JURASSIC WORLD Owen Grady Costume

Here's a few photos of my finished costume at last night's opening night of JURASSIC WORLD. On a Triumph Scrambler (the bike he rides in the movie) and in a replica JP Jeep to boot, which definitely helped put on the finishing touches. Really happy with how it all came together. Felt like a looked the part after painstakingly working on this trying to get as SA as possible! Seem to pay off as well as everyone at the theater loved it and was surprised how spot on it looked.

View attachment 488737

View attachment 488738

View attachment 488739

View attachment 488735

View attachment 488736

I'll update with some photos of my custom made Leatherman pouch. I had a friend who is a leatherworker make me one based off the photos from Dragon Leatherworks and it came out really good! Was also really happy with the sub knife I found. Very similar handle shape and blade shape based on the photos posted and the wooden handle has a similar look as well as the three metal pins. Even came with a really nice leather sheath that could easily have that leather loop added so you can wear it horizontal with your belt. Will also add in some of the photos of the Red Ryder Mod I did. That gun is super to disassemble and spray paint silver. Then sand down the wooden stock and stain it to a darker greyish blackish brown. This is the scope you want. It's very close to SA. Trying to find a con alternative. Unfortunately the closest thing that is con permissible is a toy Winchester, which doesn't have the same stock shape...but it'll do the job.

Dude! Great build and Bonus Points for getting Krystle Starr and Jurassic Park Fan Girl in there with you!

Finally I decided to buy a watch. I do not know for certain wich model it is.
It´s a Casio G-Shock (If you look closely to the below photo yo can see the lettering)
unnamed-2aa.jpg

It´either GA 100 or 120
Presumably all black body (they painted the buckle black, so they could do that to the G-SHOCK and PROTECTION lettering. AD they did that on other productions)
You may think I´m wrong (and probably I am) to see hints of green on the watch hands.
So I chose:
GA-100C-1A3_2_1024x1024.jpgGA-100C-1A3_3_1024x1024.jpgGA-100C-1A3_4_1024x1024.jpg
May be some day we ´ll know the exact model and then choose the correct one.

Also, before you point it out...yes, I know I apparently resemble Jake Johnson's Lowery character - the heroic hipster Nedry. A lot of people have said that the past two days. No matter how much I try to be the motorcycle riding, Raptor whispering badass, I'll always be the computer nerd with dinosaur toys. haha

View attachment 489016 View attachment 489015

BUT this has inspired me to start working on that costume. Coincidentally I already own THE EXACT pearlsnap shirt he's wearing in the film. It's a brand sold at Urban Outfitters called Salt Valley (apparently costume designers use that brand in a lot of movies and TV shows).

View attachment 489012 View attachment 489010 View attachment 489011

They sell the vintage-style weathered Jurassic Park logo baseball t on the official Jurassic World online store (luckily it's $18 and not $150 on ebay like his!). The hipster horn rims and that model of retro Casio watch (it's either the A158W-1 or the A168W-1) can easily be found on Amazon. Seems they used a lot of Casios, augofett! UPDATE: From this photo, it looks like a A158W-1, which doesn't have as much labeling on the face as the A168W-1.

View attachment 489074

I'll have to see the film again to get a glimpse of the pants he's wearing. Doubt we ever got a look at his shoes. But he seems like a Converse kind of guy.

Thanks for the tip on the Salt Valley shirt. I knew Colin utilized Jake really nicely in Safety Not Guaranteed and I had a feeling he might have some good lines in Jurassic World. I absolutely loved his character. I'm putting this costume together ASAP! Though I will say the official "ringer" JP shirt on the site you posted has the wonky JP logo with odd lettering. I'll keep looking for a closer match to Johnson's in the meantime.

Had a great time with the JP Explorer here in Houston this past weekend. Now I can focus on tracking down Pratts blue shirt now that the premiere madness is over. Has anyone tried one of these vests? http://www.newamericanjackets.com/product/movie-jurassic-world-2015-owen-chris-pratt-vest.html

Here's Owen from head to toe which I wore to the premiere. Want to do some weathering on the vest for con season but very happy and comfy costume.
11251162_10204532990745994_7198145214957163858_n.jpg

I also decided to add Lowery to my list. I recognized the Salt Valley shirt by style and found one on Poshmark for $10 bucks in my size. I didn't even bother checking here but that would explain why a medium I was watching on eBay inexplicably disappeared ;)

Last edited:
Question:
May a fellow member recieve a Leatherworks Leatherman pouch (of course I will buy it) and resend it to me in an USPS envelope with a "gift" tag? I´ll pay the shipping cost via PayPal.
Thank you!

Last edited:
I just ordered the leather cargo pouch vest...I got large, which I hope isn't too big. I'm afraid to place the order for the shirt because the sizing issue. Many of the reviews say go a size down; however some say larges should purchase smalls. I'm a medium/large because of my chest, so I'm cautious to purchase a small...

Just ordered the Casio GA100-1A1:
IMG_3381.jpg

I'm looking at these Dr Martens Chelsea (2976) in predistressed Aztec leather. Same tread pattern, just in the air wair material:
dr-r15271201-b.jpg

Here's Owen from head to toe which I wore to the premiere. Want to do some weathering on the vest for con season but very happy and comfy costume.
View attachment 489547

I also decided to add Lowery to my list. I recognized the Salt Valley shirt by style and found one on Poshmark for $10 bucks in my size. I didn't even bother checking here but that would explain why a medium I was watching on eBay inexplicably disappeared ;)

What search terms did you use on Poshmark to find one? On a whim I stopped by an UO and of course they had none in stock, even in close-out. They did a computer search using the SKU (26108498) and it turned up 0 company-wide. While searching she apologized for their computer being as slow as a dinosaur and then laughed because I had already shown her the photo of Lowery. One employee that knows their products pretty well (according to her) saw the movie this weekend and didn't even recognize it as their product. She said the Bruce Lee DJ shirt Tony Stark wore in Age of Ultron was theirs and has since been hard to find, for example.

What search terms did you use on Poshmark to find one? On a whim I stopped by an UO and of course they had none in stock, even in close-out. They did a computer search using the SKU (26108498) and it turned up 0 company-wide. While searching she apologized for their computer being as slow as a dinosaur and then laughed because I had already shown her the photo of Lowery. One employee that knows their products pretty well (according to her) saw the movie this weekend and didn't even recognize it as their product. She said the Bruce Lee DJ shirt Tony Stark wore in Age of Ultron was theirs and has since been hard to find, for example.

I actually just searched for Urban Outfitters shirt and there was one sitting there. Pure luck. But the site is helpful for finding stuff when eBay fails, But like I said, just pure luck.

The leathergoods for the entire film were not made by the production designers, they were bought from Dragon leatherworks, I recently spoke with the owner of the company and the guy who actually did the work. He is working on something for me now that my wife is buying me, a sheath for my cargo pockets to hold my case knife, my inhaler a challenge coin and 5 rounds for my snubnose, all in one sheath. he also made the Raptor mitts for the movie! the sheaths are very expensive but they should be easy to source, I tried getting him to send me pics of the sheath and pieces he made but he is under some order until the international release and the Art books are out. I'll forward what he sends me when I get it if you want, I want him to make me a sheath like in the movie for a knife that was made for my unit before we went to Afghanistan, so I can carry it on my belt, I hate vertical sheathes.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing this done, it was a good production design. Chris Pratt is a Gun guy and a hunter so a lot of the stuff was adjusted on set after he got it on, I'm sure. Although I did see his beautiful Marlin 1895, he described as a Savage (Savage owns Marlin so I'm sure it says it on there somewhere, Mine doesnt) and I did see the beautiful LEVER action fired 4 times on screen without a single lever movement. It pains me to see that stuff, it totally took me out of the movie and made me second guess him as an actor if he let that go.

Edit: Seems I talked to the wrong place, I spoke with Dragon Holsterworks in Ponte Vedra Fl, just wanted to update that because That guy evidently is blowing smoke and he must of told the wrong person, Cant get ahold of him now, all I have is a reciept for my payment of $250 and no product, gotta love the internet, third time I have been taken this year so if anyone mistakenly gets ahold of the guy (His name is Dale Daniels) do not give him money. I just Googled the Stuff from Dragon Leatherworks, they are the same pictures the guy sent me in my email so beware of who your dealing with. You want to make sure your dealing with Dragon Leatherworks. if its ok with them, I'll put a link here to their business. I hate to see someone use someone else's work to scam people but I guess it happens. Even worse thing is that I met him at a Wounded Veteran function where he was taking deposits for work, hope someone catches the guy. I'm calling the Sheriffs department tomorrow to see what can be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck and I'm looking forward to seeing this done, it was a good production design. Chris Pratt is a Gun guy and a hunter so a lot of the stuff was adjusted on set after he got it on, I'm sure. Although I did see his beautiful Marlin 1895, he described as a Savage (Savage owns Marlin so I'm sure it says it on there somewhere, Mine doesnt) and I did see the beautiful LEVER action fired 4 times on screen without a single lever movement. It pains me to see that stuff, it totally took me out of the movie and made me second guess him as an actor if he let that go. I did notice for a couple scenes the rifle switched to a Marlin 336CS in what looked like 357, maybe because they were easier to convert to fire blanks. I noticed because I own both a (SS) 336 and an 1895, love them both but the 1895 kicks like a mule. BTW the rounds on his rifle look more like 444 Marlin than 45-70's like mr pratt has described.

I've got one of these on the way via Amazon from a company called Flesh & Hide. They seem to make a lot of replica jackets and from what I could find they are of decent quality. Just wondering how you guys weathered them? Methods, etc. I know the basics to weathering leather but I was just curious what you chose to go with.

Reference: http://http://amzn.com/B00YBL6IAU
61uT3pD5GNL._UL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one of these on the way via Amazon from a company called Flesh & Hide. They seem to make a lot of replica jackets and from what I could find they are of decent quality. Just wondering how you guys weathered them? Methods, etc. I know the basics to weathering leather but I was just curious what you chose to go with.

Reference: http://http://amzn.com/B00YBL6IAU
View attachment 490567

Personally I wouldn't. I mean I guess someone has to order a custom vest eventually and hope it turns out right but I bought the Jafrum vest and really like it. It's black but you can use leather polish and weather it down which is what I'm doing. It was well worth the money for the quality too.

Personally I wouldn't. I mean I guess someone has to order a custom vest eventually and hope it turns out right but I bought the Jafrum vest and really like it. It's black but you can use leather polish and weather it down which is what I'm doing. It was well worth the money for the quality too.

You mean you wouldn't weather it or wouldn't order this version?
The price was right for me and I had some extra money to throw around so I figured what the heck. It'll work for now, hopefully, and if I need to I can inVEST* in something a little higher quality later. I would have loved to make a custom one but I don't really have the skill set and tools for that. Once I get it I'll post some pics and a review of it if anyone is interested in this option.

*Sorry about the pun; couldn't help myself.

I got the motorcycle vest in large for $89. I'm really nervous about how it will fit though...same goes for the shirt.

I don't know if it has been posted yet as I haven't read the whole thread, but Jonathan A Logan made the vest. He posted it on his facebook page this week and it's available. He is a very nice guy, but you'd have to email him for a price. His jackets are usually around $800. So I can't imagine the vest would be more than $500. But it would be made in the exact leather and from the same pattern And he would make it to your measurements. Good Luck.

I don't know if it has been posted yet as I haven't read the whole thread, but Jonathan A Logan made the vest. He posted it on his facebook page this week and it's available. He is a very nice guy, but you'd have to email him for a price. His jackets are usually around $800. So I can't imagine the vest would be more than $500. But it would be made in the exact leather and from the same pattern And he would make it to your measurements. Good Luck.

Yep, someone in the thread had contacted Logan and he priced the vest at 750.00 It's on his website for ordering now - http://www.jonathanalogan.com/cp-jw-vest.html
:)

I'm surprised no one moved my photos over from the facebook group. But here are pictures of the screen used costumes that were on display at the amc theater at universal city walk

uploadfromtaptalk1434733177217.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434733202125.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434733225945.jpguploadfromtaptalk1434733240863.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434733256192.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434733271307.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434733288077.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434733302329.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1434733317099.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434733330948.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434733343443.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1434733353990.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back