War for the Planet of the Apes (Post-release)

Re: War for the Planet of the Apes

Yeah, the time for the grinning, crazy eyes thing is long gone.

They better hide all the pot in the area to make sure, pretty sure that comes from him being lit all the time. The first one impressed me on how well John Lithgow played someone with dementia as it was pretty dead on. I'm still waiting to see if there is a tie-in with the originals other than the launch of the space mission in the first one they mentioned. Still their still several sequels in and none are as bad as Escape or Battle for lol

LeonBrill: Seated for FOX's 2017 film showcase, will be tweeting about the event. Films include: Alien: Covenant, Logan, War for the Planet of the Apes

LeonBrill: Asked not to reveal any footage plot points, only opinions. Planet of the Apes up first.

LeonBrill: One of the Planet of the Apes clips will be the same as the NYCC clip, 2 new ones will be shown as well

LeonBrill: Scene from human perspective at the beginning, absolutely brutal. This will really be a war film. #PlanetoftheApes

LeonBrill: Story and World of the film are bigger than expected. Begins as war film, becomes almost a Western. - Director Matt Reeves

LeonBrill: Second bit of footage was the one from NYCC. A bit more of the effects done this time around.

LeonBrill: Third scene: Horse chases, humor, and drama. Good to see the movie will have some great comedic bits. #PlanetoftheApes

LeonBrill: Steve Zahn, who plays Bad Ape, joins Matt Reeve on stage.

CzLOW7IXcAEQgVQ.jpg

I'm fanboying pret-ty hard right now. The first was a revelation, a total shock. I couldn't believe it was actually GOOD. The second not only didn't drop the ball, it upped the ante in a major way. I couldn't have adored the first two more. Here's hoping this new one is as awesome as it looks.

I'll be there opening night.

I have this fond fond memory of watching the entire original set of films with my dad while I was home sick from school as a kid. They kind of became a favorite of mine because of that.

The new franchise hasn't let me down, either. I loved the first two.

I really enjoyed the first two. Nothing compelling in this first trailer though, IMO.

Why the hell is Woody Harrelson in this... That took me right out of it. Its like casting Samuel L Jackson in a serious role...I cant do it.

Why the hell is Woody Harrelson in this... That took me right out of it. Its like casting Samuel L Jackson in a serious role...I cant do it.

I kind of thought that at first, too...but he was pretty good in a serious role in "True Detective," so I have confidence he'll do well. James Franco seemed like an odd choice when he was announced for the first film, but he ended up doing really well.

On a different note, do you guys think that they will eventually remake/reimagine the original film? These movies serve pretty well as prequels, despite the fact that the earlier films have basically zero sense of timeline continuity.

Or...

...do you think they'll make a few more of these films and have one of them end when the Icarus crashes back on earth, basically leading directly back to the original film?

Which would you prefer??

I havent seen True Detective, maybe I should check it out. I only can see him as Roy Munson.

I would say, if this one does really well, they could only take the story to the remake of the first film, timeline wise, cause thats basically where its going. Then again, there is quite a bit between what we are seeing now and the original. Thats a good question... I think I would prefer the second option.

A young actress named Amiah Miller has been cast as a character named Nova in this film.

It can't possibly be the same character from the original...as that film took place in like 3975 or something (can't remember off the top of my head) where our current films are set in a roughly "today" time period...so 2010-2020.

It's probably just reusing names, as they did for Caesar, Cornelia/Cornelius, Blue eyes etc. As you said, the movie is set around our time period, so it couldn't be the same character or even a similar role, unless there's more to the movie than they're letting on.

I've only watched the first two once each, but I did thoroughly enjoy them. Looking forward to this one. Maybe once it comes out on blu-ray I'll do a binge watch of the trilogy.

I have to admit these new ones have been fun to watch. I really do think they're prequels that will end matching the original continuity somehow while ignoring all but the first 2 original movies. Let's face it everything after Beneath was fun to watch but just terrible otherwise. They even had Taylor and his crew heading into space in the background of the first one. I agree with the reusing of names, even in the expanded stories of the originals Caesar was a name that was reused and the one Talyor meets was no doubt named after the one who led the rebellion and was the law giver.

I really liked Escape From the Planet of the Apes, but to be fair, it was the first one I saw. When I was a kid there was a two night marathon of all five at the local drive-in. Two the first night and three the second night. My Dad said he would take me, but for only one night. I picked the second night because I had no concept of sequels and such at that age. I figured 3 meant more so therefore 3 meant better. It was a few years later before I got to see the first two. First one is great, second one is crap up until the last ten seconds. Brett is nothing but a Taylor clone, simply dropped in because Heston didn't want to do it except for the last scene. I thought the whole singing to the bomb bit was ridiculous. and having anybody except Roddy McDowell as Cornelious seemed way out of place.

I also enjoyed Conquest. The fifth one really petered out though.

But I don't see how these movies could be prequels to the original one. In Escape Zira says the first ape to speak was named (I can't remember his name--Odo or something like that), but it was definitely not Caesar. Of course with time travel, you can always throw away continuity.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back