Kylo Ren Saber hollow hilt for electronics

It is a hollow print, exactly as Gustavo modelled it, except for the two part body due to the print size.

Our mutual acquaintance roygilsing; just got a new printer and I'm working to convince him if he might be interested in running a print of this for me. I'm sure he will do it, he is itching to use his new printer and he is a lightsaber guy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Our mutual acquaintance @roygilsing; just got a new printer and I'm working to convince him if he might be interested in running a print of this for me. I'm sure he will do it, he is itching to use his new printer and he is a lightsaber guy!

Haha! Is this some kind of mental pressure Derrek? [emoji3] these jedi mind-tricks don't work on me you know!!
I'll make a print for myself and see how it goes. It'll take several days to print such large parts!

Haha! Is this some kind of mental pressure Derrek? [emoji3] these jedi mind-tricks don't work on me you know!!
I'll make a print for myself and see how it goes. It'll take several days to print such large parts!

Noooo! No pressure from me, I think with you having a new toy, as well as liking sabers, you're itching to get this one rolling. I do expect quite a bit if time to finish it, but I'm sure it's going to be great when its done.

- - - Updated - - -

Just really looking to bring you into the conversation somehow :D

Just really looking to bring you into the conversation somehow :D

Well, because of you and Dan I was already following this thread with great interest!

By the way: why is the size of this saber still an issue if it was showing at Celebration?

Well, because of you and Dan I was already following this thread with great interest!

By the way: why is the size of this saber still an issue if it was showing at Celebration?

Good question. From a guy who did some analysis of the prop at celebration it was assumed to be longer and bigger than this model, but based on the trailer (Guabe's design) where Kylo pops it out and turns it on, that saber is smaller. Also the celebration prop looks to be a casting of the original due to the seams on the prop and slight deformation of the emitters. Best guess is this is the C7 one was a rubber stunt, and the one in the trailer is the real deal Hero version thats made with dueling inserts.

But it would be safe to assume that both are equal in size, no? And then the one at SWCA could have been judged accurately I guess.
By the way guabe : very nice model you made!

Ok, here's my print, mostly cleaned up (still have to work on the seam, the body section was printed in two parts as it would have been too big otherwise) and next to my Obi Wan for size reference:

http://i.imgur.com/Jqxriet.jpg

Thanks again for sharing that model :)

Well done Dan! I can't wait to see it completely finished :)

If I can help someone out with a print in this quality no matter what you can PM me. I use a form1+ printer with stereolithography. Every FDM printer has a lower resolution than that but you still have to do some clean up at the points where the print supports stick.

But it would be safe to assume that both are equal in size, no? And then the one at SWCA could have been judged accurately I guess.
By the way @guabe : very nice model you made!

My guess is they have at least 2 sizes of saber, the stunt dummy is larger and made from rubber, will not take a blade and you can bonk people with it and go "homey don't play that."

The other saber that is likely smaller based on the size comparison is a hero version that is smaller and 3d printed.

We know the C7 prop said it was 3d printed but based on the seams and drooping side emitters it was a casting. This is all just pure conjecture that there is another version, but it seems plausible.

I think the only thing that can stand a little updating on Guabes most excellent and well thought-out design is the switch that is mostly hidden from view on the prop display. There was a post giving a better view of what it should look like somewhere in here.

Ok so I am almost done with it, it looks really good however the side spikes are no lighting up as well as the main blade... they light up but not as i would like. The only reason i did not put leds on them is that i am using a color changing igniter 2 board with the Z6 led. I believe i can have additional leds connected so i might do the upgrade shortly... In shapeways the newer model has two channels so you can run wires on the inside for the saber spike leds.

Anyways here are some pics.

KRsaber0021.jpg

KRsaber0022.jpg

KRsaber0023.jpg

KRsaber0024.jpg

now with the blades:
KRsaber0010.jpg

KRcolors01.jpg

KRcolors02.jpg

Thanks to all for your comments, i like where all of this is going and it is great that we have such a community. I am working with Sni9er to add the saber clip i will be using his design since its already perfect and there was no need to make another one. This should be the final touch.

here are a couple of quick videos showing a couple of fonts i bought at saberfont.com

thats sick haha

By the way Luke I printed your clip and belt clip and it fits great (thank you), I am only making a standoff for the saber clip that matches the body profile and the holes on the clip so it can be secured by screws.

Almost done with that, pics to come.

Wondering when they will get some new Biscotte boards in...
guabe; What board did you end up using?

I notice that the biscotte has a Flash on clash option, did you add this power extender?

I"m not looking to do the color changing, just a good red, was this a special option you have in your board or something I need to worry about programming out?

I'm a saber electronics noob, for sure.

Ok, so I built a shopping cart got all the parts on the top list with the exception of swapped out the battery for http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Panasonic-Li-Ion-18650-37V-3400mAh-PCB-Protected-Rechargeable-Battery-P853.aspx.

Based on the voltage it should work with this board. Should there be a battery holder, or how do I keep this thing from rattling around inside the saber and banging into the board?

Also, question about the switch thats used for on and off, any suggestions?

I saw some stuff also about a wiring harness? I'm guessing I need one of these as well?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back