Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Post-release)

I found the movie enjoyable. It was much better plot wise than many big budget movies coming out in the past while, and the visuals, costumes and CGI effects were interesting and unique. Yes, things seemed rushed at points, but not as badly as in other recent films based on books or similar content. I recommend this to anyone looking for both unique builds and a good movie. Money well spent,

So I saw it with my kid last week, and cannot really disagree with the previous comments about the storyline.

My only real beef was with the main character's seemingly passionless, dry performances.

I liked it enough visually, to like the film. The opening scenes on Mül visually reminded me of 30's/40's sci-fi/fantasy pulp cover art.

Although maybe they reminded me of a cross between Avatar meets Sea Monkeys. I dunno

IMG_6131.JPG

I'd watch it again on cable but wouldn't own it.

Visually stunning. Passable story. Questionable performances by leads that were, at best, miscast. I don't regret having seen it, but it's not on my list of must haves once it hits home video.
Also, I get the feeling that Rihanna was cast in the part for no other reason then that she is Rihanna. And that sequence went on for way too long. We get it. She can change into anything. Maybe it would have been more impressive if it was something other than Rihanna in a different costume.

Having collected and read all the 23 comic books cover to cover ... I loved this movie to bits ... there's so many references to the books and the worlds messieurs Mézières and Christen created ... so go see it ... and I do recommend to read the comic books too ... storywise TFA and R1 seem pale next to this pearl by Luc Besson - dedicated to his late father :)

Chaïm

I think this movie was good, I really prefer to watch this kind of thing than another transformers...spiderman or marvel...It's always the same thing.
Ok in Valerian, you can say that Luc Besson did something that can be like Avatar, guardians of galaxy, 5th element ec...But it's very interesting to have something different...I was not a big fan of Besson's last movies but with Valerian, he did an interesting movie I will buy in blu ray. So many details, and creations.

May be in the USA this did not worked but here in Europe I think the reviews are not that bad. In fact It's the movie you can like a lot or hate. It depends how you can feel about it. My advice : watch it with an open mind

I just returned from seeing the film. I really enjoyed it. It's at least as good as 5 element in my book. Yeah it did have Bruce Willis dry wit and a bunch of corny gags but the visuals were out standing. I thought the storyline was fine. Predictable? Yeah but very few movies out today arent predicable. It's far better than the farce awakens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just returned from seeing the film. I really enjoyed it. It's at least as good as 5 element in my book. Yeah it did have Bruce Willis dry wit and a bunch of corny gags but the visuals were out standing. I thought the storyline was fine. Predictable? Yeah but very few movies out today arent predicable. It's far better than the farce awakens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I liked it too. My main complaint is of the two leads. Bruce and Milla had an incredible energy that carried the 5th element. And that is lacking here.

I also thought the sexual politics of their relationship here was a bit dated. It felt a bit like old school cringe-worthy bond at moments.

But the imagination of this movie is unparalleled. And it all works. Nothing is confusing. These concepts come at you quickly but it's directed well enough that you are carried along with it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think both actors could have been older to better represent the original characters, no chemistry between the actors, and calling either actors in this context is a stretch , we have plenty of historical movies where actors hated each other on set and you cannot tell . These two are like anyone walking through the film, no acting.

visually stunning opening sequence and throughout , but for people to love films they must have love, empathy , pity for the main characters
in this film there was nothing

as I'm a VFX junky I'll buy it to see making of , and there are plenty of interesting subjects in this film to replicate .

Oddly enough, Rihanna was one of my favorite bits

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes, I understand that, but it is just like you wrote, a "bit", thrown into the story without any actual function to it. As much as I liked Rihanna and her Bubbles character, I can´t remember why it was important for the story. She was just a vehicle to get Valerian into that palace and rescue Laureline. And that whole sequence about Laureline and her rescue, superfluous, IMO. Maybe it was put into the movie to show him taking action and contrasting Laureline more, but that would be lazy character develoipment and story telling, iMO.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back