The New Mutants

I'm reading on Wikipedia, and it's apparently been confirmed now that it's not actually the Demon Bear storyline, just "very much inspired by that run on the comics." They also have said that all of the movies in the trilogy will be horror films, with each one being a different "kind" of horror movie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm... I never got a "horror" vibe reading the comics.
I always thought they were like the kids version of the X-Men.
As in, they were literally kids.
Oh well - we'll see.
I definitely want to see it, I was just hoping for something a bit more light-hearted.
They couldn't have gone further in the opposite direction from what I expected.
I'll still watch it...

Just give us an Excalibur movie, already.
I mean, that's what we really want.

Hmm... I never got a "horror" vibe reading the comics.
I always thought they were like the kids version of the X-Men.
As in, they were literally kids.
Oh well - we'll see.
I definitely want to see it, I was just hoping for something a bit more light-hearted.
They couldn't have gone further in the opposite direction from what I expected.
I'll still watch it...

Just give us an Excalibur movie, already.
I mean, that's what we really want.

I'm very interested in the blending of super hero and horror despite not the general vibe from the comics. But I feel like they cant recreate the comic New Mutants because that is basically what is happening in the X-Men Origins: First Class films.

Yes, I would love to see an Excalibur movie! Captain Britain!

Any forthcoming information / updates regarding this movie - since the October trailer ?

Ged

There's been a couple photos posted on the official Twitter, but the main update is that the release date has been pushed from April of this year to February of next year.

Edit: Dang, Vivek just beat me to it.

The movie release date has been pushed from April 13, 2018 to February 22, 2019. More info here.

Thanks for the updates guys . Man that does suck ! If the articles to be believed , a major reason it’s being delayed is so that it can be ‘ tweaked ‘ to be scarier ! why would the film need to be ‘ scarier ‘ ! I certainly don’t recall the comic series being overly horror orientated . Sure , some story arcs involved Limbo , demons , death etc... but , I don’t remember being horrified by them !?

I don’t get it ... :facepalm If it has to be delayed for whatever reason/ s , then so be it . As long as it’s not cancelled ! No chance of that right !?

Ged

I’m not on Facebook , Twitter or any of those social media sites . So my main info. fix regarding this film is from here . That being the case , does anyone know WHY the release dates been pushback yet again !? ... What’s the problem with getting this up on the screen ? Vivek ... a little clarification please !

:cheersGed

Last edited by a moderator:
As I posted in the other thread, X-Men: Dark Phoenix release date has also been moved from November 2, 2018 to February 14, 2019.

My guess is Fox Studios don't want both their mutant films to be released so close to each other. Then there is the factor of international release dates.

If New Mutants does end up releasing say one or two months after X-Men: Dark Phoenix in the US, internationally some countries would be premiering X-Men: Dark Phoenix during that time. That's probably why they are spacing them out with a gap of 6 months.

New Mutants was originally pushed back for reshoots and to tweak the tone of the film, but this second change in release date is more to do with Dark Phoenix. They likely want to get that movie right and they don't want to rush it just to meet the release date.

I hope thats true! (re: wanting to get it right)..

I have stayed away from reading too much about this... as when I first saw/read/got the impression that this had a 'horror' theme.. (or however you want to explain it).. I was a bit disappointed. (I hope that was wrong or has changed).. but I havent seen too much since initial trailer videos..

This was my youth!.. I was a HUGE "X" series comic collector/kid.. and the New Mutants played into this era as well.. (Same as X-Men, X-Force, X-Factor....etc..etc... yadda yadda)..

Anyone give some insight as to WHY the call was made to make the New Mutants film a 'horror story/show'?

Is this just a director thing/direction?

What spin gives it a horror feel?

As I thought back on where/how they would be pulling this from the comic book history.... the only thing I kept coming back to was Illyana Rasputin/'Magik' and her Limbo/Inferno story lines.... that could even be 'close' to a horror type setting? (and thats kind of a stretch, IMHO)

It's more so the studio probably than the director (Josh Boone).

From the Collider article:

"When the film was initially delayed, it was reported that Fox wanted to do some reshoots to make the movie scarier, even going so far as to add a new character. That still holds true, and while we hear the film tested well, it’s not “scary” enough. Director Josh Boone delivered a cut of the film that he was happy with, but Fox wants this movie to stand out as tonally distinct the same way Logan and Deadpool did."

I read that too...

I'm just not clear (or sold) on any 'horror' slant on the movie itself... as in WHY? (and where does it stem from? a general 'theme' they want the movie to have? or based on a specific story line from the comic they might be jumping in at?)

Its quite the turn off for me trying to swallow this 'horror/scary' spin..

I hope it turns out good. :)

Thanks @Vivek , whatever info shared here by persons in the know , like yourself is appreciated .
@xl97 , pretty sure I read somewhere that the filmmakers were ‘ borrowing ‘ from the - Demon Bear Saga !?
First introduced in New Mutants # 18 by Brilliant Chris Claremont & Incomparable Bill Sienkiewicz !:p , as you know !

Kinda of share your ‘ feelings ‘ as to why they’ve decided to take the ( horror ) route they have with my all time favourite Marvel characters (original team ) when I was collecting ... have my fingers crossed though , that the final product will show that the ends justified the means ! ... just wish it weren’t taking so long in coming to the big screen :facepalm

:cheersGed

ok.. thats make a little more sense to me.. (instead of a random 'horror' theme movie/franchise release.. its following one of the [known] story lines)

Kind of a bold move IMHO..

A new 'team'.
One that is already questionable about popularity or well known to most 'civilians'...(non-hobby/geeks)
To have their debut be set in a 'horror' style theme....

I hope it works out.

They NM have MANY great characters that allow not only great back stories... but awesome effects for the show.
(Sunspot, Cannonball, Warlock...etc)...

I hope this is not lost or drowned out by a 'dark' (visually) vibe.

(I'm not a fan of how 'dark', again visually, movies like Supes vs Bats.. or Justice League..etc).. I just always go back to: Did they not have a big enough CGI/effects budget? Why hide things with a 'dark/sepia' look to all the shots!!!? As old as things are now.. Iron Man 1 was still a great (effects wise) movie for me.. I think it set the bar, and that no movie effects should be worse, especially this many years later!

Heres to keeping our fingers crossed! :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back