The New Mutants

New Mutants Film ?

G'day gang ,
Having read that a New Mutants film was in the works ( being a fan/collector of the comics ) , was wondering if this project is still happening ?
Asking cause , apart from the few ' updates ' gleaned from various sites , it's been pretty quiet so far . Any updates/info greatly appreciated .
Cheers Ged.

Re: X-Men: New Mutants

Josh Boone: Last week shooting #newmutants

21479890_878060765681953_188423505220468736_n.jpg

:eek:confused:popcorn:p , - yeah all those emotions / feelings after watching that ‘ trailer ‘ . Been a NM fan from the beginning ( part of my early teenage years ) , so don’t really know what to think of that snippet . Guess they’re going for a darker aspect ( some story arcs in the comics reflected similar themes ) with these characters’ first outing , as opposed to what we’ve seen from other ‘ mutant based ‘ films . Can’t wait to see this , the first of many. ( I hope ) .

I'm a bit torn on this one. I firmly believe that superheroes work best when set in different genres (Winter Soldier, for example, is a 70's/80's spy thriller that happens to have superheroes in it), so I'm intrigued by the concept of mutants in a haunted house-style horror movie. It also fits fairly well with the idea that this is supposed to be an adaptation of the Spirit Bear storyline.

However, I'm not really sold on what we've been shown so far.

I will definitely be interested to see additional trailers to see if we get more power usage, etc.

My husband is less sanguine on the scenario than I am because he dislikes them cherrypicking storylines without build-up, but there's not much to be done in the Fox-verse as they have more or less separate storylines for their Marvel properties as far as anyone has said. In all honesty, I think that unless they're willing to take the time that Marvel has to build the MCU (and not try to shortcut it), the only way we would ever get a really proper adaptation of the X-characters would be a GoT or Westworld style television show. The stories that were told in the X-titles tend to be better suited to long-form storytelling over many hours, not just squishing them into 90-150 minutes, IMO.

Can't say that the trailer particularly impressed me nor make me overly interested in seeing the movie even though I'm big a mutant fan. Nothing about this trailer really screams New Mutants to me, it looks more like some generic horror movie than one about teenage mutants. Hopefully later trailers will show more of what this movie is about, which, hopefully, is just a comic book with some horror elements and not a horror movie with some comic book theming.

Last edited:
To me, it seems like the focus will be on Dani losing her parents & discovering she's a mutant, therefore, unable to control her powers. Since she can manifest others darkest fears or greatest desires, I think the horror aspect is a great setting. Then, when the Demon Bear shows up, there'll be confusion as to what's real.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back