Kylo Ren Soft Parts.

Goodwill is your best friend! Most muslin (at least that I've found here) is around $2.99 per yard but you can get a king size bedsheet for the same price! As for tutorials check out what Amidala did with hers: http://forum.501stsithlords.com/index.php?showtopic=9148

There are a few things I'm going to be doing differently with mine (and I'm slow as a frozen snail) but her build is SO detailed and a VERY helpful resource!

I had no clue about that section over there so THANK YOU. Looks like my work day is shot :lol

lol models are so difficult to work with! :p You might be in luck, he should bulk up when you include the other two layers of pleats (sith lord help us...). Otherwise, it looks fantastic! I wouldn't know where to even start if I was making a pattern from scratch. :)

I was thinking about the body of my inner shirt (with the pleated sleeves) and while I didn't really think about it at first, the more I did, the more I realized that the body of that shirt is going to have to have some stretch to it. The sleeve material obviously has no stretch, hence the need for zippers to make them form fitting, but if that body material doesn't have stretch it'll be like being zipped into a plaster cast. I want something sturdy for the body, but that is still stretchable. I was thinking maybe a stretch denim for the body? That way there is still some range of motion, but it's not too stretchy, which would cause the arms to sag over time. Any thoughts on that? I like the detachable neck seal idea!

View attachment 508291

Because if I put a thick layer of stiff cotton, covered in a thick layer of wool, covered in a lined cotton knit, he will not survive the 90-100 degree heat. This will let him breathe and if I do it correctly will still be completely accurate on the outside. There will also be a detached "neck seal" made of the wool fabric, because as far as I can tell from ref pics it's the wool fabric but just in case I'm wrong I can just re-make it without trashing the whole shirt.

That's an awesome idea! I hope it works out, being in South Dakota Kylo will be awesome to wear when it's the December premiere, ha!

I just got back from the Joann's. I checked the stretch denim, but it just wasn't stretchy enough to work and provide a full range of motion. I ended up with some stretchy sportswear. Still thick, but stretchy enough to provide a full range of motion on the arms. I am hoping to have this part of the build be pretty form fitting as well. With the exception of the outer coat material I have all of my fabric in hand. Ready to get started on this thing! :D

Sooooo on an FB group for Kylo we've came to a new stunning conclusion that the outer fabric has not just a lining layer but a separate layer under that seems to be tacked to the outer

I've been tracking down that fabric after i uncovered a 21MP shot from vanity fair

K0s0JNW.jpg

close up on the part in question:

jH8WbEN.jpg

then i finally after a tonne of searching found the correct name "Plisse"

zPErDMT.jpg

Victory!! this was found this in a local fabric store it's wool which lines up with the exhibit plaque regarding the "Mid Coat" they have no more stock I will send this to Annas & Paul for my costume but we've yet to find a sustainable source for others to purchase, watch this space I will continue to hunt in the meantime a suitable alternative could be seersucker cotton dyed black which also has the puckering (ripples) i'm still trying to find a good source of black wool Plisse for other folks though. so don't despair just yet ^^ here is the cotton substitute i mentioned smile emoticon - https://www.etsy.com/.../white-ripple-seersucker-3-mm-per...

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice find on the fabric, that looks spot on. I tried to make the case a while back on the SLD that the mid coat was a layer of wool roughly the same size and shape as the top coat, but I got shot down. I still think it looks like that to my eye, and that everything pleated is the same material, but it's hard to say having not seen it in person. I don't think it's tacked down to the top though. You can see in the VF video that the layer between the pleats and the blows around freely, separate from the basket weave. here's my quick illustration of this.

Just realized I may have come off a bit whiny earlier. I didn't mean to complain about it. :p

The actual point I was trying to make is I don't think the layers are tacked down. By tacked down, you mean the wool layer is sewn to the top coat a couple inches in from each side, right? Looking at the high res picture and especially the way it moves in the video from that photoshoot, I think the flaps are entirely separate from one another. It looks to me like each layer has its edges rolled back and stitched down but not to each other. I sketched out what I see in the video as seen from behind.

If you look at the video or the areas I highlighted in my other pictures, you can see the flaps blowing around pretty independently, and you can also see that there's a lighter rectangle in the middle of the top coat where, because of the loose weave and not having a second layer, you can sort of see the snow behind it.

Anyway, I hope I haven't misunderstood your descriptions. I know we're all playing the same game of striving for accuracy without the patience to wait for better references lol :)
Your floral mock-up is fantastic, so I'm sure whatever you go with will look great. And thanks for that high res photo, it's super helpful! Gives me a much better idea of textures, and I had totally missed the seam along the side of the pleats there.

What if it's not tacked down each edge, and not completely separate either, but just a small tack down the bottom of the coat in the very center? It would allow the midcoat to follow the outercoat when blown upwards, such in the second picture, but also allow the sides of the outercoat to separate slightly, so we get something similar to the first pic where it looks like just the outercoat which is somewhat see through (seeing through to the "snow"?). Sorry for the run on sentences.
I think everyone's doing an amazing job picking this apart with only the references we have, especially so far out from the film as well :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back