Deckard PKD Gun Scratchbuild

Yo Haystack!
I love this thread, and will be following with interest!
I also experimented with pewter casting for my Blade runner cop badges for my film. I tried molding with plaster molds. Important thing is that they are completely dry, so I baked them in an oven and also left them to dry in the air. The castings were turning out ok, but the problem was that during demolding the molds ALWAYS broke. So it was the whole process of baking and drying them over and over again for every cast. Which was too time consuming and frustrating.
In the end I found some random silicone that withheld the temperature without problem. And that was a really crappy silicone so I'm sure the ones you can get should be totally ok.
Pewter melts at what? 200 - 250 celsius, so it doesn't harm the molds.
Aluminum on the other hand is a different thing.

If you want to see my mistakes check out this post from my thread and keep up the great work:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=206196&page=11&p=3408008&viewfull=1#post3408008

No photos, but today I did some experiments with pewter and I have discovered that several metal casts can be made in just an ordinary RTV silicone mould with no damage to either.....obviously the rubber won't withstand repeated use, but it should be fine for what Jem and I have in mind

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back