Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (Post-release)

Re: Luc Besson's Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

^ Nice layout, horrible execution. Looks like a "sketch" that was mistaken for a finished product.
I miss hand-painted movie posters :(

Still looking forward to the film, though.

Saw the trailer for this last weekend when my wife and I went to go see GotG2. It looks interesting, but I suspect it won't do that well. It reminds me a little too much of, say, Jupiter Ascending. Lots of bonkers visuals and such. Mostly, though, I think the French take on this kind of sci-fi is just a little too alien for American audiences. It looks cool to me, but I question whether American audiences will really buy into it, especially when it isn't connected to any other major franchise. Guardians of the Galaxy did well in no small part because it was a Marvel film and the brand carries value for current audiences. Valerian may be a well known comic in France, but it's completely unknown here.

Jupiter Ascending had a boring story, I do trust Besson when it comes to telling interesting stories, but I agree, there's a visual overload coming into theatres near you.

I absolutely agree with the comparison to Jupiter Ascending. As flawed as that movie is my take on it is that it was the Wachowski's homage to Valerian, Alejandro Jodorowski's comics, and other comics of that ilk (as was The 5th Element). I am hoping that it will be good enough to do otherwise but agree that it probably will not perform well here in the US.

I'm sure it'll do well in the European circuit (lot's more people know about Valerian's adventures and comic books than North American do);)

I'm gonna be there on opening day! I've been looking forward to this since I saw the first trailer. It may not be a big box office smash, but if it's anywhere as good as The Fifth Element, I will be pleased.

I'm sure it'll do well in the European circuit (lot's more people know about Valerian's adventures and comic books than North American do);)
True, we do, but in the mean time there's been so much Sci-Fi done right, inspired by Valerian, that judging from the trailer, it feels like nothing new, just another expensive CGI galore...
Honestly I have no desire to see this movie in theatre, neither does any of my friends. It's of course absolutely not a representation of the EU, but I wouldn't bet on a huge BO for this one. Unlessthe reviews are really good, I'd be even amazed if it manages to break even.

I really hope it does well. A good sci-fi movie is such a rare gem, but if anyone can do it Luc can! I'll be there opening day regardless.

I understand it was very inspirational material to so many creators but could it's thunder have been stolen back in the seventies and onward to the point
that it's not bringing anything new to the table?

I understand it was very inspirational material to so many creators but could it's thunder have been stolen back in the seventies and onward to the point
that it's not bringing anything new to the table?
That was possibly the problem John Carter had

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

IMO, John Carter just did it wrong and tried to mash the story up so it had bad word of mouth.

I've said it before but one of the main problems John Carter had was a lead who couldn't act.

Exactly what I was thinking. I started out typing is this the next John Carter? But thought I better explain it better.

I actually liked it. But I understand why it didn't make money

I liked it, too. Like, a lot, actually.
Though I did have issues with it.
Whatshisname was just not a good choice for John Carter.
I remember when I first watched "Band of Brothers" and I saw this guy:

R1K2vqA.png

The first thing I said was "OMG he'd make a great John Carter!"
And my buddy, who turned me on to the old books (I read them all), agreed wholeheartedly.
He looks like the John Carter described in the books.

But back on topic...
"John Carter" didn't work because every Sci-Fi/Fantasy film/book written/filmed/produced in the 20th century borrowed from it so heavily, that younger generations ignorant to the fact that this was the book that started it all saw it as derivative - and not as the PATHFINDER that it truly is.

That's the fate I'm afraid "Valerian" will suffer.
But it looks AMAZING, so... who knows.
I'm not invested in it enough that I hope it makes billions of dollars.
I just want it to be good.

I was a bit worried about Dane Dehaan being cast in the lead, but then I watched "Two Lovers and a Bear".
The guy's pretty good. At least Leo DiCaprio good. Which isn't great, but it's above average.
I hope he can carry this film, and I hope Cara pulls her weight.
I think she will. I have a suspicion she'll be the stand-out. (or maybe just a hope... I want her to be good, because I think she's gorgeous and I want to see more of her. She reminds me of a young Lauren Bacall)

Last edited:

That dude looks soooooo much younger than his actual years.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back