Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Post-release)

Re: Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

You should see me.
I'm 45, and when I'm clean-shaven I get carded for beer.

You *******! Lol, enjoy it while you can. When I go out with my wife, people assume she is my daughter.

Wait, I guess that is not an entirely bad thing:lol

You *******! Lol, enjoy it while you can. When I go out with my wife, people assume she is my daughter.

Wait, I guess that is not an entirely bad thing:lol

Not at all. I think it's awesome.
I'm single - never married.
Every so often I "get lucky".
And more often than not it's 20-somethings.
So I ain't complaining. ;)
LOVE my youthful looks.

Now if I could just do something about this beergut....

True, we do, but in the mean time there's been so much Sci-Fi done right, inspired by Valerian, that judging from the trailer, it feels like nothing new, just another expensive CGI galore...
Honestly I have no desire to see this movie in theatre, neither does any of my friends. It's of course absolutely not a representation of the EU, but I wouldn't bet on a huge BO for this one. Unlessthe reviews are really good, I'd be even amazed if it manages to break even.

There's a few different types of film, and a few of those types are meant for cinema. This is one of those types. It will provide a totally different experience compared to the 40 inch at home - and considering how many people have an issue with movie ticket prices or can't afford to go regularly, I'm assuming that would mean most people don't have crazy expensive set ups at home either. Which is a real shame to miss out on something designed for booming audio and a huge, glittering silver screen. #moviemagic

I'm not claiming the film will be awesome, btw. But having seen a few reactions, I'm optimistic. Looking forward to this!

Yeah, as I said I'm not really looking forward to see this film, but that review doesn't sound very professional at all. I'd wait for more serious movie, see what's the consensus here. I can't help to feel some form of protectionism in it, like it has to be trash because it's not hollywood made (for that guy at least). Have no fear, European films are not going to overtake the US market today, nor tomorrow. Not even a chance. We simply can't muster the budget needed to compete, with the exception of Besson apparently, but it's probably the only one who can find 200M$ for a european film. That's like the budget of 20 "big" productions here.

I think that review was a little overly harsh. Fifth Element may have a better story, but there's still a lot to like here - especially visually. Plenty of fun sci-fi action, space battles, and eye candy. I think what I liked most is you can tell it's very much a passion project for Luc, and I admire him for it. Big Blue is still one of my favorites...

Saw this tonight. Ugh.

Lots of color and beautiful visuals, but the plot is weak and extremely predictable. Dane DeHaan is awful as the lead...he looks and sounds like an angsty teen and does not come across as the badass he's supposed to be. Cara Delevigne wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Their relationship felt forced and awkward and nearly all of the dialogue is painfully horrible.

Overall, it just felt like an entire film of "hey look at this!" moments. Unfortunately, the coolest one of those is the massive virtual-reality market sequence that happens about 20 minutes in. After that, the movie never got better. I lost interest very early on and never recovered.

I enjoyed it well enough. I liked Fifth Element better, but this certainly wasn't a waste of money.

Luc likes having weird blue performers in his movies, but not enough to let them live to the end.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back