Kylo Ren: Belt WIP & Guide

Any word on the saber clip? This is one of those elusive little pieces that I haven't been able to track down. A metal male and female set would save a lot of people's days!

I'm pretty sure the clip is custom, too. Could be wrong, though!
Sni9er has a clip and holder(?) on his shapeways page.

Sni9er;

I'm sure you're already on this, but I think a good target price for a functional clip would be in the $30 range, I wonder if it's possible to get it to this target in a milled/cast part. I imagine it can be in aluminium to keep costs down I just don't know how robust the moving clip will be after a bit of use. Well, all about the quality of aluminium I'm thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
A machine shop is working me up a price for 50 off I think $30 may not be achievable in such small numbers but we will see

Yeah, all about volume. How many are you asking about to get this ball park price? I know kylo is popular but you have to be realistic so you're not too deep invested where you'll have to sit on an item for a year or more to recover the value.

If you need someone to split some costs I might be up kick in, would be worth it to get these out at a good price.

I know when I get my pipes machined it's a huge difference in price when I order 50 vs 20, by about half.

Such a simple method of making a straight line engraving in leather...so much better than the "clamp the metal ruler to the leather" guide method I used!

The belt is looking good Sni9er.
Have you worked out how the belt will fasten together?
Will you be using Velcro?
I'd love to see some pics of the attaching set up.

Re: Kylo Ren: Belt WIP & Guide

The belt is looking good Sni9er.
Have you worked out how the belt will fasten together?
Will you be using Velcro?
I'd love to see some pics of the attaching set up.

i'll be working on that real soon !

- - - Updated - - -

any news on the metal clip?

the machine shop still needs changes from me but i've been in helmet casting land haha !! progress soon i promise !!

Re: Kylo Ren: Belt WIP & Guide

i'll be working on that real soon !

- - - Updated - - -

the machine shop still needs changes from me but i've been in helmet casting land haha !! progress soon i promise !!

Working hard I'm sure! I dropped off the plans to the leather worker this weekend and I"m also interested in the closure.

My plan is to have the belt join together under the belt buckle, using the buckle velcro to hold both sides together. The only problem with this is I'm not really convinced this is the best way. It will need to be an exact size and leaves no room for error.

I also thought about a velcro closure on the back to allow for a very adjustable belt. The concern here is that the belt closure would end up visible. The capelet is not fixed and will move around and not completely cover the closure.

An overlap on the front would also work and would be hidden by the buckle, but if using nice thick strong leather, the height difference would be noticed.

Lots of questions, no answers. Brainstorming.

I think the cleanest way is the join at the front covered by the buckle. You'd need to have it really specifically tailored once you're wearing the costume to get it perfectly right and would need to use really tough industrial velcro to make sure it holds the weight of the belt, and potentially the saber if you decided to hook it.

So, where is my functional clip :cheers

dday i'm going to stealth a longer strip of velcro inside the belt hopefully my scribbles make sense, this should be totally invisible but give a much grater surface area on the hold & strength

but i think the belt length will need to be a tailored fit, since it will sit on your lower ribcage hopefully it will sit nice

JxoqtWE.jpg

Attachments

• JxoqtWE.jpg
    JxoqtWE.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 144
  • JxoqtWE.jpg
    JxoqtWE.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 56
  • JxoqtWE.jpg
    JxoqtWE.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 56
  • JxoqtWE.jpg
    JxoqtWE.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 49
  • JxoqtWE.jpg
    JxoqtWE.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 51
  • JxoqtWE.jpg
    JxoqtWE.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 60
Sni9er; interesting thought to put an additional piece on the back to hold it.

I'm concerned about the stability glued section though. The piece would also be stitched where it can be hidden but I think the glued section would just come apart after a few openings.

Don't you think that a front and back stitched velcro with the buckle cover on the front and a rear strip will be enough to hold it? Basically a strip the same dimensions as the buckle on the back. You'd have to use industrial velcro and not your standard low end stuff.

haha it's a hard slog to sew i'll give you that LordNecros

all in all it's taken me 5 hours just to sew the upper and lower edge strips using double saddle stich

can you give me a website of a good leather wholesaler that would sell me enough leather to make my own 5 inch wide by 38 inch long black strapping of leather? I'd even buy a large enough one, if it will make 3-4 of them, and split the cost with 2-4 others if it works...

if you posted a website to go to in the thread, sorry, I didn't see it...

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back