Mad Max: The Wasteland

My fave is still the original, because I love a revenge flick done right. But I love a movie with a big heart and a humanistic touch as well. If Miller can do another revenge flick with a soul, with meaning (Kill Bill comes to mind, and in many ways so does Let the Right One In, though the climax isn't "revenge" per se) and take a breather from the messianic template of the last three, I'd be on board.

Doesn't say much about it being actually made but Fury Road is such a watershed film in comparison to the other films it was released with that year, and I think it will remain so for future years, that if no follow-up films ever get made, I would be fine watching Fury Road for the remainder of time.

Its all on Dr Miller, the studio would front the cash for both scripts now if they could get him to sign.

Still think the yellow paint under BoB`s black skin was done on purpose for future flashbacks or an entire prequel story. MM 1.5 or early MFP Max are my favorites. Would love to see more of the Bullet farm and Gas Town on screen as well though.

Addition - No one ever talks about the clean waters between 2 and 3. I`ve tried to work something but it always ends up with Max on some camels and I`m all about the wheels so that does not gel with me. If you picture the iconic MM2 closing shot with Max and Pappagallo`s rig being reimagined with Hardy and dare I say it..BoB, could be a starting point.

Last edited:
hardy was good, I want to see mel again, have them meet and hardy hands him the music box. then mel figures out he is the feral kid all grown up.

Yeah I'd really rather be as far away from youtube spawned fan theories as possible. Max movies always came across better as modern allegories or mythical stories. Possibly about the same person, possibly similar people, possibly unrelated. No way to know after much retelling. The Feral Kid thing with Fury Road, I never really understood why people were desperate for that to happen. It's explicitly stated Feral Kid goes an established path, and noone really seemed to care about Bruce Spence being in 2 movies, so why this thing with the Feral Kid?

Going that "it's all connected, all of it alllllll" and you get Lucas syndrome, everyone is everyone's sibling/cousin, the world is the size of a sandbox, only one family in a galaxy of trillions is worthy of mention, etc etc. There's several years of space between Max 1 and 2 even before Fury Road showed up, why not do something with that?

Or keep doing what Fury Road did: tell a story set in the Mad Max world. Who cares when it takes place? Just make the best possible film as you can.

Max movies always came across better as modern allegories or mythical stories. Possibly about the same person, possibly similar people, possibly unrelated. No way to know after much retelling.

This. Absolutely this.:thumbsup

Coincidentally, I felt this way with the Legend of Zelda games and even more so after Nintendo released that compendium retcon-ing the entire series. The fact that the familiar story is told time and time again, changing with those who are telling the story, and sometimes slightly altered to suit the time it's told in; that's what makes it legend!

Fury Road was so well crafted that it allowed me to totally accept the new universe but if they are going to go ahead with more than there is some obligation to give back story and foundation. Miller already displayed in Fury Road with so many nods to the past that he doesnt want to totally remove the audience from what they already know.

Or keep doing what Fury Road did: tell a story set in the Mad Max world. Who cares when it takes place? Just make the best possible film as you can.

This. Absolutely this.:thumbsup

Coincidentally, I felt this way with the Legend of Zelda games and even more so after Nintendo released that compendium retcon-ing the entire series. The fact that the familiar story is told time and time again, changing with those who are telling the story, and sometimes slightly altered to suit the time it's told in; that's what makes it legend!

Perfectly said. THAT'S WHAT MAKES IT LEGEND!

Retroactive continuity is the scourge of modern storytelling. Just let it be. Tom Hardy is Max and who cares when it's set.

I really have no idea what kind of story I want, I just want to be back in that world as many times as possible. It'd be tragic if we didn't get to.
Like how there were no Indiana Jones movies in the 90s - that would have been prime 'Indy fighting in WWII' territory.
Like how we won't get a Dredd sequel.

One of my favourite parts of Fury Road was when Furiosa was being hoisted into the citadel, she looks down and sees Max isn't joining her - he gives a subtle salute, a mark of respect, and turns to re-enter THE WASTELAND.

Can't wait!!!

N.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus: we need a new Max costume for everyone to obsessively recreate, right?
I've read that thread a few times over the years and I always get a kick out of the attention to minutiae.

N.

My main concern now is the hype. How can Miller live up to Fury Road?

That whole thing was storyboarded out pretty specifically in the early 2000s. Miller put the movie together recently but a lot of the creative work was from 20 years ago.

And then FR sneaked into theaters with absolutely ZERO expectations. Many of the reviewers & early audience probably didn't even appreciate that this was the original Mad Max writer/director. Not only that, but people also didn't seem to remember that the original MM movies were not steaming loads of crap. People's memories of the originals had gotten overshadowed by all the imitations.

Fury Road was largely a 20yo piece of work, and it faced MST3K-level expectations.

Next time it will be all recent work, and facing Oscar-level expectations.

I don't know about all of that. Based on what Miller said the two other scripts are a part of all the work that had been done over the years but either way it doesn't matter.
It's not like they're serpentine detective thrillers, they're straight-up action/adventure road movies.

He's got the scripts, he's got the perfect star, he's got his creative team and a golden brain for this stuff - I bet he'll knock it out of the park.

Positivity, guys!

N.

Hmmmm,

mm5.jpg

Posted on the official instagram yesterday after a year of nothing, should we be getting excited?. Got this from the madmaxmovies forum.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back