The official Cosplaysky's AOU Captain America Costume

Steamer definitely helped some, but there is one bend right in the upper mid section from shipping that is very hard to get rid of.

I just went to get the jacket altered. We tried detaching one sleeve to button to an under armor shirt, but the tailor was not happy with it and said that she though navy blue gussets of a stretchy material was a better solution, so I am taking her suggestion and she is reattaching the sleeve and going that route. Interested to see how it turns on.

I also wanted to get the jacket shortened but she didn't want to mess with the zipper, so I'm either going to tuck it or fold some of the excess under with the clips I purchase that will be hidden by the belt anyway since I bought extra clips.
I hope her gussets work, a few other guys tried it without a ton of improvement. The issue they run into is the gussets would need to go nearly the full circumference of the sleeve to do much. If it's just in the arm pit it won't really do a whole lot as it will still pull up at the front and back of the sleeve joint.

You could add snaps on the pants and the bottom of the jacket to help a little with that.

Seamstresses don't like it because it's a very unorthodox way if doing things, but they do it that way on the movie suits for a reason lol

Either way let us know how it works out!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I hope her gussets work, a few other guys tried it without a ton of improvement. The issue they run into is the gussets would need to go nearly the full circumference of the sleeve to do much. If it's just in the arm pit it won't really do a whole lot as it will still pull up at the front and back of the sleeve joint.

She is going to put them from the red stripe to red stripe. Part of the problem was, since I don't have any extra fabric, even though I got a very close matching under amour shirt, you wound up seeing a lot of the under amour shirt even when I wasn't moving too much. I can handle some limited range of motion, but not being able to lift my arms at all was my biggest problem (especially since I'm going to be working in the costume on Friday), and even then I could almost live with it, so long as the gussets provide at least some relief, I can live with it.

She is going to put them from the red stripe to red stripe. Part of the problem was, since I don't have any extra fabric, even though I got a very close matching under amour shirt, you wound up seeing a lot of the under amour shirt even when I wasn't moving too much. I can handle some limited range of motion, but not being able to lift my arms at all was my biggest problem (especially since I'm going to be working in the costume on Friday), and even then I could almost live with it, so long as the gussets provide at least some relief, I can live with it.
Honestly on mine you can't even see the extra fabric I added except in the arm pits.

Hope it works out well!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Finally got a pic in the suit. However, I was kneeling at a Make A Wish Function so you can't see all the mods.
kneelingCap.jpg

I picked up one of these suits and did a few things different than others. The jacket was a bit tight, like most people so I had the tailor let it out the shoulder/arm connection... he was able to get about 3/4 of an inch total from each side which helped a lot and made the chest stop pulling. Also like most, the sleeves are a little short but the gloves cover it. It was also long, like most. The jacket also rode up, like most. As for the pants, the waist was bigger than I needed due to their sizing combination. I used this all to my advantage. I put two sets of buttons on the inside of the jacket (two in front and two in back) and made two garters that go from the front buttons to the back buttons -- through the legs. The garters are made from elastic and when I reach up, help hold the jacket down. The jacket is tucked into the pants and the belt sits at the waistline. This combination allows the jacket to ride up and down without coming out of the pants -- using the extra length of the jacket. The jacket seems to slide well in the pants and only pulls a little when reaching but the crotch keeps them from riding up. When the arms go back down, the elastic pulls the jacket back down to its proper position and you do not need to keep tucking your jacket in or pulling it down. It seems to work very well so far... wore it to work today and was somewhat comfortable...

I was also interesting to hear what everyone else has done with this costume and thought I would just add my two cents. Mine only arrived last Saturday and the zipper was broken in the jacket... so I have not done much other than get to get the zipper replaced and let it out a little to get me through the Halloween weekend. It would have been nice to have read this post prior to purchasing... but live and learn.

By the way, I am 6'2" tall and 205 pounds with a somewhat athletic build. The costume was a size large and with the small alterations and needed new zipper, it looks like it was custom made for me. In the future I will likely replace the belt and harness as they do look pretty cheap.

My Cosplaysky AOU uniform with helmet by TheRocketeer. I skipped the gloves and gators. This getup is hotter than heck, no? I wore a football helmet cooling liner to control the sweat. How does everyone manage to stay cool?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446527572.631683.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446527338.178465.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1446527372.451995.jpg

@ Mrchezem Looks good bud very nice photos, to be honest the lack of glove and gaiter do not detract much from the suit at all.

I was at a Concert in a smaller venue with about 3000 people for Halloween and they had the heat blasting. Needless to say I spent a lot of time outside with the smokers due to getting heat stroke wearing this damn thing. Don't get me wrong I love the attention you get wearing this thing, not only that I can't count how many people ask to hold / take pic with my shield. I'm starting to think they designed this thing as a polar snow survival suit.

overall I am happy with my setup the only two things that still bother me are the gloves and that my jacket is too long. For those that do wear the Cosplay sky gloves that come with the suit, the texture part of the material will rub off and become shiny brown if you wear them a couple times. Ill try and take a pic so you can see what I mean but they are not quality and do not look good even before the stuff peels off.

I just got my suit in the mail the other day and tried it on. I love the fit of the top. The pants need tailoring for sure.

I will post pics later of my suit. And just like the rest of you, I plan on doing the following to improve upon it:
-- eventually make it a separate vest and sleeves for mobility (will have to wait until after halloween as I am working on too much to get it done before)
-- tailor the pants (they need to fit more like a slim or skinny pants, not loose fit like they are now)
-- already made my own belt and will update it more, but I may use the buckle hardware to help as a closure for my belt
-- make my own gauntlets
-- make my own gaiters
-- already have my own harness with magnets to hols shield (did a recent day long test of this at a wizard world con and it held up great)
-- eventually replace the arm and glove "magnets" with actual working magnets
-- eventually weather the suit
-- paint the grey vinyl areas a dark navy blue
-- update the avenger A logo

I was able to get a few items on my list taken care of before Halloween:
- I painted the grey vinyl areas navy blue. I used regular acrylic paint and mixed the color that I was happy with. I added an acrylic pearlizer to my paint to give it a slight metallic look.
- I tailored the pants. I took out easily four inch wide strips of fabric on each leg.

I also updated my belt slightly and changed up my pouches a little. I had to do a quick fix for the "A" on the shoulders. I printed out a new one and laminated it and used mounting take to hold it on the sleeves until I can get/make "A"'s that I am happy with.

I used the pre-existing gaiters and gauntlets since I was running out of time, but I cut the fingers out of the gloves and used my own under the gauntlets. I sewed the extra hand strap thing that the suit comes with to the gauntlets to make it easier to put on and look a little better (this worked out pretty good). I also painted all of the red areas more red.

The length of the jacket works for me, I have a long torso. I may shorten it a little bit and attach the belt to it.

I wore it out on halloween while taking my son trick or treating. I was about 55 degrees out, so not to bad and I was comfortable. I could easily see this getting very hot though.

I'll post more/better pics soon, but here are a few:

IMG_9525.jpg IMG_9289.jpg IMG_9284.jpg

@ Mrchezem Looks good bud very nice photos, to be honest the lack of glove and gaiter do not detract much from the suit at all.

I was at a Concert in a smaller venue with about 3000 people for Halloween and they had the heat blasting. Needless to say I spent a lot of time outside with the smokers due to getting heat stroke wearing this damn thing. Don't get me wrong I love the attention you get wearing this thing, not only that I can't count how many people ask to hold / take pic with my shield. I'm starting to think they designed this thing as a polar snow survival suit.

overall I am happy with my setup the only two things that still bother me are the gloves and that my jacket is too long. For those that do wear the Cosplay sky gloves that come with the suit, the texture part of the material will rub off and become shiny brown if you wear them a couple times. Ill try and take a pic so you can see what I mean but they are not quality and do not look good even before the stuff peels off.

I live the Rockies it starts to loose a lot of heat once it drops under 35 degrees, had to wear thermal underwear with the suit. It was cold and just snowed for Halloween up here. So short story it's not a polar survival suit.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back