cheers,
Ben

Yup the white/grey/red one. Waiting for a response when they open back up either tomorrow or Monday.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434159725.101646.jpg

Price would be around $90-95 plus shipping depending on how much they would charge for shipping and if I could get a discount.

If you look at the webbing, the stitching is irregular. I haven't found any battle belts with this feature yet. Perhaps a cheap knock-off...?

Yeah, I saw that, sometimes they get irregular stuff from manufacturers...5.11 is famous for giving away irregularities... maybe someone from costumes resewed it to fit other pieces from the movie, sometimes actors complain and they move stuff. It was sewed the wrong direction for load bearing...wouldn't last a week in Afghanistan.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back